Missing airplane on flight from Penticton to Edmonton

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Missing airplane on flight from Penticton to Edmonton

Post by Diadem »

It would make a lot more sense to head up towards the Yellowhead if they were on their way to Edmonton. I found it strange from the beginning that they would follow the Trans-Canada to Alberta and then make almost a 90 degree turn rather than taking the more direct route, which also has lower terrain.
---------- ADS -----------

Notapilot1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Notapilot1 »

Diadem wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:16 am It would make a lot more sense to head up towards the Yellowhead if they were on their way to Edmonton. I found it strange from the beginning that they would follow the Trans-Canada to Alberta and then make almost a 90 degree turn rather than taking the more direct route, which also has lower terrain.
From what I have heard, following the Trans Canada was a normal route for most pilots?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Notapilot1 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:24 am
Diadem wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:16 am It would make a lot more sense to head up towards the Yellowhead if they were on their way to Edmonton. I found it strange from the beginning that they would follow the Trans-Canada to Alberta and then make almost a 90 degree turn rather than taking the more direct route, which also has lower terrain.
From what I have heard, following the Trans Canada was a normal route for most pilots?
Yes, that's correct, for an east west crossing, although some will take a short cut where the highway does a big half loop (I've done that). Following the TC more or less would be a prudent choice for most pilots.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Notapilot1 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:24 am From what I have heard, following the Trans Canada was a normal route for most pilots?
It would be the normal route on an east-west routing, but from Penticton to Edmonton it would be pretty much a wash whether to take Rogers Pass or head up to the Yellowhead Pass; the Yellowhead is lower and wider, so for someone going to Edmonton it might be a better choice. Perhaps the plan was always to head up Kinbasket Lake towards the Yellowhead, or perhaps upon seeing the weather in Rogers Pass the pilot decided to try that way instead.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:08 pm
Notapilot1 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:24 am
Yes, that's correct, although some will take a short cut where the highway does a big half loop (I've done that). Following the TC more or less would be a prudent choice for most pilots.
No it's not. If you have to follow the TC, it's not the prudent choice, unless the Yellowhead or Valemount Arm route is bad as well. It's may be 10 shorter, so on a CAVU day with light winds, it may be a marginally better choice.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

‘Metal detector you can put into the air’ will be used to search for couple in missing Edmonton-bound plane

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/metal-detec ... -1.3846756

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

There's lots of shrapnel and unexploded shells in the Rogers Pass avalanche chutes that a magnetometer might pick up.

Aircraft are mostly aluminum.

I'd try out the magnetometer at an airport first to determine the detection range. Check with the airport operator first to see if they will allow a drone. Read up on Transport Canada regulations on drone operation.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

About a week ago, I got a message from a user who's been very active in this thread, which is titled "Missing Mooney", and all it says is "It's within a mile of two of Mabel Lake airport." There's no more context to it, and (s)he hasn't responded to my inquiry for more information, so I don't know if this is referring to the aircraft's location. I haven't found any news reports about this, and it almost seems like the message could be from the middle of a private discussion, so maybe it was accidentally sent to me for some reason. Perhaps someone from the Okanagan can suss out whether there's a basis for looking around Mabel Lake.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

Maybe we need to determine what was this pilots normal route? assuming he had made the trip in the past?

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

I 'd urge all those planing back country trips this summer into the Canadian Rockies , Purcell, and st Marys and Valhalla mountain ranges to keep an eye out. there are several families that need and appreciate some closure of lost loved ones. keep in mind that due to this winter high snow packs and possible avalanches along with any glacial movement the aircraft may have moved down slope ,as much several hundred feet.

If you are in a basin or bottom of a cirque look up those side of mountains. not to be cruel,or morbid but bears ,cougars and other critters are emerging to forage the high country, lets find these planes before they do .

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Foxes and wolverines don't hibernate. Emerging bears check out the avalanche chutes. Very few remains of Steve Fossett were found after his wallet turned up on a mountainside a year after he disappeared.

Many other missing aircraft in the BC mountains remain unfound.

That said, the Rogers Pass area has lots of visitation from climbers and hikers. I'd put up notes at the ACC huts and trailheads. July and August are the months when the previous winter's snow cover is largely gone.

DO NOT venture on glaciers and snowfields without training and equipment for glacier travel and crevasse rescue.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

how is the snow out there now? anyone looking? news?

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

anofly wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:14 pm how is the snow out there now? anyone looking? news?
I believe the family are in the Mabel Lake area organizing renewed searching.

Cbw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cbw »

Hacked.

Last edited by Cbw on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Cbw wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:50 pm They are hiding something! NOTHING ADDS UP AT ALL! They have even threatened to harm people if they never stopped trying to help look for plane. I can’t see The military and search and rescue with screwup that bad and search that far from the right area I’m sure technology is more right than an eyewitness
Ah.....what :?: :smt017

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

Cbw wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:50 pm They are hiding something! NOTHING ADDS UP AT ALL! They have even threatened to harm people if they never stopped trying to help look for plane. I can’t see The military and search and rescue with screwup that bad and search that far from the right area I’m sure technology is more right than an eyewitness
Cbw...this is your first post...
Are you okay?
Many of us reading your statement are wondering WTF?!

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

Wacky conspiracy theories are directly proportional to grammatical errors.

- MrWings' law

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

MrWings wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:49 pm Wacky conspiracy theories are directly proportional to grammatical errors.

- MrWings' law
There is one theory which explains the otherwise incomprehensible behaviour represented by the aircraft's known flight path, and possible path afterwards. Besides just an inexperienced pilot making wrong decisions and showing poor airmanship.

A few people know what that is. Certainly Search and Rescue did. It may not be the truth at all, but there is a basis for that speculation. It is definitely not a wacky conspiracy theory.

Unless a quite experienced pilot standing at the button of 34 at Mabel Lake about 20 minutes before dark was hallucinating, that Mooney passed overhead from the west, proceeded a bit towards what would be left crosswind for 16, then durned to a sort of downwind for 16 and disappeared from sight. At approximately the same time, 2 people about 4 clicks west of the airfield heard what they said sounded like an airplane crash.

At the time, the pilot estimated a ceiling of 700 overcast with 1/2 mile vis.

The families of the two missing people have continued enormous ongoing effort to find their loved ones. Hundreds have come to help them. None of them are involved in any alternate theory or universe. They just trying to find an airplane and hopefully some remains to recover. As far as I know they have an abundance of resolve, and next to no knowledge of how to efficiently and effectively search for an airplane.

The alphabet soup guy who started this up may not have all his facts right, but many people in Mabel Lake feel other people are looking to find the airplane before anyone else. I do understand the RCMP have told people who may have seen the aircraft not to talk to anyone and not to look for it. They say it's in Rogers Pass. Which means the Mabel Lake pilot was making things up. I've spoken to him. Very credible guy.

It is possible that the airplane has already been found. I expect it's within five clicks of Mabel Lake airport. I'd expect a morning with a couple of R44s would find it. There's no evidence that anything other than would normally be found at an 8 month old crash that has overwintered. Lots of talk though.

Cliff Jumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cliff Jumper »

cncpc wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:26 pm It is definitely not a wacky conspiracy theory.
cncpc wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:26 pm I do understand the RCMP have told people who may have seen the aircraft not to talk to anyone and not to look for it.
Wow.

Those two statements can't both be true.

Pick one or the other.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

SO, what is this theory then?

No point in beating 'round the bush - out with it.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”