Pilots warned to stay alert for Toronto incursion risks

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Pilots warned to stay alert for Toronto incursion risks

Post by pelmet »

"Pilots warned to stay alert for Toronto incursion risks

31 AUGUST, 2017 SOURCE: FLIGHT DASHBOARD BY: DAVID KAMINSKI-MORROW
Cockpit crew representatives are urging pilots to stay disciplined and alert during ground manoeuvring at Toronto Pearson airport after a series of runway incursions at the hub.

Most incursions have taken place during operations involving the closely-spaced parallel runways 06R/24L and 06L/24R, says the International Federation of Air Line Pilots' Associations.

It says 10 specific "hotspots", where the risk of incursion is particularly high, are shown on diagrams for the airport, which features a complicated set of controlled and uncontrolled taxiways.

IFALPA says its partner association, ALPA, is strongly advising crews to review the airport information and "remain vigilant at all times", and to request clarification of instructions prior to crossing runways – particularly when the parallels are in operation.

Transportation Safety Board of Canada has opened a probe into the incursion situation at Toronto over the five years to June 2017 in order to identify underlying safety issues.

This investigation is to concentrate specifically on the south complex, which includes the closely-spaced parallels.

TSB says this complex has characteristics which are "not found" at other airports, and the probe will look at factor contributing to incursions between the two runways, which are only 1,000ft apart."

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... -k-440735/
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Pilots warned to stay alert for Toronto incursion risks

Post by pelmet »

August 8th,

"N226NN, an Embraer ERJ 170-200 LR aircraft operated by Envoy Airlines, was conducting flight ENY3765 from Chicago/O'Hare Intl, IL (KORD) to Toronto/Lester B. Pearson Intl, ON (CYYZ). After landing on Runway 24L at CYYZ, the flight crew was instructed by ATC to hold short of Runway 24R on Taxiway D4. The clearance was read back correctly, however the aircraft crossed the hold short line for Runway 24R and was instructed by ATC to STOP. The aircraft came to a stop short of the runway surface. C-GMWJ, a Boeing 737-700 aircraft operated by WestJet as flight WJA16 from CYYZ to St. John's Intl, NL (CYYT), was in the early stage on the takeoff roll on Runway 24R at the time."

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

August 14th....

"N728YX, an Embraer ERJ 170-200 LR aircraft operated by Republic Airline, was conducting flight RPA3553 from Newark/Liberty Intl, NJ (KEWR) to Toronto/Lester B. Pearson Intl, ON (CYYZ). After the landing on Runway 24L at CYYZ, the flight crew exited on Taxiway D6 and was instructed to hold short of Runway 24R. The tower controller observed the aircraft approaching the hold short line at approximately 20 knots of groundspeed and instructed the aircraft to stop. The aircraft came to a stop across the hold short line. ACA878, a Boeing 787 aircraft operated by Air Canada from CYYZ to Zürich-Kloten, Switzerland (LSZH), was departing off Runway 24R and passed overhead RPA3553."

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

ALPA has now issued a bulletin....

"RUNWAY INCURSIONS at TORONTO AIRPORT

Background The Transportation Safety Board (TSB) of Canada issued Aviation Safety Advisory A17O0038-D1-A1 to alert flight crews of the potential for a runway incursion to occur while operating at the Toronto/ Lester B. Pearson International Airport (CYYZ) airport. The TSB is conducting a Safety Issues Investigation (SII) that focuses on runway incursions. Since March 2017, there have been several runway incursions involving U.S. air carriers.

The CYYZ Airport layout consists of multiple intersecting and parallel runways supported by a complex set of controlled and uncontrolled taxiways. The airport identified ten hotspots where risks for incursions are high, which are depicted on airport diagram pages.

Most incursions have occurred during parallel runway operations to 6R/24L and 6L/24R. A review of the CYYZ airport charts revealed numerous notes and cautions. One of the notes highlights that operators be alert for Runway 06L/24R crossing clearances and be prepared to stop short of Runway 06L/24R.

The airport information pages also contain a note, which only applies to aircraft with wingspans 214 feet to 262 feet, that there is “no holding short of Runway 06L/24R after exit from Runway 06R/24L.”

Recommendations: ALPA urges all flight crews operating to CYYZ to carefully review the airport information, remain vigilant at all times, adhere to company policies and procedures when taxiing, and request clarification of ATC instructions prior to crossing a runway during taxi operations.

Any questions, please contact the ALPA Engineering and Air Safety Department at eas@alpa.org or 1-800 424-2470.

Captain Steve Jangelis Aviation Safety Chairman"

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I wonder if AC has advised their pilots about this hazard....

"C-FMWU, a Boeing 767-333ER aircraft operated by Air Canada rouge was conducting flight ROU1836 from Phoenix/Sky Harbor Intl, AZ (KPHX) to Toronto/Lester B. Pearson Intl, ON (CYYZ) with 8 crew members and 288 passengers. After landing on Runway 24L at CYYZ, ROU1836 was instructed by ATC to hold short of Runway 24R, and the instruction was read back by the flight crew. A short period of time afterward, an Airbus 319 aircraft operated by Air Canada rouge flight ROU1876 was cleared for takeoff from Runway 24R. While ROU1876 was one third of the way down the runway into the takeoff roll, ROU1836 crossed the hold short line and was instructed by ATC to stop. ROU1836 stopped short of the runway surface, and ROU1876 crossed the intersection while airborne climbing through 400 feet."

Not sure what the TSB is talking about in the statement of "TSB says this complex has characteristics which are "not found" at other airports, and the probe will look at factor contributing to incursions between the two runways, which are only 1,000ft apart." Is it really so different than so many airports like LAX or SFO? One should mention during the approach briefing to hold short of the parallel and it can quickly be stated after a runway change if that is the case.

I'll make a recommendation that can be worked on immediately, instead of a long investigation...Runway Status Light(RWSL). Already at many American airports and in Paris.

Last edited by pelmet on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
eggy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eggy »

When I brief an approach to 24L I include the planned exit point as well as make a verbal note to the captain that we will plan to hold short of 24R.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

pelmet wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:29 pm I wonder if AC has advised their pilots about this hazard.
If you were to guess what would it be?

As you mention though, if in addition to stop bar lights there were a five foot wide line of bright red lights leading up to the 24R/06L hold Line I’m sure much fewer of these incidents would happen.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:21 am
pelmet wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:29 pm I wonder if AC has advised their pilots about this hazard.
If you were to guess what would it be?

As you mention though, if in addition to stop bar lights there were a five foot wide line of bright red lights leading up to the 24R/06L hold Line I’m sure much fewer of these incidents would happen.
Whatever was done, does not appear to have been 100% effective. Feel free to let us know any details.

RWSL does not have five feet wide line of red lights for Runway Entrance lights(REL). Only a single row.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Nothing is 100% effective, and I was merely commenting on something we both think would help. Actual dimensions are a detail you can quibble about if you wish but I personally find the row of lights on the runway more visually effective than single lights on the taxiway.

goingmach_1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by goingmach_1 »

I've got an idea. Barrier crossing gates like the railways use at road crossing. That will be the first line of defence, then those massive road spikes that you see over in London England pointing right ar your tires. If that fails to stop a speeding incursion, arm the control tower with a .50 calibre gatling gun. Should work. Certainly after a few "interventions" the word will get around. What do you guys think

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

They obviously knew the runway was there and that they had to hold short and they screwed up on where the hold line was. Nonstandard markings there I believe too.

If multiple reasonable and experienced people make the exact same mistake in the exact same place on a recurring basis, what is the real cause? What is the common thread?

Here's a far out idea, mark and light it properly.

Cliff Jumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cliff Jumper »

altiplano wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:04 pm
Here's a far out idea, mark and light it properly.
Is it not?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

No. They use non standard lighting and positioning.

ICAO standard is hold lines 90' from runway edge, I believe the D# taxiways are about 115' from the edge.

The lighting that is there is nonstandard, not embedded, and not directed toward the aircraft joining the on the highspeed, rather it is directed perpendicular to the runway.

With a published design speed of 50 knots and a stop line that is further back from the other parallel that is standard, maybe they should point/add marking lights toward where the airplanes are coming from.

Cliff Jumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cliff Jumper »

altiplano wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:27 pm No. They use non standard lighting and positioning.

The lighting that is there is nonstandard, not embedded, and not directed toward the aircraft joining the on the highspeed, rather it is directed perpendicular to the runway.
Non standard lighting? not embedded? Have you been there, or are you just guessing?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Do you deny what I said?

Why don't you tell me then.

Cliff Jumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cliff Jumper »

altiplano wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:27 pm No. They use non standard lighting and positioning.

ICAO standard is hold lines 90' from runway edge, I believe the D# taxiways are about 115' from the edge.

The lighting that is there is nonstandard, not embedded,
altiplano wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:50 pm Do you deny what I said?

My apologies for being cryptic. I didn't really want to point out every part you got wrong.

Contrary to what you said, there are in fact embedded, standard, stop bars at each high speed exit between the parallels.

And the lines are not 115 feet from the edge as you stated, and the ICAO standard isn't 90 feet from the edge.

But you were correct about that distance being non standard, the Delta hold lines are 115m to 140m from the centerline, whereas the ICAO standard is 90m.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

So slightly off, but generally correct.
Of course metric, I'm not sure why I listed feet - It was just a quick message from memory. "I believe" as I said... just trying to recall details. It isn't my primary function to quote standards.

Bottom line:
Non standard placement
Non standard lighting
Not directed at flight crew
NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

Last edited by altiplano on Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Cliff Jumper wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:39 pm

The lighting that is there is nonstandard, not embedded,
altiplano wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:50 pm Do you deny what I said?

My apologies for being cryptic. I didn't really want to point out every part you got wrong.

Contrary to what you said, there are in fact embedded, standard, stop bars at each high speed exit between the parallels.

And the lines are not 115 feet from the edge as you stated, and the ICAO standard isn't 90 feet from the edge.

But you were correct about that distance being non standard, the Delta hold lines are 115m to 140m from the centerline, whereas the ICAO standard is 90m.
Thanks for giving us accurate info which is important and gives credibility in other posts. Do they have the wig-wags at these locations as well?

Cliff Jumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cliff Jumper »

Yes, there are wig wags, and they are aimed down the highspeed.

All the lighting is completely standard.

The distance is unusual, so is the corner, IMO.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Cliff Jumper wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:00 am Yes, there are wig wags, and they are aimed down the highspeed.

All the lighting is completely standard.

The distance is unusual, so is the corner, IMO.
So are these pilots just not paying attention with excuses being made by others instead of taking blame? Wig-wags are pretty obvious.
I wonder if after landing flows/check are being done prior to crossing the adjacent runway.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”