Student Pilot steals 172 and bangs it up pretty well

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Student Pilot steals 172 and bangs it up pretty well

Post by flyinthebug »

https://www.flyingmag.com/student-pilot ... news061918

He needed 5 approaches to get it down, but luckily for him he is alive and well...and on his way to jail I would assume. Lots of damage to the aircraft. Amazing.

He should at very least be banned from holding any aviation licence for 10 years.

Fly safe all.
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Student Pilot steals 172 and bangs it up pretty well

Post by PilotDAR »

Yeah, I'd vote for a ten year license ban too! As well as making restitution for the plane.

I did notice the headline:
Stalls Aren’t a Maneuver, They’re an Emergency
further down the page. I guess things must be changing in aviation, stalls are in the "Normal Procedures" sections of most flight manuals, not the "Emergency Procedures" section.... I think a writer is taking themselves a little too seriously!

If the plane thief had stalled the landing, I doubt that the 172 would have been anywhere nearly as badly damaged.

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Back in the mid 70s a student took a buddy for a flight out of King City in night and showers. They got maybe a mile or two before smacking the ground hard.

Bones
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bones »

Let me get this straight:

Dude steals a plane without a pilot license, and you're suggesting part of the punishment to be prohibiting the guy from obtaining a pilot license legally? :lol:

I love this forum sometimes!

Nothing holds like a good, tight crossthread.
yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

Buddy probably believed he was ready to go solo and the school he came from and this one were just preventing him cause they wanted his money.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Buddy probably believed he was ready to go solo
It looks like he was ready to go solo, he just was not ready to come back solo!

I have a lot of empathy for schools in their decision to declare someone ready for solo, or indeed, flight test. There is just so much to learn and understand that in my opinion even having a PPL is just the beginning. I have flown with new PPLs who I really did not feel should be solo yet, I can't imagine how they passed a flight test. Not to defend a thief at all, but I wonder if new students are presented with the scope and importance of skills development, and how big a task it is. Combine that with an untrustworthy, impatient student, and hiding the keys becomes a good idea!

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”