K country crash

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Post Reply
Message
Author
Turbolag
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:04 pm

K country crash

#1 Post by Turbolag » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:44 pm

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.4770520

Any ideas of the aircraft type or owner. “Twin” was mentioned
---------- ADS -----------
  

FlySigi
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:01 pm

Re: K country crash

#2 Post by FlySigi » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:41 pm

I hope it wasn't those guys. I talked to them here in Penticton last Saturday after they parked the Navajo for the night 🙁

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFNCI
---------- ADS -----------
  

anofly
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:46 am

Re: K country crash

#3 Post by anofly » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:58 pm

navajo's are front and center in the advertising for the company, that does not mean at all that it has to be a navajo... but they seem to advertise having 2 of them and have no other aircraft in the promotional stuff...
---------- ADS -----------
  

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: K country crash

#4 Post by Roadrunnersmother » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:00 pm

FlySigi wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:41 pm
I hope it wasn't those guys. I talked to them here in Penticton last Saturday after they parked the Navajo for the night 🙁

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFNCI
Yes sources are saying it was.
---------- ADS -----------
  

anofly
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:46 am

Re: K country crash

#5 Post by anofly » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:29 pm

looks like a possible survey run, then a run to calgary? flightaware....
respectfully, and condolences...
fly safe folks...
---------- ADS -----------
  

FlySigi
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:01 pm

Re: K country crash

#6 Post by FlySigi » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:38 pm

Roadrunnersmother wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:00 pm
FlySigi wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:41 pm
I hope it wasn't those guys. I talked to them here in Penticton last Saturday after they parked the Navajo for the night 🙁

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFNCI
Yes sources are saying it was.
That sucks. They did surveys out of Penticton, went back to Calgary today and supposed to come back to Penticton in a few days to continue with the surveys ☹️
---------- ADS -----------
  

YYC650
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: K country crash

#7 Post by YYC650 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:06 pm

The last return on Flightradar24 shows 13,100 ft, vertical speed -8,500 ft/min.

My condolences to the friends and families.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 768
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: A sigma left of the top of the bell curve

Re: K country crash

#8 Post by Diadem » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:46 pm

YYC650 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:06 pm
The last return on Flightradar24 shows 13,100 ft, vertical speed -8,500 ft/min.
And ground speed 16 knots. There were a lot of speed and altitude fluctuations over the last five or so minutes. There were also a lot of nasty storms building over the Rockies at that time.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 6:16 pm

Re: K country crash

#9 Post by Posthumane » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:36 am

I knew the pilot of this aircraft. He was just at the beginning of his career, and will be missed by many. RIP
---------- ADS -----------
  
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1283
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:17 am

Re: K country crash

#10 Post by cncpc » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:12 am

Posthumane wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:36 am
I knew the pilot of this aircraft. He was just at the beginning of his career, and will be missed by many. RIP
Now is not the time, but a discussion on the risks of being in the back seat of a survey aircraft needs to be had.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2865
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: K country crash

#11 Post by CpnCrunch » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:35 am

Diadem wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:46 pm
There were also a lot of nasty storms building over the Rockies at that time.
Not where they were:

Image

Only one small storm 20nm away. Certainly there was convective activity, but enough to bring down a Navajo when there was nothing at all on the weather radar?
---------- ADS -----------
  

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1283
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:17 am

Re: K country crash

#12 Post by cncpc » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:09 pm

CpnCrunch wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:35 am
Diadem wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:46 pm
There were also a lot of nasty storms building over the Rockies at that time.
Not where they were:

Image

Only one small storm 20nm away. Certainly there was convective activity, but enough to bring down a Navajo when there was nothing at all on the weather radar?
What were the winds aloft, Cpn?

Maybe some standing wave.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2865
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: K country crash

#13 Post by CpnCrunch » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:33 pm

cncpc wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:09 pm

What were the winds aloft, Cpn?

Maybe some standing wave.
I don't know what the winds were, and it's certainly a possibility that there was some kind of mountain wave. The GFA is showing some upper level troughs moving through. I was just pointing out that they didn't plough through a thunderstorm.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 768
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: A sigma left of the top of the bell curve

Re: K country crash

#14 Post by Diadem » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Disregard.
---------- ADS -----------
  

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1283
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:17 am

Re: K country crash

#15 Post by cncpc » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:03 pm

Posthumane wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:36 am
I knew the pilot of this aircraft. He was just at the beginning of his career, and will be missed by many. RIP
What was his experience level?
---------- ADS -----------
  
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 6:16 pm

Re: K country crash

#16 Post by Posthumane » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:53 pm

cncpc wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:03 pm
Posthumane wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:36 am
I knew the pilot of this aircraft. He was just at the beginning of his career, and will be missed by many. RIP
What was his experience level?
My apologies, I made a mistake. My pilot friend was killed in a plane crash in BC the same day. I heard about this plane going down and shortly after heard about his death, but it was a different flight in which he was a passenger. Still a tragedy, but please disregard my reference to the pilot of this particular flight.
---------- ADS -----------
  
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw

pelmet
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3465
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Re: K country crash

#17 Post by pelmet » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:25 pm

C-FNCI, a Piper PA-31 Navajo aircraft operated by Aries Aviation Services, was conducting an IFR flight from Penticton, BC to Calgary/Springbank, AB (CYBW) with one pilot and one survey technician on board. At 1935 MDT while descending through 14 000 feet ASL, approximately 37 nm Southwest of CYBW, the pilot indicated that there was a problem. There were no further transmissions received. The aircraft impacted terrain in the approximate area of Rae’s Glacier in Kananaskis Country. Both occupants were fatally injured.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”