Don't clap too early after landing

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Don't clap too early after landing

Post by hamstandard »

They did on this Air Astana flight in Khazakstan. Then look at what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye3aCdga4rI
---------- ADS -----------

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Don't clap too early after landing

Post by '97 Tercel »

Good filming - is that Spielberg onboard?

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

People who clap after a landing are mouth-breathers.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Khazakstan? Further background info on the subject...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_lo3yiZd2k

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

FighterPilot wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:25 pm People who clap after a landing are mouth-breathers.
It seems to me that your opinion denigrating people who are pleased with the flight crew's performance and express same through a universally accepted method of showing it says much more about you than them.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

5x5 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:10 am
FighterPilot wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:25 pm People who clap after a landing are mouth-breathers.
It seems to me that your opinion denigrating people who are pleased with the flight crew's performance and express same through a universally accepted method of showing it says much more about you than them.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't clap every time I leave the dentist, or the barista hands me my coffee. I'd be embarrassed if my passengers did it to me. Were they expecting me to crash but I miraculously pulled off the landing and spared their lives?

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

When I clap, it's out of pure sarcasm.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Heliian wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:50 pm When I clap, it's out of pure sarcasm.
Hah, I should do this on pretty much every Q400 landing!

:mrgreen:

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

FighterPilot wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:53 am
5x5 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:10 am
You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't clap every time I leave the dentist, or the barista hands me my coffee. I'd be embarrassed if my passengers did it to me. Were they expecting me to crash but I miraculously pulled off the landing and spared their lives?
Very common in some of these countries, where someone may fly rarely and safety historically isn't as good as ours. I don't do it, but I get it. Whatever.

Yeah, maybe seems a bit over the top, but I see more joy and smiles over there, than here, both in other pax and in the flight attendants. Interesting, isn't it, with all we have ---

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

You guys re so jaded - I just thought it was an expression of "Yay - we're home!" And incidentally, I may not clap for the dentist, but I do thank him. Since you may not get to meet your pilots face to face, perhaps it is a way that some people say thanks.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Not jaded, not even a commercial pilot...but the applause on landing always makes me think, "seriously?!". Just seems a little derp.

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

linecrew wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:15 am not even a commercial pilot...
:prayer:

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

The only time I've ever heard pax clapping is when they arrive at their Latin American all-inclusive vacation destination airport. Never when they return from their trips though.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

My most clapworthy moment was on an AC 757 or 67, can't remember the type, in to YYZ, came within inches of cartwheeling down the runway during a crosswind. The image of the wingtip so close to the ground is still burned into my mind. I yelled "F@ck!", I'm sure some people crapped their pants as they were looking down at the speeding earth below. After we smashed into the runway and full stopped, people were clapping because they weren't dead.

I have applauded 2 perfect landings before. Those are a rare treat.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Loner wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:26 am
linecrew wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:15 am not even a commercial pilot...
:prayer:
..because I made good life choices? LOL!

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

:lol:

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

It’s a way of showing appreciation and a job well done. My god get off your high horses.

By some people’s logic I shouldn't thank the dentist either because all they’re doing is rendering a service in exchange for cash. Your cash is thanks enough.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

FighterPilot wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:53 am
Do you expect professional actors in a theater to forget their lines? If not, why do you clap?
Do you expect professional musicians in an orchestra to forget their lines? If not, why do you clap?
Do you forget god like rock stars to screw up their songs? If not, why do you clap?

That being said, I don't clap after landing either. Except maybe when my FO pulls off his first greaser :wink:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
bodyflyer2
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bodyflyer2 »

Do you expect professional actors in a theater to forget their lines? If not, why do you clap?
Do you expect professional musicians in an orchestra to forget their lines? If not, why do you clap?
Do you forget god like rock stars to screw up their songs? If not, why do you clap?
If the pilots pull off a landing while facing their passengers, sure, I'll clap out of relief.

For better or worse, we have different standards for live performances of artistic works in front of an audience -- even if they have been playing the same thing for 180 nights running to a large crowd.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

I guess we'll have to wait until pilot-less commercial air travel becomes a thing just to see if people are in fact applauding the pilot or simply the fact that they didn't die after hurtling through the sky at hundreds of knots. :lol:

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”