Westwind

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

77W
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Westwind

Post by 77W »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon ... -1.4476479

Not surprising really. Flightaware shows North Caribou and Regional 1 picking up the slack.
---------- ADS -----------

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Working on their corrective action plan.
Any idea what they have to correct?

Rezy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rezy »

Will this be the end of WWA?
I heard they were laying off all their pilots....

GARRETT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GARRETT »

Rezy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:33 pm I heard they were laying off all their pilots....
You heard wrong.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

A class action lawsuit has been filed citing Weight and Balance issues.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

It was only a matter of time.

S.

bigsky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bigsky »

Victory wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:44 pm A class action lawsuit has been filed citing Weight and Balance issues.

Do you have a link to the lawsuit?
This type of event could have huge inurance implications on all operators.

There is no substitute for BIG JUGS!!
GARRETT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GARRETT »

There are many completely unsubstantiated claims as to cause. Not a shred of evidence yet to even make claims. The lawyer launching this class action lawsuit is well known in the legal community, and not in a good way. He stands to make millions off the backs of the plaintiffs if this goes through so I can see why he has no regard for the due process. He cashed in large on the residential school payouts yeas ago. Should be interesting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon ... -1.4500944

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

So what are they going to do? Wait for the TSB report? Based on their pace, the statute of limitations would probably come into play. :roll:

The TSB is very clear they don't assign blame.

You don't get your AOC pulled for chicken shit stuff.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

bobcaygeon wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:26 am You don't get your AOC pulled for chicken shit stuff.
You do if the chicken shit stuff is the only thing they can prove.

Hypothetically speaking: operator flies overweight, tons of ice, snags not being snagged, but nobody wants to testify. TC knows this but is powerless because there is no proof. Then they do audit after audit an notice that (unimportant) signatures are missing on paperwork repeatedly. For example on training files, even though there is nothing really wrong with the training. Then that is what they will fine/prosecute you for, because that is the only tool they have at that point to make the company's life miserable. That could eventually lead to pulling the AOC, or force the operator to hand it in.

All hypothetically and based on rumours, nothing to do with Westwind either, but it is a possibility. Not a wild conspiracy theory.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

I think it’s wise to get the legal process rolling. Regardless of the outcome of the report from tsb, we all know it wall take a long time. The passengers deserve to have representation and a trial or settlement depending on the outcome of the findings. Saying the lawyer is just in it to make coin, well we all go to work to make money. I don’t know who the right lawyer for the job is, but that’s up to those involved to decide.

I could see some sort of settlement happen out of court if (and a big if) they find that their were major infractions by westwind. Not making any accusations of course, just to make this clear.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

The lawyer said on TV that the overweight and positioning of passengers in the cabin claims came from Westwind staff. I'm sure the pilots know to keep their mouths shut after an accident according to the ops manual but the agents on the reserves are going to sing like canaries especially if it was their friends, family, and community members that were hurt in the accident. If there was a company culture of them fudging weight and balance numbers the agents won't keep it a secret. The lawsuit could be won on those testimonies alone.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Victory wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:31 am The lawyer said on TV that the overweight and positioning of passengers in the cabin claims came from Westwind staff. I'm sure the pilots know to keep their mouths shut after an accident according to the ops manual but the agents on the reserves are going to sing like canaries especially if it was their friends, family, and community members that were hurt in the accident. If there was a company culture of them fudging weight and balance numbers the agents won't keep it a secret. The lawsuit could be won on those testimonies alone.
Air Canada will move people if everyone is sitting at the front of a dash-8. Repositioning passengers to get the CofG within limits isn't a problem. TSB should be able to ferret out whether they had a legal W+B.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

CpnCrunch wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:46 pm
Victory wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:31 am The lawyer said on TV that the overweight and positioning of passengers in the cabin claims came from Westwind staff. I'm sure the pilots know to keep their mouths shut after an accident according to the ops manual but the agents on the reserves are going to sing like canaries especially if it was their friends, family, and community members that were hurt in the accident. If there was a company culture of them fudging weight and balance numbers the agents won't keep it a secret. The lawsuit could be won on those testimonies alone.
Air Canada will move people if everyone is sitting at the front of a dash-8. Repositioning passengers to get the CofG within limits isn't a problem. TSB should be able to ferret out whether they had a legal W+B.
AC does that at Mainline too if the load is unexpectedly light or too many people in the back and few if any in business class ie: no shows or misconnects

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
77W
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 77W »

What's going on at Westwind? Are the pilots still sitting around collecting a cheque?

I noticed they posted a job ad for a "Flight Operations SMS Investigator" today. They've got to be getting deep into the red. Loosing the mine charters would no doubt be a big blow to their bottom line.

Not trying to stir the pot, just legitimately curious how an airline can come back from a crash and shutdown.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

77W wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:41 pm I noticed they posted a job ad for a "Flight Operations SMS Investigator" today.
I imagine after going to an accident site and looking to through the pieces you soon realize as the SMS investigator you may not really want this responsibility. Pretty common for people to quit a job after a fatal accident at a company. Westwind for the most part got away with this one, except for the one fella, RIP. This job posting is not that surprising really.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

77W wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:41 pm What's going on at Westwind? Are the pilots still sitting around collecting a cheque?

I noticed they posted a job ad for a "Flight Operations SMS Investigator" today. They've got to be getting deep into the red. Loosing the mine charters would no doubt be a big blow to their bottom line.

Not trying to stir the pot, just legitimately curious how an airline can come back from a crash and shutdown.

Yes, they are. Everyone is pitching in to help get the operation up and running. In this market if you issue layoffs, there won't be any experienced crews to hire back when the operation starts again. I'm sure this is a consideration.

Boney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boney »

Interesting. Better to keep them on the payroll and show that starting up will happen, as the ULCC are beginning to hire.

SerialKiller
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SerialKiller »

Is WestWind up and running yet?

flaps78
Rank 2
Rank 2