Navajo lands on the street in yyc

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Navajo lands on the street in yyc

Post by AvifiskAlly »

PT6onH20 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 5:57 pm Do NOT question CWE.

He has been flying for over 60 years, without an accident on record. He learned how to fly an airbus IN THE FACTORY. He worked for a major movie studio and was paid very well for it. He also holds an autogyro licence AND flew airshows in Europe.

I don't know him, but I know this because he reminds us every other month. We could learn a thing or two. HANG EM ALL, LET TC SORT EM OUT.
And....... what is your point
---------- ADS -----------

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

He has been flying for over 60 years,
To be accurate I will have completed 65 years since my first flying lesson on June 23, less than two months from now. :mrgreen:

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

C.W.E. wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:11 pm
To be accurate I will have completed 65 years since my first flying lesson on June 23, less than two months from now. :mrgreen:

Cool story bro.

Going for the deck at corner
Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

"...have completed 65 years since my first flying lesson..."

Ya old toad. You got me beat by five years! (;>0)

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

never put all of your faith into fuel gauges, which are often referred to as , idiot gauges. :rolleyes:

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

AuxBatOn wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:58 pm
C.W.E. wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:11 pm

Cool story bro.
60 years is nothing. Had a lesson last year from a 93 year old former WWII B-17 pilot in his Ercoupe down in LaPorte, Texas. He was shot down in Italy and spent the last 6 months of the war in a Stalag Luft camp(his second bailout). He wrote a book about it. And he is still actively flying. And this year.....flew with him again in his Legend Cub. Nice airplanes, cool guy, great wife. They hang out at the airport 6 days a week and also sell aircraft parts. He is in good health and has a sharp memory. Only his hearing is going.

Last edited by pelmet on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

PT6onH20 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 5:57 pm Do NOT question CWE.
He learned how to fly an airbus IN THE FACTORY.
I learned how to fly an Airbus in the factory. Does that make me anymore special?

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

In case it wasn't posted earlier....

"C-FCWW, a Piper PA-31-350 aircraft operated by Super T Aviation Academy, was conducting a flight from Medicine Hat, AB (CYXH) to Calgary Intl, AB (CYYC) with 2 pilots and 4 passengers on board. After being cleared for the visual approach to Runway 35L at CYYC, the flight crew observed that the right fuel boost pump light had illuminated. The pilot requested a runway change to 35R and, a few minutes later, both engines (Avco Lycoming (L)TIO-540-J2BD) lost enough power that the pilot was unable to make the runway. A forced landing was conducted onto 36th Street NE, 2.8 nautical miles South of the threshold of Runway 35R. Shortly after touchdown just South of 16th Ave NE (Trans-Canada Highway), the outer right wing struck a pole and severed about 4 feet of wing. The left propeller struck some concrete structures, curling the outer portion of the three propeller blades. When the aircraft came to a complete stop, the first officer assisted the passengers in evacuating the aircraft. There were no injuries to the occupants or persons on the ground. The ELT did not activate."

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Sketchy information to say the least.

Are we to assume that this was fuel starvation or fuel contamination?

Did a good 5000 hours or more in light piston twins, the worst that happened was a throttle cable failure which led to one engine shutdown leading to single engine operations, which is easily manageable and no dramas. Happened once, and that is all.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

confusedalot wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:13 pm Sketchy information to say the least.
Actually, it would be better described as factual information.
confusedalot wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:13 pm Are we to assume that this was fuel starvation or fuel contamination?
Why not wait till the investigators do their work instead of assuming on insufficient facts to make a determination?

Going for the deck at corner
upnatem
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by upnatem »

AuxBatOn wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:15 am
confusedalot wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:13 pm Sketchy information to say the least.
confusedalot wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:13 pm Are we to assume that this was fuel starvation or fuel contamination?
Why not wait till the investigators do their work instead of assuming on insufficient facts to make a determination?
From Merriam's dictionary:

sketchy = wanting in completeness, clearness, or substance

ergo, insufficient facts = sketchy.

You're saying the same thing.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

I've got a few hundred hours on Navajos, but don't remember why a fuel pump (switch I assume) would illuminate? Is it saying "Turn me on"?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

upnatem wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:35 am
AuxBatOn wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:15 am
From Merriam's dictionary:

sketchy = wanting in completeness, clearness, or substance

ergo, insufficient facts = sketchy.

You're saying the same thing.
Thank you. That is all I am trying to convey. Far removed from the piston twin world after many decades, and I have substantial navajo time, but I am still interested in how this sort of thing could happen, especially since this sort of situation never even came close to happening to me. Too curious I suppose.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Yes for sure this was a very interesting accident and maybe eventually the cause will be known.

Flypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flypilot »

Fuel starvation will illuminate the fuel pump inop light. They may have forgotten to switch to inboard tanks for landing or ran out altogether.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

In future I think this incident should be called; "The miracle on 36th street".

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

It may be a bit early to call it a miracle because we don't know why the flight ended up landing on 36th. st. instead of the runway at the airport.

Anyone have any idea why it takes so long for the government to figure out why these accidents happen, or is it really not important for us to know.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

C.W.E. wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:23 pm It may be a bit early to call it a miracle because we don't know why the flight ended up landing on 36th. st. instead of the runway at the airport.

Anyone have any idea why it takes so long for the government to figure out why these accidents happen, or is it really not important for us to know.
I’ll take a stab at that. Maybe it’s because they care about getting it right, and like every other government department there are too few staff for too many tasks.

Just a guess.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Far removed from the piston twin world after many decades, and I have substantial navajo time, but I am still interested in how this sort of thing could happen, especially since this sort of situation never even came close to happening to me. Too curious I suppose.

Here is what we know so far confusedalot.
After being cleared for the visual approach to Runway 35L at CYYC, the flight crew observed that the right fuel boost pump light had illuminated. The pilot requested a runway change to 35R and, a few minutes later, both engines (Avco Lycoming (L)TIO-540-J2BD) lost enough power that the pilot was unable to make the runway. A forced landing was conducted onto 36th Street NE, 2.8 nautical miles South of the threshold of Runway 35R.

It appears the right fuel boost pump illuminated and then both engines lost enough power to cause a " hard landing " on 36th street.

Also we should not be to curious about these things because the authorities will in all good time explain this to us, so lets try and be good little children and not be to inquisitive. :rolleyes:
Mike Adam, an investigator with the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, said it's too early to speculate on a cause for the emergency landing.

"We will be collecting data, we'll conduct witness interviews, we'll examine and photograph the wreckage," he said.

"We'll also examine the maintenance history, meteorological conditions, operation of the equipment, operation policies, and regulation requirements."
It is comforting to know they are going to make sure the weather did not contribute to this accident, hopefully that should not take to long to determine. :prayer:

Last edited by C.W.E. on Sat May 26, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Thanks,

Decades of separation and my little brain being filled up with other details of flying machines that in a perfect world I would rather not have to do, has put me into the brain dump mode for the sole purpose of making room for other airplanes.

So.........with my very limited recollection of the navajo, and I mean very limited, an electric fuel boost pump light means one of two things. The pump is not on, or the pump is not getting any feed. That wold rule out contaminated fuel since the light does not differentiate between any sort of liquid.

As I recall, the engines still run even if the boost pumps are not in the on position. The mechanical engine mounted pump can easily draw liquid from the tanks on their own.

I shall not jump to a very obvious conclusion, let the tsb types sort it out.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”