Plane Crash between North Bay and Sudbury

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

AR705
Rank 1
Rank 1

Plane Crash between North Bay and Sudbury

Post by AR705 »

---------- ADS -----------

AR705
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Plane Crash between North Bay and Sudbury

Post by AR705 »

Still not a lot of details, not the outcome I like to hear though. I know it was windy/gusty at that time as I was in a boat in the area but the weather was clear. From news online:

West Nipissing Police Chief Raymond St. Pierre said a "small floatplane" went down Sunday afternoon in the bush near Deer Lake, a popular cottage lake that also counts year-round residents. St. Pierre said the deceased are a husband and wife from Greater Sudbury but police are not releasing their names at this time. The plane went down in a wooded area just north of Deer Lake and there was some concern at first about fire spreading, as fuel had ignited, but crews were able to "get that under control," said St. Pierre. "So some good work there." West Nipissing Police responded shortly before 1 p.m. along with West Nipissing Fire Service and the OPP after "callers advised police that a plane crashed and dark smoke could be seen" in the Deer Lake area, according to a release. St. Pierre said his hunch is the plane took off from Deer Lake, but couldn't say for sure. "I suspect somewhere near there," said. "That lake is big enough. But I can't really say for certainty." The Transportation Safety Board of Canada has been notified and is actively investigating the incident. The cause of the crash has not been determined at this time.

AR705
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Plane Crash between North Bay and Sudbury

Post by AR705 »

Update with some more information. Citabria on floats. Likely no more news on cause until the TSB report comes out.

http://www.nugget.ca/2018/07/11/plane-m ... y-fire-tsb

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”