Some Pax Injured in Ryanair Decompression

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Some Pax Injured in Ryanair Decompression

Post by cncpc »

Dublin to Croatia flight, safe into Frankfurt.

Good job the crew.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... cy-landing
---------- ADS -----------

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Some Pax Injured in Ryanair Decompression

Post by FlyGy »

10,000 fpm descent seems a bit excessive doesn't it? The article says nothing about an explosive decompression, just depressurisation. The supplementary masks for the pax are good for 15 minutes, wouldn't a 2,000 fpm descent be more reasonable? I know that they need to get to a lower altitude quickly, but is there really that much of a rush?

Please don't flame my ignorance, I'm not trying to back seat pilot, I just can't understand why.

I looked up some other incidents and the typical emergency descent seems to be about 3,000 fpm.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

FlyGy wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:15 pm 10,000 fpm descent seems a bit excessive doesn't it? The article says nothing about an explosive decompression, just depressurisation. The supplementary masks for the pax are good for 15 minutes, wouldn't a 2,000 fpm descent be more reasonable? I know that they need to get to a lower altitude quickly, but is there really that much of a rush?

Please don't flame my ignorance, I'm not trying to back seat pilot, I just can't understand why.

I looked up some other incidents and the typical emergency descent seems to be about 3,000 fpm.
10,000fpm seems like a lot, in Sim I've done emergency descents which at vmo is only 5-6k fpm, although I don't fly 737s.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

Finally tracked it down on flightaware started descent from 370 at 0244, levelled off at 089 at 0254. That's 2,000 fpm. Much more reasonable.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/RYR ... /EIDW/LDZD

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

The first 5 or 6 minutes of the descent look pretty steep though, averaging somewhere in the 4000-4500 fpm range if the Flightaware log is to be trusted. That's enough to make my head hurt, even if I'm ready for it.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”