Westwind

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

GARRETT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Westwind

Post by GARRETT »

Boeing (and their lawyers) have certified that the 737 NG is permitted to safely take off with frost contaminated wings...after a few conditions are met of course.

*edit:added the FCOM text.
Takeoff with CSFF on upper wing surfaces is allowed provided all of ​the following conditions are met:​•​ The CSFF on the wing tank upper surfaces is only within the ​lines defining the permissible CSFF area with no snow, ice or​ ​frost​ on the leading edges or control surfaces​•​ Ambient air temperature is at or above +4°C, +39°F​•​ There is no precipitation or visible moisture (rain, snow, drizzle,​ ​or fog with less than 1 mile visibility)​•​ Tank fuel temperature is at or above -16°C, +3°F.​If all of the above conditions are not​ met, all snow, ice and frost on the ​upper wing surfaces must be removed using appropriate ​deicing/anti-icing procedures.

This goes goes directly against the "any ice is too much" theory.
Hmmm :smt102

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by GARRETT on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

They've already decided that some aircraft can legally take off with a specified amount of frost on the underside of the wing in the area of the fuel tanks.

Now you want more?

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

GARRETT wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:47 am Boeing (and their lawyers) have certified that the 737 NG is permitted to safely take off with frost contaminated wings...after a few conditions are met of course.

Then that's a known configuration with calculated performance. As I stated previously, the point of de-icing is to get the aircraft to a known configuration, but if manufacturers start publishing data for specific contamination and allow take offs then that would be equivalent.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

GARRETT wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:47 am Boeing (and their lawyers) have certified that the 737 NG is permitted to safely take off with frost contaminated wings...after a few conditions are met of course.

The allowance is for frost caused by cold soaking and is quite restrictive. The OAT must be above 4 degrees, no precipitation etc. The only place I’ve ever used it was in the Caribbean. And as was said before Boeing has obviously done the testing for frost “in the box” in very specific conditions and determined that it is ok. Nobody can reasonably expect manufacturers to make 100’s of charts for all the factors that lead to frost/icing. Think of all the combinations of temp, dew point, fuel tank temp, precipitation, wind, etc.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

So if you want to legally takeoff with frozen contamination on the wings, go out and pay for the certification like Boeing did who will then charge the customer for the approval. Otherwise, it is not certified and not legal. I guess that includes on non-certified aircraft as well.
digits_ wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:42 pm There should be research to show pilots and ground crew how much is too much.
There are too many variables for the regulator to be able to do this. It would be endless so it ain't gonna happen.

Then again, is it illegal to takeoff with non-frozen contamination like the time when I flew an aircraft with a a lot of dead bugs on the leading edge? What if there are dead bugs on the leading edge and the temperature is below freezing so that it is now considered frozen contamination?

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

What if there are dead bugs on the leading edge and the temperature is below freezing so that it is now considered frozen contamination?
One doesn't often see insects flying around in sub-zero temperatures.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

FlyGy wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:50 pm
What if there are dead bugs on the leading edge and the temperature is below freezing so that it is now considered frozen contamination?
One doesn't often see insects flying around in sub-zero temperatures.
True, but some operators don't clean their aircraft for months. Seasons change. Also, planes can travel significan distances, you know, like from the Caribbean to Canada or even just a few hundred miles for a GA aircraft.

Anyways, back to the thread subject.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

pelmet wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:50 am
digits_ wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:42 pm There should be research to show pilots and ground crew how much is too much.
There are too many variables for the regulator to be able to do this. It would be endless so it ain't gonna happen.
I disagree. How does ice affect the airplanes? There is weight, change of shape of the aerofoils and a different texture/friction indexes. Every airplane of the caravan/pc12 generation and newer is exists digitally. Every part is simulated somewhere. Any manufacturer of modern airplanes can tell you exactly how ice would affect the performance.

I am not intimately familiar with certification, but if I remember correctly, at some point you'll have to proof that your data matches reality and a whole bunch of flight tests need to happen. That is not necessary for what I'm asking. I am not asking for certified data to allow pilots to fly with ice on the wings. No, I merely want relatively accurate data to show them what a stupid idea it is to go flying with frost/ice/wet snow/.... on the wings. That can be calculated with the current models that already exist to a great level of accuracy. It will be an eye opener and way more accurate than the one "30% / 40%" number we have now.

What would be easier: forcing 20 manufacturers to simulate data in let's say 20 example scenarios, or get decent deicing equipment installed in every little northern community?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:52 pm I disagree. How does ice affect the airplanes? There is weight, change of shape of the aerofoils and a different texture/friction indexes. Every airplane of the caravan/pc12 generation and newer is exists digitally. Every part is simulated somewhere. Any manufacturer of modern airplanes can tell you exactly how ice would affect the performance.

I am not intimately familiar with certification, but if I remember correctly, at some point you'll have to proof that your data matches reality and a whole bunch of flight tests need to happen. That is not necessary for what I'm asking. I am not asking for certified data to allow pilots to fly with ice on the wings. No, I merely want relatively accurate data to show them what a stupid idea it is to go flying with frost/ice/wet snow/.... on the wings. That can be calculated with the current models that already exist to a great level of accuracy. It will be an eye opener and way more accurate than the one "30% / 40%" number we have now.

What would be easier: forcing 20 manufacturers to simulate data in let's say 20 example scenarios, or get decent deicing equipment installed in every little northern community?
It doesn't matter whether the manufacturers publish data for literally every single condition if the pilots aren't able to measure things like the coefficient of friction and the ice thickness to a fraction of a millimetre. There are too many variables to reasonably be able to calculate performance when you're not in a test setting.
And there would have to be data for every configuration and STC. Modified your aircraft with a larger engine or a prop with an additional blade? The data is invalid because the propwash is different. You would have to calculate data for thousands of different aircraft models and mods, for thousands of different types of contamination, for every conceivable environmental condition, and then provide pilots with the tools to measure all those things. Or, you just say "No contamination".
If you're really convinced that this is a good idea, start a company to certify aircraft to depart with contamination and see how complicated it is. If you're right, you could make millions!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Diadem wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:16 pm
digits_ wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:52 pm I disagree. How does ice affect the airplanes? There is weight, change of shape of the aerofoils and a different texture/friction indexes. Every airplane of the caravan/pc12 generation and newer is exists digitally. Every part is simulated somewhere. Any manufacturer of modern airplanes can tell you exactly how ice would affect the performance.

It doesn't matter whether the manufacturers publish data for literally every single condition if the pilots aren't able to measure things like the coefficient of friction and the ice thickness to a fraction of a millimetre. There are too many variables to reasonably be able to calculate performance when you're not in a test setting.
And there would have to be data for every configuration and STC. Modified your aircraft with a larger engine or a prop with an additional blade? The data is invalid because the propwash is different. You would have to calculate data for thousands of different aircraft models and mods, for thousands of different types of contamination, for every conceivable environmental condition, and then provide pilots with the tools to measure all those things. Or, you just say "No contamination".
If you're really convinced that this is a good idea, start a company to certify aircraft to depart with contamination and see how complicated it is. If you're right, you could make millions!
What thousands of different types of contamination?

Type, let's narrow it down to: Frost, clear ice, rime ice.
Location: full fueslage, leading edge, full wing, full tail, randomly divided 50% coverage of the wing, randmoly divided 20% coverage of the wings, or whatever seems significant from the simulations
Thickness: you'll have to estimate that yes. Would be easy to fix with a marking somewhere on the wing, I'm sure you could find a small bolt or hook popping out of the wing and put a scale on there if you want. Or measure it with a piece of paper, no big deal

Environmental condition: I wasn't even thinking about freezing precip, but it should be easy to add as well. Freezing precip will most likely create a constant weight increase over the whole plane, so that can be added as an extra factor.

It might take a few weeks of running simulations, but in the end you'll have a rough idea of how screwed you would be if you tried to take off.

Not sure if it is frost or clear ice? Doesn't matter, you can read the table "if this was clear ice we have an equivalent of an additional 4000 lbs on board, if it is frost, we have an additional 2000 lbs on board". Either way, you're not allowed to go anyway, but the danger becomes much more tangible.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Except ice will change the physical shape and texture of the airfoil. Every single situation will be different based on speed, AoA, temperature, droplet size, super-cooled, etc. Even freezing rain on a parked plane. How far do the droplets run before freezing? There's absolutely no way to accurately predict the performance of this "mystery" wing that's been modified by ice. I suppose you could put the plane in a wind tunnel and test the modified lift characteristics before every departure, but that seems more expensive than just cleaning it off.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:37 pm What thousands of different types of contamination?

Type, let's narrow it down to: Frost, clear ice, rime ice.
Location: full fueslage, leading edge, full wing, full tail, randomly divided 50% coverage of the wing, randmoly divided 20% coverage of the wings, or whatever seems significant from the simulations
Thickness: you'll have to estimate that yes. Would be easy to fix with a marking somewhere on the wing, I'm sure you could find a small bolt or hook popping out of the wing and put a scale on there if you want. Or measure it with a piece of paper, no big deal

Environmental condition: I wasn't even thinking about freezing precip, but it should be easy to add as well. Freezing precip will most likely create a constant weight increase over the whole plane, so that can be added as an extra factor.

It might take a few weeks of running simulations, but in the end you'll have a rough idea of how screwed you would be if you tried to take off.

Not sure if it is frost or clear ice? Doesn't matter, you can read the table "if this was clear ice we have an equivalent of an additional 4000 lbs on board, if it is frost, we have an additional 2000 lbs on board". Either way, you're not allowed to go anyway, but the danger becomes much more tangible.
You're grossly over-simplifying things. For types of contamination you have: frost, snow on frost, snow pellets on frost, ice pellets on frost, snow, snow on a wet wing, snow pellets on a wet wing, ice pellets on a wet wing, frost with residual impact ice, snow with residual impact ice... Etc... That's before you even begin accounting for thicknesses, and there's certainly no allowance for uneven contamination.
And after all your huff about telling pilots exactly how much is safe, you want them to estimate the thickness? And you're only going to give them a "rough idea"? Well, those pilots who are taking off contaminated now are just going to underestimate the thickness, because they figure it worked before. They're going to look at 1/4 inch of rime ice and figure it's probably closer to 1/8, and really, what difference does it make? The plane has always down before!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:52 pm
pelmet wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:50 am
I disagree. How does ice affect the airplanes? There is weight, change of shape of the aerofoils and a different texture/friction indexes. Every airplane of the caravan/pc12 generation and newer is exists digitally. Every part is simulated somewhere. Any manufacturer of modern airplanes can tell you exactly how ice would affect the performance.

It ain't gonna happen.

Thanks for the outside the box idea.

Back to the thread subject.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Diadem wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:04 pm
You're grossly over-simplifying things. For types of contamination you have: frost, snow on frost, snow pellets on frost, ice pellets on frost, snow, snow on a wet wing, snow pellets on a wet wing, ice pellets on a wet wing, frost with residual impact ice, snow with residual impact ice... Etc... That's before you even begin accounting for thicknesses, and there's certainly no allowance for uneven contamination.
And after all your huff about telling pilots exactly how much is safe, you want them to estimate the thickness? And you're only going to give them a "rough idea"? Well, those pilots who are taking off contaminated now are just going to underestimate the thickness, because they figure it worked before. They're going to look at 1/4 inch of rime ice and figure it's probably closer to 1/8, and really, what difference does it make? The plane has always down before!
It will be a lot more accurate than the 30%/40% number we have now, I can guarantee you that.

I hope that they will see that -for example, as there are no accurate numbers- an increase from 1/8 to 1/4 will mean a weight penalty increase from 500 lbs to 3000 lbs, so they better be damn sure that it is only 1/8 if they want to be stupid enough to take off illegally.

People take off with ice because they think they can get away with it. Convince them that they can't, and they will not attempt a take off with ice on the wings.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:42 pm It will be a lot more accurate than the 30%/40% now, I can guarantee you that.

I hope that they will see that -for example, as there are no accurate numbers- an increase from 1/8 to 1/4 will mean a weight penalty increase from 500 lbs to 3000 lbs, so they better be damn sure that it is only 1/8 if they want to be stupid enough to take off illegally.

People take off with ice because they think they can get away with it. Convince them that they can't, and they will not attempt a take off with ice on the wings.
What does it matter if it's more accurate if it's still just an estimate? There are far too many variables to ever be certain that it's safe unless the manufacturer has dedicated the time and resources to testing. Boeing did it for the Max, for only frost, and that's for a variant of the most common commercial airliner in the world. They probably spent millions of dollars testing a single type of aircraft, and a single type of contamination, and you want to do it with every model of every aircraft in Canada? A lot of those aircraft were made by companies that are out of business, so are taxpayers going to pay for it? You want the government to spend potentially billions of dollars so a few pilots can eyeball the contamination on their aircraft and estimate a weight penalty? Like someone else said, why not calculate by how much each aircraft can exceed MTOW while we're at it?
Honestly, I don't even know what you're advocating anymore. You want to spend huge amounts of money researching exactly how much contamination can be left on a plane and still allow it to fly, but you admit that pilots won't actually be able to measure that contamination in the wild. You've flip-flopped between this being an actual system that will be able to be applied in the real world and stating that you just want to show pilots how dangerous it actually is.
The research exists, and if pilots are ignoring it because the testing wasn't done on the specific aircraft that they fly, then they aren't likely to be swayed by data anyway; they're going to fly regardless. The 30%/40% stat that you're so fixated on isn't the most accurate data out there, it's a generalization, and there are numerous articles with very precise measurements, including one that I already linked. If pilots aren't reading those and taking the info to heart, why do you think they would accept the findings of your system? The whole mentality behind flying contaminated is that the rules are stupid and the pilots know better than the experts.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

You've flip-flopped between this being an actual system that will be able to be applied in the real world and stating that you just want to show pilots how dangerous it actually is.
He has been trying to teach me about the subject so I won't fly with to much wing contamination but alas he is to late because I no longer fly even for pleasure.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Diadem wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:10 pm Like someone else said, why not calculate by how much each aircraft can exceed MTOW while we're at it?
I'm pretty sure manufacturers know exactly what the consequences are of flying weights that are exceeding MTOW. It could be damage in turbulence, damage to the gear, metal fatigue etc. Main reason to not worry too much about this, is that the number of accidents where overweight flying resulted in death or crashed airplanes, is smaller than the number of icing related deaths.
Diadem wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:10 pm Honestly, I don't even know what you're advocating anymore. You want to spend huge amounts of money researching exactly how much contamination can be left on a plane and still allow it to fly, but you admit that pilots won't actually be able to measure that contamination in the wild. You've flip-flopped between this being an actual system that will be able to be applied in the real world and stating that you just want to show pilots how dangerous it actually is.
The calculation/simulation of "XX ice on plane YY results in a performance penalty of ZZ" can be accurately calculated. Planes already need to show that they can fly into known icing if they are to be certified like that. For modern airplanes, that guarantees there are computer models available of icing during flight. Use those models and make an accurate and educated guess on how it will affect take off performance.

The regulator can define XX amount of cases, with predefined parameters as mentioned before. Frost, clear ice, mixed ice, whatever. Those limited amount of cases can be precisely and accurately calculated. Pilots then have information on their specific airplane type (excluding mods) how the plane would be affected in those circumstances. They can pick/average the most accurately described situation and be convinced that the plane can not fly safely.
Diadem wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:10 pm The research exists, and if pilots are ignoring it because the testing wasn't done on the specific aircraft that they fly, then they aren't likely to be swayed by data anyway; they're going to fly regardless. The 30%/40% stat that you're so fixated on isn't the most accurate data out there, it's a generalization, and there are numerous articles with very precise measurements, including one that I already linked. If pilots aren't reading those and taking the info to heart, why do you think they would accept the findings of your system? The whole mentality behind flying contaminated is that the rules are stupid and the pilots know better than the experts.
I could only read the first page of the article that was linked to. It sounded promising, but was specifically dealing with droplets encountered during flight, not with taking off with a contaminated wing on a clear day for example.

Let me ask you this:

Why do pilots not take off in a plane with one wing missing? Why do they not take off (most of us anyway) in a twin engine plane with a failed engine? Because they know and are convinced that the plane wouldn't fly.

Convince them that an iced up plane will not fly, and they will not attempt it. If you have other suggestions on how to accomplish this, by all means, please share. I do not think the current policy/TC video is sufficient.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:19 pm I'm pretty sure manufacturers know exactly what the consequences are of flying weights that are exceeding MTOW. It could be damage in turbulence, damage to the gear, metal fatigue etc. Main reason to not worry too much about this, is that the number of accidents where overweight flying resulted in death or crashed airplanes, is smaller than the number of icing related deaths.
No, it's very much a similar discussion to the one we're having: an airplane won't bend as soon as the MTOW is exceeded by one pound, the maximum weight limit is set at some point that the manufacturer thinks the performance of the aircraft will be adequate, usually factoring in engine-out performance. The performance is highly unlikely to be degraded significantly one pound over, it probably won't happen a hundred pounds over, it might not even happen a thousand pounds over; the point is that you don't know because the manufacturer didn't test it. By your logic, we should have every aircraft tested to find out at exactly what weight and atmospheric conditions the performance will no longer be acceptable, just to show those pilots who are inclined to fly overweight how bad it would be.
digits_ wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:19 pm The calculation/simulation of "XX ice on plane YY results in a performance penalty of ZZ" can be accurately calculated. Planes already need to show that they can fly into known icing if they are to be certified like that. For modern airplanes, that guarantees there are computer models available of icing during flight. Use those models and make an accurate and educated guess on how it will affect take off performance.
For modern airplanes, you might be able to approach the manufacturer and have them provide complex computer models, but do you not realize that those models don't exist for things like Navajos and Otters that have been out of production for thirty or forty years? The Q400s and 737s aren't the ones taking off contaminated, so it doesn't even matter if you can get models for them. You're going to have to get 206s, Conquests, Beech 99s, and all the other outdated pieces of crap from up north that are the ones being flown contaminated, collect every single tiny little piece of data on every version of those aircraft with every engine, every propellor, every STC, in every configuration, for every phase of flight, and then figure out how icing affects them.
Who the hell is going to pay for that?
digits_ wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:19 pm The regulator can define XX amount of cases, with predefined parameters as mentioned before. Frost, clear ice, mixed ice, whatever. Those limited amount of cases can be precisely and accurately calculated. Pilots then have information on their specific airplane type (excluding mods) how the plane would be affected in those circumstances. They can pick/average the most accurately described situation and be convinced that the plane can not fly safely.
I don't think you've read a single thing that's been written here. You can't boil down icing to "frost", "clear ice", "mixed ice", and "whatever". You're oversimplifying things to the point that any models you make will be utterly pointless. You have to have data for every single combination of types of icing, that accumulates both on the ground and in the air, and you have to be able to accurately measure the thickness. Otherwise it's no better than eyeballing the conditions, and that's what people are doing already.
digits_ wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:19 pm I could only read the first page of the article that was linked to. It sounded promising, but was specifically dealing with droplets encountered during flight, not with taking off with a contaminated wing on a clear day for example.
There isn't much data on the effects of ice on top of a wing on take off, because even NASA test pilots don't want to go blasting off with a sheet of ice on the wings. That should tell you something. Anyway, most of the studies I've found discuss in-flight icing, which apparently isn't relevant to you, or are behind a paywall, so here's a publication from TC that has some very detailed information, including wind-tunnel data: http://publications.gc.ca/collections/c ... -2008E.pdf
Residual impact ice is also a concern, and arguably more complex to classify, as you need to measure not only the thickness, but how far back along the wing it spread; if the boots broke some of the ice off, you have to calculate the performance degradation for the remaining amount. How do you do that?
digits_ wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:19 pm Let me ask you this:

Why do pilots not take off in a plane with one wing missing? Why do they not take off (most of us anyway) in a twin engine plane with a failed engine? Because they know and are convinced that the plane wouldn't fly.

Convince them that an iced up plane will not fly, and they will not attempt it. If you have other suggestions on how to accomplish this, by all means, please share. I do not think the current policy/TC video is sufficient.
Your analogy is stupid, because we're talking about incremental deteriorations in performance, not a loss of a component. It's not binary. Like I said, and I'm certain you didn't read, there's no point in presenting data to someone who is convinced the data is stupid and the experts are just living in ivory towers. It doesn't matter if you show them data that is slightly more forgiving than what they're expecting, because they don't care about the numbers; they "know" the aircraft will fly, and they'll keep pushing limits until they don't get away with it anymore.
Anyway, I don't think there's much point in wasting further breath on someone who thinks an aircraft will suffer gear damage or metal fatigue if the fuel gauges are slightly off or one of the people onboard had a big lunch.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Diadem....you are being trolled. Look how much time you spent on the your last post.

Minimize time wasted with obviously ridiculous stuff by simply saying.....

Ain't Gonna Happen.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Diadem....you are being trolled.

And by someone who is not even a pilot or if he/she is he/she should not be.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”