Air Canada lands again

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Air Canada lands again

Post by co-joe »

Sounds to me like a couple of you need to re-write the PSTAR. :)
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:51 pm If the tower red light was bright enough to get my attention I'd probably report it afterwards as a laser strike. FWIW I keep guard up from brake release to when it's set again unless the second radio is specifically needed for something else, and then it's put back to guard immediately afterwards. Now if only the dolts would quit playing silly bugger on guard I wouldn't be tempted to turn it off....
You would have guard up on com2 during the last 1000 ft of an approach :?:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

What are you getting at? Guard is pretty much always on comm 2...

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

altiplano wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:26 pm What are you getting at? Guard is pretty much always on comm 2...
Interesting. I was unaware of that. I thought by that time dispatch/company frequencies would have been up to give eta's etc. I did not expect you would switch it back to guard for approach. It is a high workload situation, so I figured distractions from guard would not be welcome.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Unless that distraction is telling you to stop what you’re doing because you’re going to hit something.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

digits_ wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:55 pm
altiplano wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:26 pm What are you getting at? Guard is pretty much always on comm 2...
Interesting. I was unaware of that. I thought by that time dispatch/company frequencies would have been up to give eta's etc. I did not expect you would switch it back to guard for approach. It is a high workload situation, so I figured distractions from guard would not be welcome.
121.5 is usually quiet. Company frequencies can be very busy at times. I suspect most carriers stay on 121.5 although I do know of one carrier that has a different policy due to an inability to communicate with a company aircraft during a weather situation(resulting in a minor situation) that resulted in a requirement to monitor company for climb and descent phases of flight. Oddly....few do it.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

That's what acars is for - ETA, gate, etc... a few overseas stations, a call at top of descent for gate assignment... but not during arrival/approach... and only at that handful of stations - and even then it's often the RP.

Maybe *maybe* on the ground if gate is in question/occupied...

121.5 99.9% of the time, brake off to brake set.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”