Drone hits commercial aircraft in Quebec: Garneau

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/drone-hits ... -1.3633035

Misha Gajewski, CTVNews.ca

@mishagajewski

Published Sunday, October 15, 2017 11:46AM EDT

A Skyjet flight heading to Quebec City’s Jean Lesage International Airport was struck by a drone on Oct. 12, said Minister of Transport Marc Garneau.

Emergency measures were immediately put in place and the plane was able to land safely, according to French media reports. No injuries were reported.

“This is the first time a drone has hit a commercial aircraft in Canada and I am extremely relieved that the aircraft only sustained minor damage and was able to land safely,” Garneau said in a statement released on Sunday.

Transport Canada advises that drones should be flown below 90 metres and at least 5.5 kilometres away from any airport, seaplane base or areas where aircraft take-off and land.

Thursday’s collision reportedly happened about three kilometres from the airport at an altitude of 450 metres.

“Transport Canada is monitoring the situation and is in contact with its transportation partners including Skyjet, the Jean Lesage International Airport and NAV CANADA. My department is in contact with the Service de police de la Ville de Québec and we will cooperate with the Transportation Safety Board should they decide to investigate,” Garneau said.

Garneau introduced interim safety measures regarding drone flights earlier this year, which restrict where recreational drones can be flown.

“I would like to remind drone operators that endangering the safety of an aircraft is extremely dangerous and a serious offence,” he said.

Penalties for violating these safety measures include fines of up to $25,000 and possible face jail time.

Anyone who wishes to operate a drone is required to follow the Canadian Aviation Regulations.

There have been 1,596 drone incidents reported in 2017, of which 131 were deemed an “aviation safety concern,” Garneau said in the statement.
---------- ADS -----------

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Drone hits commercial aircraft in Quebec: Garneau

Post by Tail-Chaser »

I hope they find the idiot and charge him fully. I'd be happy with a month in jail and the full $25,000 fine.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

You’d be happy with a month in jail? Weirdo.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

Wonder if he labeled his/her drone with the required name and address as per CARs. I wonder if authorities even know who is responsible. If they did, we would have hears about it in the news articles.

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

Aussiecat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aussiecat »

I am unsure where I got the idea, but I had thought it was no higher than 400' agl and not within 5nm (9km) of an airport etc.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”