Air Canada conducting Safety Review

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Post Reply
Message
Author
pelmet
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3557
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Air Canada conducting Safety Review

#1 Post by pelmet » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:54 pm

Following two alarming close-calls at San Francisco International Airport last year, Air Canada has agreed to an immediate safety review of its entire operations, including increased pilot training and a closer look at the airline’s arrivals and departures at SFO.

The airline’s agreement — worked out with Transport Canada — comes amid a spike in incidents involving other airlines during takeoffs and landings at SFO. The National Transportation Safety Board is also investigating a December 2016 incident where a passenger jet almost pulled onto a runway in front of a departing jet, as well as a February 2017 incident where a plane aborted a landing when it learned another commercial jet was on the runway.

But the sweeping Air Canada reviews show how serious the two SFO incidents with the airline were, including one which aviation experts have said could have caused one of the deadliest aviation disasters ever.

“Many airlines have gone through this type of scrutiny after a major problem,” said Ross Aimer, a retired United Airlines pilot and CEO of Aero Consulting Experts, who has followed the SFO mishaps.

“These are all good and welcomed measures. However, I don’t see a crucial part, which is a look at pilot fatigue issues in Canada.”
Aimer said he believes fatigue played a role in both Air Canada incidents at SFO.

In July, an Air Canada jet nearly landed on four passenger jets awaiting takeoff after the flight crew mistook a crowded taxiway for its intended runway.
In October, an Air Canada jet ignored repeated orders from the tower to abort its landing because air traffic controllers feared a different plane was still on the runway. The Air Canada plane landed safely, and later explained that it was having problems with its radio.

“Transport Canada continues to work with Air Canada as a result of these incidents,” said Transport Canada spokesperson Marie-Anyk Côté. “To date, the department is satisfied with the review conducted by Air Canada of their Airbus program as well as the corrective action plan they have put in place to address identified issues.”

The measures include:

Conducting an immediate safety review of Air Canada’s operations;

Reducing intervals between pilot training and evaluation from eight to six months for the next three years;

Conducting four inflight surveillance flights into and out of SFO;

Appointing a technical adviser to observe the ongoing SFO investigations;

Enhancing surveillance activities on the airline’s narrow body Airbus fleet and;

Air Canada conducting a complete review of its operations.

Air Canada did not respond to a request for comment. Côté said Air Canada’s operations audit is ongoing.

Federal Aviation Administration spokesperson Ian Gregor said his agency is “satisfied with the actions (Air Canada and Transport Canada) have taken.”


https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/a ... spartandhp

It sounds like an article that would have been published a few months ago but the MSN website said 2 hrs ago. Interesting that the narrowbody Airbus fleet is reported as the main focus.
---------- ADS -----------
  

pelmet
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3557
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Re: Air Canada conducting Safety Review

#2 Post by pelmet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:08 pm

As a follow-up....

FAA Approves Air Canada Safety Review

The FAA says it's satisfied by measures undertaken by Transport Canada and Air Canada to address a couple of serious errors by Air Canada crews at San Francisco International Airport in 2017. In July, an Airbus A320 came close to landing on a taxiway occupied by four widebody airliners waiting to take off and in October another Air Canada A320 crew had their radio on the wrong frequency and didn’t hear repeated orders from the tower to abort their landing. After the close calls, Air Canada and Transport Canada worked out a deal to increase training and surveillance of Airbus operations and do a review of operations at SFO. It’s also doing a general safety and operational review of the whole airline. FAA spokesman Ian Gregor told the Toronto Star the agency “is satisfied with the actions (Transport Canada and Air Canada) have taken.”

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/F ... 195-1.html
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 519
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Intensity in Ten Cities.

Re: Air Canada conducting Safety Review

#3 Post by CL-Skadoo! » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:14 pm

But...is it PELMET approved?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
rookiepilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: Air Canada conducting Safety Review

#4 Post by rookiepilot » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Guess that just wasn't "nothing to see here" , as was the consensus commentary?
---------- ADS -----------
  

C.W.E.
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 662
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Air Canada conducting Safety Review

#5 Post by C.W.E. » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:04 pm

“These are all good and welcomed measures. However, I don’t see a crucial part, which is a look at pilot fatigue issues in Canada.”
Aimer said he believes fatigue played a role in both Air Canada incidents at SFO.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Eric Janson
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 am

Re: Air Canada conducting Safety Review

#6 Post by Eric Janson » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Ideally this should all be done by outside parties - not done internally.

Air Canada reviewing Air Canada is a clear conflict of interest imho.

Nothing mentioned about SOPs - which would seem like another logical thing to look at.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

pelmet
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3557
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Re: Air Canada conducting Safety Review

#7 Post by pelmet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:54 pm

C.W.E. wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:04 pm
“These are all good and welcomed measures. However, I don’t see a crucial part, which is a look at pilot fatigue issues in Canada.”
Aimer said he believes fatigue played a role in both Air Canada incidents at SFO.
Fatigue already discussed....

www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f ... 5#p1007155
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 551
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:33 am
Location: yyz

Re: Air Canada conducting Safety Review

#8 Post by pilotbzh » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:51 am

Fatigue doesn’t exist at Air Canada... :twisted:
---------- ADS -----------
  

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1107
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Air Canada conducting Safety Review

#9 Post by goingnowherefast » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:23 am

Fatigue doesn't exist in any of Canada! 14 hour days back-to-back-to-back, lets go flying! Our politicians are the ones I hold responsible for the current fatigue mess.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
rookiepilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: Air Canada conducting Safety Review

#10 Post by rookiepilot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:36 am

Eric Janson wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:58 pm
Ideally this should all be done by outside parties - not done internally.

Air Canada reviewing Air Canada is a clear conflict of interest imho.

Nothing mentioned about SOPs - which would seem like another logical thing to look at.
Why?

After Halifax, AC was presenting themselves as the safety experts that should work with the government to review issues for ALL airlines. I found that amusing.

Obviously we don't need any agencies, it's all covered. :D
---------- ADS -----------
  

C.W.E.
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 662
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Air Canada conducting Safety Review

#11 Post by C.W.E. » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:51 pm

After Halifax, AC was presenting themselves as the safety experts
And as proof they don't have accidents, they have hard landings.
---------- ADS -----------
  

alkaseltzer
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Air Canada conducting Safety Review

#12 Post by alkaseltzer » Wed May 02, 2018 6:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... F7FR7TjnME

Here's a video that the NTSB just released.
pelmet wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:08 pm
As a follow-up....

FAA Approves Air Canada Safety Review

The FAA says it's satisfied by measures undertaken by Transport Canada and Air Canada to address a couple of serious errors by Air Canada crews at San Francisco International Airport in 2017. In July, an Airbus A320 came close to landing on a taxiway occupied by four widebody airliners waiting to take off and in October another Air Canada A320 crew had their radio on the wrong frequency and didn’t hear repeated orders from the tower to abort their landing. After the close calls, Air Canada and Transport Canada worked out a deal to increase training and surveillance of Airbus operations and do a review of operations at SFO. It’s also doing a general safety and operational review of the whole airline. FAA spokesman Ian Gregor told the Toronto Star the agency “is satisfied with the actions (Transport Canada and Air Canada) have taken.”

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/F ... 195-1.html
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”