Landed Beside Runway

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Landed Beside Runway

Post by pelmet »

It is easier to happen than you think. On the AC SFO thread, I detailed how I lined up once with a "strip' beside the snow covered runway. Visual illusions can be powerful.

"C-FHNC , a Bombardier DHC-8-300 aircraft operated by North Cariboo, was conducting flight NCB3580 from Edmonton Intl., AB (CYEG) to Primrose, AB (CFN6) with 3 crew members and 31 passengers on board. During touch down, NCB3580 inadvertently landed on the west side of Runway 14, just beside the runway. The aircraft came to a stop 500 feet short of the PAPI lights for Runway 32, and the flight crew taxied to the apron. There was no damage to the aircraft, and no
reported injuries to passengers or crew."
---------- ADS -----------

gianthammer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Landed Beside Runway

Post by gianthammer »

Thank goodness, very lucky nice to here it all turned out safe. No harm no fowl

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Seriously. Harrison Ford lands on a Taxi way and this forum blows up how he should loose his Licence and how private pilots have no right to fly. These guys don't even land on a runway our taxi way and we say no harm no fowl.

upnatem
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by upnatem »

godsrcrazy wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:18 am Seriously. Harrison Ford lands on a Taxi way and this forum blows up how he should loose his Licence and how private pilots have no right to fly. These guys don't even land on a runway our taxi way and we say no harm no fowl.
I don't think one guy's comment can be taken as "we say". And anyway, it seems what he was trying to say is that there were no birds involved in the incident.

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aeroncasuperchief »

Yes, could you imagine the uproar if just 1 innocent bird was scrunched while innocently watching the really big plane land ?

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

My comment was meant to be why isn't everyone on this forum not screaming these guys should loss their licence. There was a total uproar about Harrison Ford.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

godsrcrazy wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:29 am My comment was meant to be why isn't everyone on this forum not screaming these guys should loss their licence. There was a total uproar about Harrison Ford.
It’s because nobody here is jealous of a couple Dash 8 pilots.

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

lownslow wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:36 am
godsrcrazy wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:29 am My comment was meant to be why isn't everyone on this forum not screaming these guys should loss their licence. There was a total uproar about Harrison Ford.
It’s because nobody here is jealous of a couple Dash 8 pilots.
Exactly. Doesn't matter if your famous our just a guy with a couple bucks in his jeans and watch the fire works fly about how they have no right flying if they have an incident our accident.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

I'm sure paying passengers would be happy to know that their pilots can't spell and think it's acceptable to make unscheduled, unplanned, accidental off-runway landings, so long as it turns out okay. Roll the dice I guess.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I was hoping that there might be some responses by our experienced pilots on this forum about ideas for preventing this kind of incident or more info on this incident. I remember reading a TSB report of a Dash-8 in Grande Prairie that landed beside the runway in the winter. If I remember correctly, the runway was snow covered and there was a visual illusion caused by the adjacent field having stalks of corn poking through the snow. The way they had been cut by the farmer left the remaining corn stalks appearing as a long, thin rectangular dark patch parallel to the runway.

Any comments on this topic?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

pelmet wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:44 am Any comments on this topic?
You could give the ARCALs a clickety-click on final.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

CADOR seems to have disappeared. Also, I remember the CADOR said "night" but all the flights on that route so far this year seem to be in daytime. I've never landed there, but looking at the satellite pictures it certainly looks like the runway could be confused during daytime...the gravel to the west of the runway actually looks more like a runway. It would be easier at night with the lights on.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

CADORS Number: 2018C1059

Date Entered: 2018-04-12
Narrative:
UPDATE from Airworthiness: A Civil Aviation Safety Inspector (CASI) looked into this occurrence. After the aircraft landed and taxied in, the crew alerted Maintenance Control (MCON) and Transport Canada (TC) of the off the runway landing. The aircraft was inspected as required to apply a Ferry Permit to allow the aircraft to return to a maintenance base. Hard landing inspections and gear swings were carried out, and the aircraft was returned to service.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Time was 0045 Z, which seems to be at least 30 mins before sunset, so not exactly "night-time" like it says in the CADOR.

Anyway, it doesn't look like it's terribly obvious where exactly the runway is from the satellite photo.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I think these type of incidents occur more frequently when there is snow on the ground as happened to a twin turboprop where I used to work. But obviously, it can happen in the summer as well.

C-GGMA, a Cessna C-172 owned by Abbotsford Flying Club, was conducting a pleasure flight
from Abbotsford Int'l (CYXX), BC to Delta Heritage Airpark (CAK3), BC with 1 pilot and 1
passenger on board. The aircraft joined the left hand circuit for CAK3 runway 07 at 600 ft ASL, as
per procedures in the Canada Flight Supplement. The aircraft landed on a dirt field that is parallel
and adjacent to the aerodrome’s turf runway. The aircraft engine was shut down and the aircraft
was towed to the apron. There were no injuries. The aircraft sustained minor damage.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I read about a number of small jets that landed beside the runway during snow events. I seem to remember a yellow MD80 that did a touch and go beside RWY 34 in Calgary. The jet survived but was damaged.
I have arrived in Regina in the early morning just after light snow fell. I broke out of cloud well above minimums with more than adequate visibility but could not find the actual runway surface because the runway was covered for the most part with a skiff of snow and blended in with the surrounding fields. Finally an early morning B727 freighter took off and blew enough snow off the button that I as able to land on the runway. So landing beside the runway can be done. Maybe the airport authorities should do like the City of Calgary does and spread beet juice to help combat slippery conditions and provide contrast with the surrounding airfield.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Thanks,

I do remember a Jetsgo MD-80 which I believe was in very low vis which can be a different set of circumstances as compared to your own example which shows how it can happen even in fairly good visibility.

I have heard of situations on northern gravel strips where the snowblower has spit out gravel beside the runway somehow creating an illusion.

Maybe someone has seen this. Thanks.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

I landed at a northern mine strip in early spring, and almost landed on the edge lights. At this particular strip, there was a ditch on one side that paralleled the runway and doubled as a road. When the road/ditch and runway were both plowed, if you landed in the center of the gravel, you’d be very close to the edge. After that near-miss, we asked them to clear both ditches to help with the sight picture.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I believe that TC landed beside the runway in old crow a number of years back.they had recently graded the runway if i remember

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

I remember a First Air B737 touched down to the left of the rwy in Edmonton in poor weather conditions.
http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-r ... sable=true

Keep the dirty side down.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”