Biplane accident at YXX (after the airshow) Aug 11, 2018

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Biplane accident at YXX (after the airshow) Aug 11, 2018

Post by JBI »

https://globalnews.ca/news/4383253/abbo ... how-crash/

Looks like it was the de Havilland Dragon Rapide that was on static display and that they were offering flights on. https://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/ticke ... y-flights/

Article Below:
Five people have been taken to hospital after a vintage plane crashed following the Abbotsford International Airshow.

Abbotsford Police now say that one person is in critical condition, one has suffered serious injuries and the other three suffered non-life threatening injuries.

A museum taking part in the Airshow had been offering member flights aboard a 1930s era biplane, but after experiencing difficulties, it went down around 5:30 p.m.

The Airshow first confirmed that an “incident” had taken place after the conclusion of the day’s scheduled events, and said first responders were on scene.

A witness told Global News the plane went down right after takeoff.

“It just took off, he just got airborne and then he caught a gust of wind, because it’s gusting form that direction, and he caught his wing and it just spun him into the ground,” said Neil Aldred, who was at the airfield.

Aldred said there was no fire, and that first responders arrived quickly at the scene.

According to the airshow, multiple emergency resources were already on hand on the airfield and were able to respond immediately.

The BC Ambulance Service says it transported two people to hospital by air ambulance, and three others by ground ambulance.

Abbotsford Police has confirmed that the Transportation Safety Board will be conducting an investigation into the crash.

The Airport will remain closed until 9 p.m., and the Abbotsford Airshow will continue as scheduled on Sunday.

More to come….
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Biplane accident at YXX (after the airshow) Aug 11, 2018

Post by pelmet »

JBI wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:27 pm https://globalnews.ca/news/4383253/abbo ... how-crash/

Looks like it was the de Havilland Dragon Rapide that was on static display and that they were offering flights on. https://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/ticke ... y-flights/

Article Below:
Five people have been taken to hospital after a vintage plane crashed following the Abbotsford International Airshow.

Abbotsford Police now say that one person is in critical condition, one has suffered serious injuries and the other three suffered non-life threatening injuries.

A museum taking part in the Airshow had been offering member flights aboard a 1930s era biplane, but after experiencing difficulties, it went down around 5:30 p.m.

The Airshow first confirmed that an “incident” had taken place after the conclusion of the day’s scheduled events, and said first responders were on scene.

“It just took off, he just got airborne and then he caught a gust of wind, because it’s gusting form that direction, and he caught his wing and it just spun him into the ground,” said Neil Aldred, who was at the airfield.

Aldred said there was no fire, and that first responders arrived quickly at the scene.

According to the airshow, multiple emergency resources were already on hand on the airfield and were able to respond immediately.

The BC Ambulance Service says it transported two people to hospital by air ambulance, and three others by ground ambulance.

Abbotsford Police has confirmed that the Transportation Safety Board will be conducting an investigation into the crash.

The Airport will remain closed until 9 p.m., and the Abbotsford Airshow will continue as scheduled on Sunday.

More to come….
I suspect that it belongs to a museum in Seattle owned by a collecter named John Sessions. When I visited last year, they said that one had been purchased and was undergoing some maintenance in B.C. and would be arriving soon. Hate to see it end up like this.

Was in Abbotsford just the other day and it was hot but I think it has cooled down for the airshow. Not sure how good its performance is on a warm day when heavy but I don't believe the engines have feathering capability if one fails. Gipsy Queens?

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

...but I don't believe the engines have feathering capability if one fails. Gipsy Queens?
Correct on both counts.

The maintenance done in BC last winter was having the wings recovered.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

pelmet wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:37 pm
JBI wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:27 pm https://globalnews.ca/news/4383253/abbo ... how-crash/

Article Below:

More to come….
I suspect that it belongs to a museum in Seattle owned by a collecter named John Sessions. When I visited last year, they said that one had been purchased and was undergoing some maintenance in B.C. and would be arriving soon. Hate to see it end up like this.

Was in Abbotsford just the other day and it was hot but I think it has cooled down for the airshow. Not sure how good its performance is on a warm day when heavy but I don't believe the engines have feathering capability if one fails. Gipsy Queens?
Just discovered that it was John Sessions flying the aircraft. Unfortunately lost part of his leg.

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

Some information from the Historic Flight Foundation Facebook page:

Quote:
This post is overdue.

As many followers of HFF know, I was the pilot of a beautifully restored DH 89 Dragon Rapide that crashed shortly after takeoff last Saturday at Abbotsford. The best news is the passengers are home and will be whole again. I was critically injured and required two surgeries, but less than four days later, the doctors at Royal Columbian (BC's trauma hospital) sent me home. From my present perch, I have resumed general ruckus-making via e-mail.

Regarding flying commitments and events for the remainder of the season, HFF will finish strong where it can and modify or substitute where necessary. The web site and Facebook will be the best sources of information. Looking longer term, we will spend the fall and winter presenting some of the best aviation programs available, constructing a second facility at Spokane's Felts Field, and preparing to pathfind in 2019, the 75th anniversary of D-Day and the 70th anniversary of the Berlin Airlift.

I will focus on healing and a love/hate relationship with a physical therapist. The rules allow me to fly again after I demonstrate pilot skills with a prosthetic lower left leg. Pistorius gave blade runners a bad name. I'm motivated to turn that around.

When you need a good read, pick up one of the biographies of WWII RAF ace Douglas Bader.

Thank you for many expressions of concern. HFF attracts a lovely group. I will see some of you this Saturday at Challenge Air.

John

This post from Mr. Sessions is a small insight to his passion and a testament to his character.
Here's to wishing a speedy recovery and return to flight.
Thank you for your candor.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Further information here from a newspaper article.....

"On Aug. 11 2018, Sessions was giving pleasure flights aboard a de Havilland Dragon Rapide in British Columbia. The weather was changing, and a crosswind had picked up. Upon takeoff, the right wing touched the ground and the plane chewed into the tarmac."

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/ ... ng-flying/

The accident report is here. Gusty crosswind up to 18 knots on the ATIS so the windspeed could easily pick up to a higher value.

http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-r ... P0115.html

Here is a bit of pilot reporting info on the aircraft handling in windy conditions...

"The aircraft is very sensitive to gusts and has to be handled carefully near the ground, particularly at slow speeds, as it will readily drop a wing at the stall, especially if asymmetric rudder or power are applied."

"The wind is obviously causing some turbulence near the ground, as at about 300 feet, the right wing suddenly drops about thirty degrees, prompting a rapid application of full opposite aileron and some rudder to pick up the starboard wing. She struggles back to an even keel...."

https://haa-uk.aero/document/flying-the ... y-years-on

Sometimes it is just best to wait for a better day, especially on some of these older aircraft where conservative operation is a good idea.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”