TSB investigating after 2 private jets crash on the ground at Winnipeg airport

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Bushed
Rank 2
Rank 2

TSB investigating after 2 private jets crash on the ground at Winnipeg airport

Post by Bushed »

The Transportation Safety Board is investigating after two planes crashed at Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport Sunday.

In a release the TSB says the crash happened on the ground between two private jets, and a team of two investigators are en route to Winnipeg to gather information and assess what happened.

The TSB says no injuries were reported.

Winnipeg Airports Authority spokesperson Tyler MacAfee says the crash happened around 3:30 p.m. and one of the planes was stationary at the time.

He says crews were able to contain a fuel leak from at least one of the planes caused by the crash.

The TSB is an independent agency that investigates marine, pipeline, railway and aviation transportation occurrences.

More from CBC Manitoba:
FF9DFDFC-DD0E-46A3-86B4-E5A779A69BD6.jpeg
FF9DFDFC-DD0E-46A3-86B4-E5A779A69BD6.jpeg (58.17 KiB) Viewed 8902 times
---------- ADS -----------

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: TSB investigating after 2 private jets crash on the ground at Winnipeg airport

Post by Schooner69A »

I'm gobsmacked...

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: TSB investigating after 2 private jets crash on the ground at Winnipeg airport

Post by pdw »

+1

upnatem
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by upnatem »

Program shit into your radios and screens before you start to move the aircraft!!

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

upnatem wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:45 am Program shit into your radios and screens before you start to move the aircraft!!
Got 'er all figured out already?

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

I heard it was a TC Citation.......

upnatem
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by upnatem »

linecrew wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:04 am
upnatem wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:45 am Program shit into your radios and screens before you start to move the aircraft!!
Yeah, pretty much. Let me know when you find out I'm wrong.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

upnatem wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:09 pm
Sounds like you have the inside scoop...care to share with the rest of us?

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

bobcaygeon wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:09 am I heard it was a TC Citation.......
It appears to have an American registration:

upnatem
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by upnatem »

linecrew wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:41 pm
upnatem wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Sounds like you have the inside scoop...care to share with the rest of us?
Let's see.......clear day, middle of afternoon, taxis directly into (no wingtip brush here) a parked aircraft. How much "inside scoop" do you need to figure out they weren't looking outside.

contactapproved
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by contactapproved »

Didn’t witness it but heard the citation was crossing perpendicular in front of the challenger and clipped the nosegear with its wingtip swinging itself into the right wing of the challenger. Single pilot in the citation maybe that thought they had more room than they did??? Perhaps got waved off a little soon by the marshaller(if they even had one). Haven’t been there recently but it seems like since the ownership change at this FBO the level of service and attention level of the ramp staff have diminished.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

linecrew wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:49 pm
bobcaygeon wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:09 am I heard it was a TC Citation.......
It appears to have an American registration:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N4A ... /CYYC/CYWG

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

upnatem wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:07 pm ...How much "inside scoop" do you need to figure out they weren't looking outside.
Eyewitnesses vice hearsay/speculation. Subsequent posts imply the Citation was single pilot and misjudged wing clearance. Reads a bit different from your accusatory first post on the subject that said "Program shit into your radios and screens before you start to move the aircraft!!", although still a boner move on the pilot's part.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Misjudged wing clearance?! He hit the Challenger ten feet inboard of the wingtip! He put the nose of his own plane almost into the nose of the Challenger!

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

Diadem wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:32 pm Misjudged wing clearance?! He hit the Challenger ten feet inboard of the wingtip! He put the nose of his own plane almost into the nose of the Challenger!
Orrrrr...you could read the thread. Specifically, this post

viewtopic.php?p=1037090#p1037090

Take a look at the nose gear on the Citation.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

That doesn't explain anything. No pilot should be blindly following the directions of a marshaller and hitting another airplane, and I don't know how the wingtip could hit the nose gear during normal taxiing. The pilot is always responsible for where the airplane taxis, and unless both the steering and brakes broke at the same time then the pilot messed up.
This attitude that pilots can do no wrong and are never responsible for incidents is tiresome and needs to stop.

Cliff Jumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cliff Jumper »

You guy already have it all figured out, You've eliminated allllll other possibilities,... well done.

Extra marks for upandatem, he got there first.

The chances of it being something else, like a brake failure, are effectively zero.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Diadem wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:05 pm That doesn't explain anything. No pilot should be blindly following the directions of a marshaller and hitting another airplane, and I don't know how the wingtip could hit the nose gear during normal taxiing. The pilot is always responsible for where the airplane taxis, and unless both the steering and brakes broke at the same time then the pilot messed up.
This attitude that pilots can do no wrong and are never responsible for incidents is tiresome and needs to stop.

Well, yes. And no. On our aircraft we cannot physically see our wingtips so we do have to depend on marshallers, wing walkers, and electronic guidance systems. If they give faulty guidance there are definitely situations where we'll hit things without being able to prevent it. Not sure how you could claim that we "messed up" in such a situation. But it IS fun to make sweeping judgemental statements, isn't it?

I do agree that driving an airplane right into another one you can see, just because an marshaller indicates to do so, is somewhat problematic.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

Cliff Jumper wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:29 pm You guy already have it all figured out, You've eliminated allllll other possibilities,... well done.

Extra marks for upandatem, he got there first.

The chances of it being something else, like a brake failure, are effectively zero.
Actually, I'm entirely in agreement with you. My post was meant to highlight that there are other possibilities out there and no one on these boards knows what happened.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”