Perimeter off the runway in Thompson

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

up on one
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Perimeter off the runway in Thompson

Post by up on one »

There are a few hydraulic issues that require gear swings to be completed after the snag is rectified to have the book signed off. In a situation like this, I would consider it a lot safer to obtain a ferry permit and fly according to the limitations than attempt to perform gear swings on the beautiful aprons of the north.
---------- ADS -----------

dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

Maynard wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:01 am
Illya Kuryakin wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:10 am Funny things is, this has really very little to do with the question of flight on one engine (and the enevitable "Cat fight" these threads tend to spawn) but more to do with mishandling the aircraft after landing. With the experience level of the captains on carriers like this one, this will become more commonplace. Assymetritic thrust and tiller steering can become a bit squirrely, especially when a wee bit too much reverse enters the equation. Things happen fast.
Was our friend PilotDar at the wheel?
Fly safe.
Illya
The metro doesn't have tiller steering.
Not true although rare it was an option to have a tiller on a metro some aircraft do have it.. either way they have hydraulic operated nose wheel steering by the rudder pedals same concept as having a tiller

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

Mines bigger than yours.... Good ol' avcanada.

Hydraulic issues... I'm thinking would mess with the nose steering. Oil problems would mess with the reverse pitch on landing. Snowing....

Dealt a crap hand I'd say.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

The SA 227AC Metro has hydraulic nose wheel steering to supplement nose wheel caster. There is an item in the Limitations section of the AFM that says do not arm the nose wheel steering if there has been a hydraulic system failure. Perimeter Airlines published an excellent article on negative caster of the nose wheel steering that says basically that if the airplane starts to veer off the straight and narrow, negative caster will have a tendency to increase nose wheel deflection. it is a good guess the pilot received this training. I did and I did not work for Perimeter, they just put this training paper out there. The Metro is one of the most directionally stable airplane I had ever flown but the steering effect on landing is like pushing a rope until nose wheel steering is engaged. Most well trained Metro pilots do not engage nose wheel steering until below 10 knots. If the airplane is kept straight, it will remain straight. Differential power, differential braking is more than adequate to safely land the airplane even in a good crosswind. if that is not enough, then supplement steering with a bit of body English and a health dose of profanity delivered with great passion. It may help. As for OEI, a lightly loaded Metro 111 has an abundance of performance. Metro 11 not so much. Maximum flap extension is 1/4 flap until the flight is committed to a landing. I would personally do a flaps up landing. Thompson runway is long enough that a flapless landing is a "kiss your sister" operation. Add OEI and it increases the pucker factor but careful planning will save the day.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

oldtimer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:43 am Most well trained Metro pilots do not engage nose wheel steering until below 10 knots.
That's quite low. Normal taxi speed is 15 kts. 40 knots is plenty slow. Throw in a crosswind, or an icy, or slushy, or snowy, or water covered runway, and you'd be well into the rhubarb by the time you hit 10 knots without engaging the steering. (Speaking as a well trained Metro pilot)

I guess I should write something here.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Speaking as a well trained Metro pilot (FSI) albeit, not a current one, I always used the tiller (yup, we had them) with great care until the rudder became effective. On landing, run out of rudder effectiveness, then gently on the tiller. Doesn’t tell us why the subject aircraft wandered off the runway though. Once she’s on the ground, barring something untoward, she should stay there.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

As a well trained Metro Pilot, I went through the time frame where the NWS was prohibited from being used. Then for a long time it was only to be armed after the a/c was at taxi speed and disarmed and CONFIRMED OFF before takeoff.

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

So, from one we’ll trained Metro driver to the other two well trained Metro drivers, why did this one not remain within the confines of the runway?
Illya

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

lostaviator wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:54 pm Mines bigger than yours.... Good ol' avcanada.

Hydraulic issues... I'm thinking would mess with the nose steering. Oil problems would mess with the reverse pitch on landing. Snowing....

Dealt a crap hand I'd say.
So, “dealt a crap hand” will be the findings of the investigation then?
Illya

switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

Probably the sick engine was dealt a crap hand during the flare and went into NTSing. Either the crew did or didn't pull the stop and feather control. Either way the forward or reverse thrust may have been quite aggressively asymmetric. Couple that with the NWS off due to the hydraulic issue and the excrement hit the oscillating air movement machine. That's what you will read in the TSB report.

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”