26 Oct 2017 - 2 dead after plane crash near Springbank Airport, west of Calgary

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Message
Author
User avatar
rookiepilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: 26 Oct 2017 - 2 dead after plane crash near Springbank Airport, west of Calgary

#51 Post by rookiepilot » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Has any mentioned how unbelievably bad this format is?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------
  

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1750
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Re: 26 Oct 2017 - 2 dead after plane crash near Springbank Airport, west of Calgary

#52 Post by GyvAir » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:04 pm

Is this really the thread you guys want to discuss site changes on?
---------- ADS -----------
  

gwagen
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:30 am

Re: 26 Oct 2017 - 2 dead after plane crash near Springbank Airport, west of Calgary

#53 Post by gwagen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:34 am

Seems like perhaps the instructor failed an engine on takeoff and the student misidentified the dead engine and feathered the wrong one, in the confusion dropped below VMC and that was all she wrote?
---------- ADS -----------
  

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1468
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:51 am
Location: A mile final 24 CYSN

Re: 26 Oct 2017 - 2 dead after plane crash near Springbank Airport, west of Calgary

#54 Post by pdw » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:30 am

The answer to earlier/similar questioning about doing that is "No". Not done.
No need to practise if an examiner isn't going there / doing one of those down too low.
_______________

Another Q:
If one fails just as gear starts going in / selected UP after rotation, what is the added speed interruption (just for that power draw) under the remaining engine's power as the other feathers?
---------- ADS -----------
  

gwagen
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:30 am

Re: 26 Oct 2017 - 2 dead after plane crash near Springbank Airport, west of Calgary

#55 Post by gwagen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:00 pm

pdw wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:30 am
The answer to earlier/similar questioning about doing that is "No". Not done.
No need to practise if an examiner isn't going there / doing one of those down too low.
_______________

Another Q:
If one fails just as gear starts going in / selected UP after rotation, what is the added speed interruption (just for that power draw) under the remaining engine's power as the other feathers?
Just because "its not done" doesn't mean it wasn't.

The Seneca II has an electric hydraulic pump for the landing gear. No appreciable load on the engine/s

It has half decent single engine performance as well.

It is an easy plane to over-boost. My only other thought is if one engine suffered a mechanical failure and in the panic full throttle applied to the functioning engine causing induction system failure or piston damage of some sort taking out the other engine.

-There seems to have been fuel based on the post crash fire.
-They asked for a circuit, not stating a problem or declaring an emergency, (suggesting perhaps a practice manoeuvre)
-The airplane bank over and dove straight in, classic below vmc outcome.

I've flown a Seneca II a number of times and have found it to be a well behaved and decent performing twin. Only downside to it in my mind is the weight of the controls, feels like driving a cement truck without power steering, not a big deal, just not comparable to some of its more refined contemporaries. Though the de icing and counter rotating engines are appreciated.

Finally, condolences to the families.
---------- ADS -----------
  

pelmet
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3142
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Re: 26 Oct 2017 - 2 dead after plane crash near Springbank Airport, west of Calgary

#56 Post by pelmet » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:51 pm

gwagen wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:34 am
Seems like perhaps the instructor failed an engine on takeoff and the student misidentified the dead engine and feathered the wrong one, in the confusion dropped below VMC and that was all she wrote?
Whenever I get training in a light twin, I verbally confirm that the instructor is not going to do something stupid like that. Not worth the risk.
---------- ADS -----------
  

shamrock104
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:16 pm

Re: 26 Oct 2017 - 2 dead after plane crash near Springbank Airport, west of Calgary

#57 Post by shamrock104 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:35 am

Where did the info come about the Instructor failing an engine after takeoff? The call for "immediate right circuit" also a little out of the ordinary so I am guessing whatever went wrong did so before this call was made.
---------- ADS -----------
  

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2836
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: 26 Oct 2017 - 2 dead after plane crash near Springbank Airport, west of Calgary

#58 Post by CpnCrunch » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:28 am

shamrock104 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:35 am
Where did the info come about the Instructor failing an engine after takeoff? The call for "immediate right circuit" also a little out of the ordinary so I am guessing whatever went wrong did so before this call was made.
Completely baseless speculation, I think.
---------- ADS -----------
  

YBW-Kid
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:51 pm

Re: 26 Oct 2017 - 2 dead after plane crash near Springbank Airport, west of Calgary

#59 Post by YBW-Kid » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:53 am

Preliminary TSB reporting they were unable to find any mechanical deficiency with the aircraft.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/s ... -1.4454937
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”