Plane nearly ran out of fuel after pilots forgot to bring up landing gear

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

My new favourite, funniest aviation story.

Post by complexintentions »

"I thought something sounded different".

If you haven't flown the sub-continent, this may seem unbelievable. If you have - just another day.
India A320 at Kolkata and Nagpur on Jul 22nd 2017, "inexplicable" performance degradation.

By Simon Hradecky, created Tuesday, Jul 25th 2017 19:35Z, last updated Tuesday, Jul 25th 2017 19:37Z

An Air India Airbus A320-200, registration VT-EXE performing flight AI-676 from Kolkata to Mumbai (India), was climbing out of Kolkata, however achieved an unuusally poor climb rate, was not able to accelerate to normal cruise speeds and levelled off at FL200 after a continous climb for about 30 minutes. The aircraft subsequently attempted to continue the climb but could not climb above FL240. The crew continued the flight at FL240 and about 310knots over ground for another about 45 minutes then needed to divert to Nagpur (India) due to running low on fuel. While on final approach to Nagpur, when the crew was about to lower the gear, the crew discovered the landing gear had remained extended all the flight. The aircraft landed safely in Nagpur, about 530nm west of Kolkata, about 2.5 hours after departure from Kolkata.

The aircraft remained on the ground in Nagpur for about 2 hours, then departed again, achieved normal climb performance, climbed to cruise level FL360 and landed safely in Mumbai with a delay of 3:45 hours.

On Jul 25th 2017 the airline reported both pilots were de-rostered due to not retracting the landing gear after departure from Kolkata and continuing to fly without detecting that the landing gear was still extended despite the unusually poor performance. The occurrence is being investigated by the airline.
AvHerald Link to Story
---------- ADS -----------

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: My new favourite, funniest aviation story.

Post by North Shore »

Rote learning, paint-by-numbers, and then missing a line on the checklist?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

You're too kind. Certainly we've all missed a line on a checklist. And sure I've been slow to raise the gear, say on an unexpected go-around, or in the sim with much going on. It happens.

But flying for over five hundred miles wondering why it won't climb and we're burning fuel at a horrendous rate and there's this really loud noise I don't recall being there and say, are those three green lights usually on in cruise?

Uh, no.

Frankly my only surprise is that they managed to cheat Darwin by not running the tanks dry and unceremoniously crashing.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Hope these guys don't bid long haul where you might not have an airport nearby. :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Inverted2 wrote:Hope these guys don't bid long haul where you might not have an airport nearby. :lol:
Or, if they must bid long haul, let it be to anywhere other than Canadian airspace. :idea:

Dim
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dim »

Is there a gear speed on a 320?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

That was my first question. Also shouldn't take 2 hours to refuel and go again. Maybe gear overspeed inspection?

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

Dim wrote:Is there a gear speed on a 320?
Vle is 280 and I believe mach .67.. i always laughed that they had a mach speed.. figured it would be for a positioning flight not this!

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

There seem to be a lot of people who don't believe this happened.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 6/#e2fac87

It certainly did.

As Complex said - it's India. You have to have flown there to understand the complete mayhem that passes for Aviation.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Eric Janson wrote:There seem to be a lot of people who don't believe this happened.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 6/#e2fac87

It certainly did.

As Complex said - it's India. You have to have flown there to understand the complete mayhem that passes for Aviation.
Yes, as a person who never worked in the airline industry and no international experience of any kind, I would definitely find this incident hard to believe. However I do acknowledge your expertise and experience in that this situation did really go down as advertised. Could it be said that this incident is the product of two individuals who really shouldn't be upfront at the controls of a commercial airliner not the overall situation in India itself. Air India is a flagship carrier who has been applying it's trade internationally to all points for some decades, kinda seems unbecoming of such as flagrant disregard of specific aircraft knowledge.

PS. I was offered an ICAO secondment to Indonesia and India 15 yrs ago but declined the offers as I didn't see myself suitable to those areas of the world, although money and working conditions were attractive.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Plane nearly ran out of fuel after pilots forgot to bring up landing gear

Post by phillyfan »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/ ... -low-fuel/

The faster we get those self flying planes the better.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Plane nearly ran out of fuel after pilots forgot to bring up landing gear

Post by cgzro »

in France the Airbus engineers are no doubt having fun because this sounds like a brand new problem that they can look to automate away as opposed to all the repetitious and non creative failures of late.

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

Aww darn. I hate it when I forget to raise the gear.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Cracker jack licenses I hope...

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Didn't realize the bus is so quiet with the gear extended in cruise... surprised none of the cabin crew or the front end crew noticed the noise.... :rolleyes:

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Anybody remember the pwa or cp 737 that landed in terrace with same issue, 30 odd yrs back. Use yer checklist

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

The checklist does no good at all when the gear pins are left in.

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

rigpiggy wrote:Anybody remember the pwa or cp 737 that landed in terrace with same issue, 30 odd yrs back. Use yer checklist
Certainly do! I also recall the two in question tried to courier the gear pins back to the original departure point in an attempt to cover their tracks...not the first attempted cover up by the Captain in question, he had problems, but enough was enough...it was a PWA crew. Fired...

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Liftdump wrote:The checklist does no good at all when the gear pins are left in.
Okay, I've done this. C'mon, hands up...who else has? Flew YTS to YMO in a very SLOW Racer.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Old fella wrote:Could it be said that this incident is the product of two individuals who really shouldn't be upfront at the controls of a commercial airliner not the overall situation in India itself. Air India is a flagship carrier who has been applying it's trade internationally to all points for some decades, kinda seems unbecoming of such as flagrant disregard of specific aircraft knowledge.

PS. I was offered an ICAO secondment to Indonesia and India 15 yrs ago but declined the offers as I didn't see myself suitable to those areas of the world, although money and working conditions were attractive.
Good move declining Indonesia - no safety culture whatsoever. Their accident record speaks for itself.

As for India you are dealing with a totally different culture and you cannot think in Western terms.

Corruption is normal as is "influencing" to get jobs especially at places like Air India. There's a whole group of people running around with forged hours and fake licences - a few have been prosecuted and the rest has been swept under the rug.

With the right connection you are immune from prosecution and any kind of accountability.

This is just another in a long list of accidents/incidents related to their way of doing things.

The only thing that surprises me is that they don't have more accidents.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”