Mysterious Fuel Imbalance

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Mysterious Fuel Imbalance

Post by pelmet »

I was sure that I read about a similar event about a year ago but can't find it now.....

"C-GWSH, a Boeing 737-700 aircraft operated by WestJet, was conducting flight WJA156 from Regina Intl, SK (CYQR) to Toronto/Lester B. Pearson Intl, ON (CYYZ) with 5 crew members and 122 passengers on board. During cruise flight, the flight crew noticed a fuel imbalance between the left and the right wings. After consultation with the QRH, the flight crew elected to shut the right engine (CFM56-7B24) down and declared a MAYDAY, as they suspected a fuel leak. A diversion to Winnipeg/James A. Richardson Intl, MB (CYWG) was initiated, where the aircraft landed without further incident. The aircraft came to a stop on the runway, and the left engine was also shut down. Maintenance personnel then towed the aircraft to the parking area where passengers deplaned using the stairs. The operator's maintenance inspected the aircraft and did not identify any fuel leaks or issues with the fuel system that would explain the imbalance. The aircraft was checked serviceable and was returned to service."
---------- ADS -----------

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Mysterious Fuel Imbalance

Post by cncpc »

pelmet wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:47 pm I was sure that I read about a similar event about a year ago but can't find it now.....

"C-GWSH, a Boeing 737-700 aircraft operated by WestJet, was conducting flight WJA156 from Regina Intl, SK (CYQR) to Toronto/Lester B. Pearson Intl, ON (CYYZ) with 5 crew members and 122 passengers on board. During cruise flight, the flight crew noticed a fuel imbalance between the left and the right wings. After consultation with the QRH, the flight crew elected to shut the right engine (CFM56-7B24) down and declared a MAYDAY, as they suspected a fuel leak. A diversion to Winnipeg/James A. Richardson Intl, MB (CYWG) was initiated, where the aircraft landed without further incident. The aircraft came to a stop on the runway, and the left engine was also shut down. Maintenance personnel then towed the aircraft to the parking area where passengers deplaned using the stairs. The operator's maintenance inspected the aircraft and did not identify any fuel leaks or issues with the fuel system that would explain the imbalance. The aircraft was checked serviceable and was returned to service."
Not criticizing, just looking for insights.

Does the QRH call for the engine on the light side to be shut down?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

If fuel is leaking near the engine there is a risk of fire.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Victory wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:55 am If fuel is leaking near the engine there is a risk of fire.
I had considered that. Thanks.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

Crossfeed?

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

anofly wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:07 pmCrossfeed?
Funny timing for that comment on that particular issue...

Just a day after the 17th aniversary of Robert Piche TS236 who crossfeeded his fuel into a leaking fuel tank.

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

MarkyMark90 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:14 pm
anofly wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:07 pmCrossfeed?
Funny timing for that comment on that particular issue...

Just a day after the 17th aniversary of Robert Piche TS236 who crossfeeded his fuel into a leaking fuel tank.
From which we learned there were deficiencies in training and the way in which procedures were set out in some Airbus procedure manuals. Which knowledge I expect was incorporated into the procedures that this crew successfully executed in response to what wasn't a fuel leak, but some glitch in their aircraft. Capt. Piche assumed a glitch, and there was a problem. This crew presumed a fuel leak, and I expect correctly executed the procedure when there wasn't a leak. As a poster above said, as a result of considering the danger that a leak close to the engine would pose for a catastrophic fire.

Had the remaining engine failed and the crew resolved not to try a restart on the fire endangered engine, we would have seen how well that model of 737 glides. If they had French Canadian sounding names, and even if they'd deadsticked it on somewhere, some on here would be running on about why they didn't notice that the light side didn't get any lighter, or the imbalance corrected, or why there was no fuel trail coming off the wing.

Anyways, good job the Westjet crew.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”