Not exactly a confidence builder

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Not exactly a confidence builder

Post by pelmet »

There is a reason for every flameout. One would think that maybe an FCU would be replaced or something like that as a precaution. Many years ago, we had an engine flameout exactly upon touchdown. It was a big mystery and the engine started up and ran just fine when we tried it after the offload. Never did find out what the problem was but it is never much of a confidence builder when No Faults Found is the remedy.....

"C-FNAJ, an Embraer ERJ190 aircraft operated by Air Canada, was conducting flight ACA651 from Halifax/Stanfield Intl, NS (CYHZ) to St John's Intl, NL (CYYT) with 97 passengers and 4 crew members on board. After the landing on Runway 29, the number 1 engine flamed out as the aircraft was back tracking on the runway. ARFF was called by ATC, however the flight crew did not require assistance. The flight crew continued taxing to the gate on engine number 2. The operator’s maintenance could not determine any faults and the engine, when run, operated normally. In the absence of any faults, the aircraft was released back to service."
---------- ADS -----------

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Not exactly a confidence builder

Post by HiFlyChick »

Last edited by HiFlyChick on Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Backtracking the runway. Tailwind through an idling engine perhaps?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I can just imagine the FO's face...

Finally getting out of 703 ops and bullshit, you make it to Air Canada. Sitting in your glorious jet with a grin on your face. Your butt still a little bit sore from the AC medical. Top notch 705 maintenance. No cutting corners. You take the logbook, you look at the snag and rectification.

"- Engine flame out" you read with a hint of surprise in your voice.

"No fault found. Ground tested found serviceable." Your body starts shaking, your voice is trembling. Is this all a dream? Are you still flying a clapped out navajo in the middle of the night and hallucinating because you are deadly tired, or suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning on that 180 on floats with the leaky exhaust?

You feel something around your neck. A tie. There is a cool breeze in the cockpit. Air conditioning. And maple leafs. Maple leafs everywhere. So it is true, you did make it to Air Canada.

Disappointed, you put the logbook away. Wondering if you'll ever reach your destination. If you'll ever find a decent company to fly for.

But hey, at least he's making good money right?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

digits_ wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:37 pm I can just imagine the FO's face...

Finally getting out of 703 ops and bullshit, you make it to Air Canada. Sitting in your glorious jet with a grin on your face. Your butt still a little bit sore from the AC medical. Top notch 705 maintenance. No cutting corners. You take the logbook, you look at the snag and rectification.

"No fault found. Ground tested found serviceable." Your body starts shaking, your voice is trembling. Is this all a dream? Are you still flying a clapped out navajo in the middle of the night and hallucinating because you are deadly tired, or suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning on that 180 on floats with the leaky exhaust?

You feel something around your neck. A tie. There is a cool breeze in the cockpit. Air conditioning. And maple leafs. Maple leafs everywhere. So it is true, you did make it to Air Canada.

Disappointed, you put the logbook away. Wondering if you'll ever reach your destination. If you'll ever find a decent company to fly for.

This was an awesome write up. Please make more .

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

flyingjerry wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:00 pm

This was an awesome write up. Please make more .
I second the motion/thought...you sure have a way with (written) words!

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Me too.

You've just landed at the end of your day. You dutifully retract the flaps and begin the after landing checklist as the captain turns the aircraft downwind and proceeds to backtrack to the taxiway. "All is well", you say in your inside voice as your heartbeat subsides.

Suddenly, an artificial-sounding "DING" fills the sterile air of the cockpit! Two scary lights fill the flight deck, one red, one yellow, with a baleful glow.

Your heart racing once again, you wait for instructions from the Left Seat.

Finally, as though from the heights of Mount Gerizim, the Captain's voice:

"Declare an emergency. Alert airport fire and emergency services".

Over the P.A: "THIS IS THE CAPTAIN. REMAIN SEATED. REMAIN SEATED"

The Captain's portentious words fill your heart with dread as you gird your loins for the inevitable cataclysm. In all your 400 hours, you've never felt so vulnerable, yet so alive!!!

As the stricken aircraft approaches the gate, all your years of training and experience come to this one pivotal moment: Will we make it out alive? Will I be able to complete the shutdown checklist without wetting my pants? Will the Captain need help filling out the snag in the journey log? CAN I USE EXPLETIVES IN THE SMS REPORT?

Later, at the pub, you and the captain recount your harrowing tale. A Twin Otter crew from a couple of tables over orders you both a shooter of warm milk. You appreciate this gesture of solidarity from brother aviators, but it does little to assuage your misgivings for the days to come.

Hey, in another time and place, I'm sure you douchebags would all be heroes.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”