3 dead, 2 uninjured in NWT

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

3 dead, 2 uninjured in NWT

Post by FlyGy »

---------- ADS -----------

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 3 dead, 2 uninjured in NWT

Post by Anticyclone »

My deepest condoleances to the families' victimes, i wish them strength thru this painful experience.

squash junky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by squash junky »

Sad to read. Simpson Air was my main bush flying experience more than 30 yrs ago

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

Terrible two days for Fort Simpson based aviation first with the CBD6 crash and a day later, this.
I've long maintained that the 206 is a terribly unsafe design for a float plane. If beaver doors have been redesigned for better egress, this aircraft should not even be allowed in commercial float ops, in my opinion.
My sincere condolences and thoughts go to everyone affected by this very sad and tragic event.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

From CBC news online:

"The group's plane took off from Fort Simpson and had been out on their adventure for four to five hours before the plane went down, he said. "

I'm not very familiar with the C206, would that be near the limits for range if it didn't stop for fuel?

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Odds are the aircraft had been to Virginia Falls and stopped for some time before returning to Little Doctor lake where the accident occurred. This is a very common tour out of Fort Simpson - takes about 5.5 hours but the flight time is only around 3.5.

Not sure if it was the accident aircraft, but the 206 pictured also has tip tanks, which gives it the potential for ~7 hours of fuel on board.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Nahanni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Nahanni »

The reality of this type of flying is so much easier to accept when an incident is not so present. My deepest condolences and heart aching sympathies to the Pilot, her Colleagues, Ted, the community and the Families affected. Time will help to heal these wounds, it has before and it will again. Be patient and God bless.

It could have been me, it could have been you, it's a sad reality it had to be anyone.

David

NorthernNews
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NorthernNews »

Slats wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:16 pm Terrible two days for Fort Simpson based aviation first with the CBD6 crash and a day later, this.
I've long maintained that the 206 is a terribly unsafe design for a float plane. If beaver doors have been redesigned for better egress, this aircraft should not even be allowed in commercial float ops, in my opinion.
My sincere condolences and thoughts go to everyone affected by this very sad and tragic event.
Good day. My name is Brendan Burke and I'm a reporter with News/North based in Yellowknife, NWT. With this forum being a wealth of a knowledge for all things aircraft related, I'm reaching out to you and other experienced posters in an effort to clarify/understand some things related to Thursday's fatal Cessna 206 airplane crash near Nahanni National Park Reserve. First and foremost, I'd like to extend my deepest sympathies to the victims and their families.

As you can imagine with the investigation being in its infancy, little information is coming out by way of NWT RCMP and the Transportation Board of Canada. That said, I've learned this morning that the plane crashed during a route landing at Little Doctor Lake (a theory made by a poster above that can now be confirmed).

Here's an excerpt from this morning's update:

"The Cessna 206 airplane involved in Thursday’s fatal accident that claimed the lives of three tourists was landing when it crashed near Nahanni National Park Reserve, says Ted Grant, owner of the flightseeing aircraft company Simpson Air.
Five people were on board the plane when it went down at Little Doctor Lake just after 6:30 p.m. Three tourists – two people from Saskatchewan and another from Alberta – were killed in the crash. A female pilot and a female passenger survived. The two women were uninjured in the crash.
“(The passengers were on) a day tour of the Nahanni National Park. They’d already been to Virginia Falls and spent a couple hours touring at the falls and then they were on their way back here to (Fort) Simpson,” Grant told News/North Monday.
“Normally we do a stop there at Little Doctor Lake for 20 minutes or half an hour and that’s where the airplane was landing when the incident happened,” he said.

When you hear that two people, a pilot and a passenger, left the crash unharmed while three others perished, what immediately comes to mind as how that could have happened? The plane is clearly a tiny aircraft, and I've been told the deaths could have arisen from where the passengers were positioned inside the plane.

In short, to fill in blanks for our readers and paint a picture as to what could have occurred, what do you think likely happened to the the plane and its passengers when it crashed on landing? Could the aircraft have been inverted on impact, etc.? Any fact and experience-based responses/theories/scenarios would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot thank you enough and look forward to hopefully speaking with you further.

Regards,

Brendan

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

How about waiting for the facts to be released from reputable sources like the RCMP, TSB, TC, etc.

Gotta say, it's pretty sickening that reporters are now going to start hanging out around forums looking for juicy tidbits...

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

NorthernNews wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:13 pm Good day. My name is Brendan Burke and I'm a reporter with News/North based in Yellowknife, NWT.

Brendan
Go away. And don't come back please. It's enough we have to deal with Roadrunnersmother; now you people?

laminar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by laminar »

7ECA wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:52 pm How about waiting for the facts to be released from reputable sources like the RCMP, TSB, TC, etc.

Gotta say, it's pretty sickening that reporters are now going to start hanging out around forums looking for juicy tidbits...
Truly disgusting. Now that there’s mention of a design flaw with a door I bet this reporter is looking to run a W5 type expose to get his big break and pull him away from reporting on Sammy the Squirrel swimming with miniature water wings

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

laminar wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:09 pm
7ECA wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:52 pm How about waiting for the facts to be released from reputable sources like the RCMP, TSB, TC, etc.

Truly disgusting. Now that there’s mention of a design flaw with a door I bet this reporter is looking to run a W5 type expose to get his big break and pull him away from reporting on Sammy the Squirrel swimming with miniature water wings
I doubt that.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Hilarious to see pilots uppity about somebody seeking answers about an accident. This entire board is filled with brainiac pilots spouting their personal opinions and theories along with relentless whinging about the speed of TSB investigations.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

phillyfan wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:23 am Hilarious to see pilots uppity about somebody seeking answers about an accident. This entire board is filled with brainiac pilots spouting their personal opinions and theories along with relentless whinging about the speed of TSB investigations.
While there is irony for sure, some do point out to the whiners and personal opinionated lot the absurdity of their factless speculation. In essence this reporter is himself seeking speculation on this sad tragedy which isn’t uncommon from the media. I would point out to the reporter the investigative authority(TSB) doesn’t speculate , they provide a factual report which will be made public upon completion of the investigation process.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

No, it's not pretty sickening. A reporters job is to investigate and report. Three people are dead in a regulated system.

It is a credit to this forum that the media consider it a place where there are people with expertise on the issue of why aircraft crash, and they are for the most part discussing that intelligently here.

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

I have my own guess as to what happened, as I’m sure most experienced float drivers will, both I do not have the facts and as such, out of respect for the deceased and the people whose lives are currently being affected by this tragedy, I will keep it to myself.
I think the really unsavoury part about the request is that it specifically calls for “theories” and speculation. It seems opportunistic and gross and like lazy, sensationalist reporting. I read that the TSB was supposed to be on scene only yesterday. Why not ask them for actual facts when their investigation is complete?

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Slats wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:09 am I have my own guess as to what happened, as I’m sure most experienced float drivers will, both I do not have the facts and as such, out of respect for the deceased and the people whose lives are currently being affected by this tragedy, I will keep it to myself.
I think the really unsavoury part about the request is that it specifically calls for “theories” and speculation. It seems opportunistic and gross and like lazy, sensationalist reporting. I read that the TSB was supposed to be on scene only yesterday. Why not ask them for actual facts when their investigation is complete?
Nailed it.

Just be a normal reporter and lurk the forum.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Mods,

It's my opinion reporters should not be welcome on this forum, or on this site.

This is not Yahoo, and not the comment section of a newspaper, and these are not aviation enthusiasts nor associated in any way.

Personally I hold the media and their standards of conduct is extremely low regard. Most Canadians, per polls, agree with this.

I see them as blood sucking parasites willing to report anything, or distort and sensationalize any story, to get a headline and those ever valuable "clicks".

Frankly, I do not believe they as a profession give a crap about aviation safety or any of the lives affected by this or any other accident.

OP, why don't you prove you're difference -- BEFORE reporting on this story, lead an initiative to donate to the families of those lost here.

I'd love to see THAT from a media organization. Get your hands dirty and help someone.

If my opinion is too subtle and anyone is unclear, my apologies :shock:

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:02 pm Mods,

It's my opinion reporters should not be welcome on this forum, or on this site.

This is not Yahoo, and not the comment section of a newspaper, and these are not aviation enthusiasts nor associated in any way.

Personally I hold the media and their standards of conduct is extremely low regard. Most Canadians, per polls, agree with this.

I see them as blood sucking parasites willing to report anything, or distort and sensationalize any story, to get a headline and those ever valuable "clicks".

Frankly, I do not believe they as a profession give a crap about aviation safety or any of the lives affected by this or any other accident.

OP, why don't you prove you're difference -- BEFORE reporting on this story, lead an initiative to donate to the families of those lost here.

I'd love to see THAT from a media organization. Get your hands dirty and help someone.

If my opinion is too subtle and anyone is unclear, my apologies :shock:
If I remember correctly, you're a Trump supporter, aren't you?

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Ok,

So those who are complaining about a reporter trying to get an idea here of what happened should definitely not complain if the article (that could be written anyway) Will be full of inexactitudes.
You are given a chance to straight things up, why not doing it!?

I applaude him being forthcoming, asking for clarification instead of just lurking and taking bits here and there in this forum. Or just plain writing an article on this subject without cross checking things.

Unfortunately I'm of no help in this particular case. I hope someone will be, here or via private message.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”