Be careful what you touch on very cold walkarounds

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Be careful what you touch on very cold walkarounds

Post by pelmet »

More specifically, when it comes to plastic stuff. I was just reading about some nav light covers that had cracked during the very cold weather this year. Reminds me of an expensive plastic canopy that cracked when some maintenance guys touched it when parked out in the very cold weather. And a pilot who touched a plastic wing fence on a King Air many years ago nearig minus 40. Plastic seems to get really brittle.
---------- ADS -----------

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Be careful what you touch on very cold walkarounds

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Ive been operating cold soaked aircraft off of ramps at 40 below for over a decade. While plastic does get brittle, it still needs to be hit pretty hard to break. Tire tubes and oleo seals are far more apt to give you trouble.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:25 pm Ive been operating cold soaked aircraft off of ramps at 40 below for over a decade. While plastic does get brittle, it still needs to be hit pretty hard to break.
Thanks,

Your statement makes me wonder if some plastics are more likely than others to break/shatter.

Anybody know?

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Quite probable, there are literally infinite different compounds called "plastic" so its logical that their extreme cold properties would vary.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”