C-47 Takeoff Groundloop and Crash

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: C-47 Takeoff Groundloop and Crash

Post by Cat Driver »

The pilot (a very highly experienced DC-3 fellow) did lift the tail as the airspeed came alive, by pushing gently with one hand, while he set power with the other - no problem. The tail was nicely up by 40 knots, and the aircraft was lifted off at 82 knots.
Exactly PilotDar.

Thanks for posting that because it is very important to give correct information about how a given airplane flies and the way that pilot in the video explained how to fly the DC3 is not correct...period...unless of course there is a ton of lead way back beyond the back bulkhead in his airplane. :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

C.W.E. wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:34 pm
Interesting how both hands have to be used to push forward and raise the tail.
I have never flown an airplane that required two hands to raise the tail ...ever... especially a DC3.
If you watch the flightchops video with the same person instructing Steve, Steve raises the tail with one hand and the other on the throttles. I don't doubt the tail staying low being the reason for getting airborne early and dropping a wing, just a matter of learning why.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

switchflicker wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:01 am #19 Post by GyvAir » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:55 pm

I've seen two DC3s flown single pilot in Canada. One Canadian registered and one N registered. Both flown by pilots sporting a bit of a renegade cowboy persona about them.

Gyvair,

Could you tell us about the Canadian registered one.

Thanks
Well, it was late 90s if I have my times straight. I won't name names here. I had a look on the registry and the company doesn't appear to have any aircraft active. The plane has since been sold and has been Baslerized at some point. The flight I observed was presumably empty, but I don't know for sure. I had observed the plane sitting for a day or two. I recognized it from previous encounters. A person who I took to be the owner and one other person showed up one morning, poured a a couple pails of oil in the tanks plus assorted other pre-flight tinkerings. The owner of the aircraft/company got in and flew away. The other person then drove away in the vehicle they'd arrived in. As far as I know, the plane was normally operated with two crew. Any other time I'd seen it in action, it had been, at least. Not many DC3 missions that you wouldn't want/need the second pilot just to deal with the cargo anyway, even if you didn't let them touch anything in the cockpit.

The American one I referred to arrived in southern Ontario from Michigan with a skid of cargo in the early 90s. I don't remember the outfit's name at all. The pilot looked like he'd come in straight from Newport Beach. I'd almost bet there was a surfboard onboard, just in case. Flew in and out, single pilot. At the time, I was naive enough not to realize that it was odd until someone pointed it out.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

cncpc wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:34 am
Victory wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:11 am Yes, off the top of my head the DC-3 and Beech 1900.
This guy has some pretty good insight. Not pushing forward. For some reason.

https://www.facebook.com/dan.gryder/vid ... 468679866/
This is exactly how I used to fly the DC-3 - I remember that it took a lot of force to get the tail up. Tail not up by 60knots was an abort.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Is it possible that with the different variations of the DC3 out there that people have different perceptions of its flight characteristics because they are not all alike?

switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

Thanks GyvAir
Seems to me there is/was a mod you could do the DC-3 to allow single pilot operation (probably cargo only) where you had to have the cowl gill
controls moved closer to the left seat. Like PilotDAR says though It wouldn't be much fun with an emergency like pumping the hydraulics. I think some DC-3 operator in Winnipeg a long time ago added electric hyd. pumps to the engine driven ones.
Anybody remember this stuff or am I having another one of those senior moments?

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Is it possible that with the different variations of the DC3 out there that people have different perceptions of its flight characteristics because they are not all alike?

The standard DC3 airframe has several engine installations R1830-92 and R1830-94 so the only difference is better performance.

The R4D-8 ( Super DC3 ) is a completely different airframe and even bigger engines so not only is it a far better performer it has a better payload and it does not handle as nce as a standard DC3.

I have the R4D-8 manuals somewhere if you need numbers.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

So what's the deal......two hands, one hand. Remember the old saying that there are as many ways to land a DC-3 as there are DC-3 captains? Maybe it applies to takeoffs as well.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

So what's the deal......two hands, one hand.
In my personal opinion I like to have as much control of an airplane as I can get so I use two hands to fly them.

One hand on the control wheel and one hand on the throttles , during all take off's and all landing's.

I never ever ran into a situation where could not fly them that way.

I flew the PBY's the same way including the take off's from the water.

The PBY is way, way heavier on all the flying controls than the DC3 and I never ran into a situation in the PBY where I could not fly it that way.

Note:

The above is only my way and it worked quite well for me.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

I think I've flown 5 legs in the jumpseat of a DC3, all in the same one, with mixed crews (of 2!) from a very small pool of pilots. This is about how I remember the flying:

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Yup...

That is the way I was taught and did it.

Got my DC3 type rating at Austin Airways in 1968 and that was the way we were taught.

Last edited by C.W.E. on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

switchflicker wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:01 am #19 Post by GyvAir » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:55 pm

I've seen two DC3s flown single pilot in Canada. One Canadian registered and one N registered. Both flown by pilots sporting a bit of a renegade cowboy persona about them.

Gyvair,

Could you tell us about the Canadian registered one.

Thanks
There was a DC-3 at Prince George back in the early 80's that was being flown single pilot.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Why would you want to fly a DC3 single pilot?

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:37 am Why would you want to fly a DC3 single pilot?
I don't know, .. I just pointed out that there was one there being flown single pilot. Or at least single qualified pilot.

The man was killed in a crash of that aircraft a few years later. Another life was lost as well.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

The company I flew DC-3's for back when the dinosaurs roamed the range had external control locks that defied anyone to attempt takeoff with them installed. The elevators were locked full down, the rudder at full left deflection and the ailerons at full left aileron. Still didn't trust you though, the last three items on the line-up check were: Controls................Free/Full Travel, Friction Lock...............On, Tailwheel Lock............Engaged.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

You forgot the most important check Siddley.

Brain engaged. :mrgreen:

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:15 pm You forgot the most important check Siddley.

Brain engaged. :mrgreen:
Heh heh. :lol:

I once did an IFR renewal all by myself, with just the DOT inspector. At the time I was a co-pilot, but had had my left seat checkout, so just the two of us buggered off and did the ride. Does that qualify as single pilot? :D

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I once did an IFR renewal all by myself, with just the DOT inspector. At the time I was a co-pilot, but had had my left seat checkout, so just the two of us buggered off and did the ride. Does that qualify as single pilot?
Ahhh.. those were the days when the Government inspectors were just ordinary guys who used common sense when doing check rides and were teachers not policy drones.

I once did a check ride with Jim Bell the chief pilot at Austin Airways on the DC3 and just after lift off he failed the right engine with the mixture control...which broke off and he calmly put it in his shirt pocket and watched me do a quick circuit and land.

Of course we had to get towed back to the ramp but he passed me on the check ride and we all went to the Empire Hotel and had a good laugh and some beers. :mrgreen:

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

I seen a DC-3 fly itself in 1936. I tell you it was the damnedest thing.

boeing767300
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by boeing767300 »

Report from one of the passengers on Bluebonnet Belle,

New status in life - airplane crash survivor. Not one you want. Tina and I were on the flight when the C-47 Bluebonnet Belle crashed on takeoff Sat, 7/21 at Burnet, Tx. There were 13 of us on board, including the crew, and we all made it out. Several suffered burns and 3 of those were admitted to burn units and 3 others, including Tina, were treated and released. As of this evening, only 1 is still under burn care and he will completely recover after a few more weeks of burn care. Tina has blisters that are requiring wound care, but she is in no pain aside from a bruised rib. Most of the burn victims were burned exiting the airplane. Fuel had spilled all over the ground and had splashed over the top of the plane. The 1st two to open the aft door were burned the worst. Some had to jump through the fire to get out. You can find videos and pictures of the crash and the aftermath all over the internet - search for C-47 crash. As Operations Officer for the Highland Lakes squadron, this flight was operated under my authority, which means I have spent the last 3 days helping gather facts and documents to share with the NTSB, the FAA and CAF. It's encouraging to see these professionals working on this and we are especially grateful for the support and assistance from Jim Lasche and Buddy Cooksey from CAF HQ! Most of us lost our cell phones, computers, tablets, clothes, etc, in the fire, so it has been hard to stay in contact. Plane crashes, esp those caught on video - seem to draw incredible speculation and this one is no exception. The experts, the NTSB will take months or even years analyzing the facts of this accident to determine what happened, but many people seem to think they can watch a grainy video and know all sorts of things. As a semi-insider in this thing, there are some things I can say with certainty. The engines were operating just fine - very smooth, appearing to make good power. The CG was near the center of the envelope. The gross weight at takeoff was slightly under our self-imposed limit of 25,200 lbs, which is more than 1000 lbs less than the normal max gross weight for this model of C-47. The gust locks had been removed and the controls were operating freely. The tailwheel was properly locked at the start of the takeoff run. So all you speculators.....just STFU! The outpouring of sympathy and remorse from all of our friends and family, the CAF community, the larger Warbird community, Daks over Normany, D-Day Squadron has been heartening and very appreciated. Highland Lakes Squadron has been caring for Bluebonnet Belle since 2001 and we are all heart-broken at her loss. But we are blessed to be alive and have only recoverable injuries. Our Bluebonnet Airshow is still on for Sept 8th and it will be a great show! Thanks to everyone for the concern, wishes and prayers! We are fine!”

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”