All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:06 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/dou ... -1.4214807

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:49 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Isolated 57km/gust .. Hay River July18/8pm-metar (closest to the southwest of Lutselke).

Near same time .. so maybe two birds with one ?

(News article is 2 days after, on July 20.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:36 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/flo ... -1.4219631

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:48 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

I've been reading Dave Olesen's blog for a while now, can't believe it was him - but very good to know he's alright.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:07 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

Dave posted a blog entry about the incident in question. Interesting read.

https://bushedpilotblog.wordpress.com/2 ... lie-green/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:16 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Great story. Great ending.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:10 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Yes, some good lessons in that story.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:39 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

What a well written story, glad it all worked out. It's well known but worth stating again; the Olesen's are real gems of the north. Inclement weather had me put down at their lodge one day. And while they filled me with sandwiches and hot coffee, Dave imparted on me some knowledge that only a local pilot can give. I left happier, wiser, and slightly envious of a life spent living and flying out on the East arm.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:12 am 
Rank 10
Rank 10

NunavutPA-12 wrote:
Yes, some good lessons in that story.

What are the lessons? I have only the minimum required float time so I am curious as a completely inexperienced float pilot. Should the takeoff not have been done with waves that size. I wonder what the forecast winds were. Were they stronger than forecast?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:38 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

The "lessons" have nothing to do with flying or with decision-making! I would not presume to pass judgement on a very experienced pilot like Dave Olesen.

The lessons are: File a flight plan or itinerary. Have a "bail-out" bag handy. Carry some survival items on you (matches at least). Wear your lifejacket. Be prepared to swim (nobody is coming along on a Sea-Doo to pick you up). Be properly dressed. Wait on-site for the cavalry to arrive (because they will if you did item #1).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:01 am 
Rank 10
Rank 10

Some of the lesson is that describing a floatplane operation environment cannon do justice to seeing it, and learning it (or choosing to reject, and wait). The valuable experience in the reading and listening is to create the awareness, that "out there", you're going to see situations, conditions, and topography which are new, and a new combination. You have to apply your knowledge to making the most, and reducing risk. Yes, tuck your landing into a cove, leaving yourself an over run out into the bigger water if your judgement is poor. Recognize wind vs wave vs swell direction - don't take off across swells. Your best education will be right seat with a very experienced pilot into many different places. The waving of arms and curving of hands as that pilot describes where they will land and take off, and why, is the experience you'd like to build.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:55 am 
Rank 10
Rank 10

NunavutPA-12 wrote:
The "lessons" have nothing to do with flying or with decision-making! I would not presume to pass judgement on a very experienced pilot like Dave Olesen.

The lessons are: File a flight plan or itinerary. Have a "bail-out" bag handy. Carry some survival items on you (matches at least). Wear your lifejacket. Be prepared to swim (nobody is coming along on a Sea-Doo to pick you up). Be properly dressed. Wait on-site for the cavalry to arrive (because they will if you did item #1).

None of those are lessons(in my opinion). Those are all standard stuff that everybody either knows or should know. I want to know what will prevent the same from happening to me so I won't need to apple the post-crash lessons.

Was this just a case of waves too big, a freak wave that can happen, improper control input, wrong technique(with correct technique described). You obviously were not there so I don't expect you to answer those questions but they are the type of questions that should be answered so the other stuff you mentioned is not required.

While both are important, my preference is for the preventing an accident lessons.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:56 am 
Rank 7
Rank 7

Maybe not lessons for you pelmet but it's worth stating for those with less experience.

Armchair quarterback here but after reading his story again I'd say it was a freak set of circumstances that blew them over. His description of the water surface says it all. Rough water is usually waves blowing in one direction but here he describes a more random water surface. In these conditions it doesn't take much for an offside wave to expose your wing to the full grip of the wind. It gets more tenuous as you commence the takeoff run, becoming light in the water but still getting banged around. Always a small sense of relief as you break away from rough chop like that.

I wonder how much that egress training played in him staying calm/collected enough to grab a few survival items for use on shore.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:25 pm 
Rank 10
Rank 10

Mr. North wrote:
Armchair quarterback here but after reading his story again I'd say it was a freak set of circumstances that blew them over. His description of the water surface says it all. Rough water is usually waves blowing in one direction but here he describes a more random water surface. In these conditions it doesn't take much for an offside wave to expose your wing to the full grip of the wind. It gets more tenuous as you commence the takeoff run, becoming light in the water but still getting banged around. Always a small sense of relief as you break away from rough chop like that.

Thanks....now we are getting some lessons learned and to keep in mind and to print out to put in my floatplane flying book for future reference.