Navajo crash.

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Navajo crash.

Post by pelmet »

shimmydampner wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:55 am I'll even go so far as to say that anyone who believes this story with no reservations and without question, is a functional moron with a severe lack of critical thinking abilities.
Critical thinking might suggest that another reason could be that they are unfamiliar with the door specifics of a Twin Otter because they have never been on one and even if they have as a passenger, didn't take particular note of the overall specifics of its operation.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by pelmet on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

shimmydampner wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:55 amanyone who believes this story with no reservations and without question, is a functional moron with a severe lack of critical thinking abilities.
My real name is DB Cooper, and I agree.

https://www.historicmysteries.com/frederick-valentich/

Frederick Valentich was an Australian pilot who disappeared on October 21, 1978.....

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

pelmet wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:41 am
Critical thinking might suggest that another reason could be that they are unfamiliar with the door specifics of a Twin Otter because they have never been on one and even if they have as a passenger, didn't take particular not of the overall specifics of its operation.
So, door operation aside, if you heard this obviously passed down story, you wouldn't have any questions? It would sound perfectly reasonable to you?

Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 86583 »

just to set the record straight

the date was july 17, 1985
the aircraft belonged to flight centre victoria
PA-31 C-FKQJ, it was serial #350, not a PA-31 350
pilots name was Mark Bitton
aircraft crashed shortly after departing williams lake for quesnel
aircraft only had 3 or 4 bags on it at the time of the crash, and were canceled cheques, nothing else
aircraft was on contract to loomis
the pilot was never found

the pilots flying this run would let the driver open the door at williams lake and grab the 3 or 4 bags for this stop, and in turn let the driver close the aircraft door as well.. the pilot would remain in the cockpit and only shut the left engine down..

the aircraft impacted the ground in a very steep angle of bank and almost vertical, with the engines probably at cruise power.. it was completely destroyed.. the main cabin door was in about 8 pieces but with the impact marks it was easy to tell the door handle was in the open position at impact.. so was Mark trying to close a door that hadn't been closed properly by the truck driver and got flung out holding onto the grab handle, or, did he open it and jump out.. nobody knows.. the RCMP searched with a helicopter for a few days in the general area looking for flocks of ravens but never found anything.. for the DB cooper side of things, it was discovered Mark had made a few jumps a couple months earlier that nobody was aware of..

Bernie

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

shimmydampner wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:55 am Well, nowhere did I suggest that it was a physical impossibility, merely highly improbable. A person hell bent on doing themselves in, I am sure, could do it. I'm only suggesting that it sounds VERY dubious that an experienced flight crew member could just happen to accidentally stumble out of the back of the aircraft in question, in flight. I'll even go so far as to say that anyone who believes this story with no reservations and without question, is a functional moron with a severe lack of critical thinking abilities.
It was a Ptarmigan Airways Twin Otter C-GARW

The name of the Pilot was Ted Oliver.

The event happened as previously described. I was working in Hay River at the time.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Eric Janson wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:26 pm It was a Ptarmigan Airways Twin Otter C-GARW

The event happened as previously described. I was working in Hay River at the time.
Thanks, I remember the name now.....
shimmydampner wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:14 am
pelmet wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:41 am
Critical thinking might suggest that another reason could be that they are unfamiliar with the door specifics of a Twin Otter because they have never been on one and even if they have as a passenger, didn't take particular note of the overall specifics of its operation.
So, door operation aside, if you heard this obviously passed down story, you wouldn't have any questions? It would sound perfectly reasonable to you?

I have no questions to ask.

Last edited by pelmet on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Jan 23, 1987 - Pilot. Edward (Ted) Oliver of Yellowknife, N.W.T., died Thursday when he fell out of a plane.

http://pgnewspapers.pgpl.ca/fedora/repo ... Page%20PDF

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Cool

Justjohn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Justjohn »

Eric Janson wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:26 pm
shimmydampner wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:55 am Well, nowhere did I suggest that it was a physical impossibility, merely highly improbable. A person hell bent on doing themselves in, I am sure, could do it. I'm only suggesting that it sounds VERY dubious that an experienced flight crew member could just happen to accidentally stumble out of the back of the aircraft in question, in flight. I'll even go so far as to say that anyone who believes this story with no reservations and without question, is a functional moron with a severe lack of critical thinking abilities.
It was a Ptarmigan Airways Twin Otter C-GARW

In addition to that, ARW was the Arctic Sunwest DH6 that crashed in old town fall of 2011. Killing the pilots.

Flying is better than walking. Walking is better than running. Running is better than crawling. All of these however, are better than extraction by a Med-Evac, even if this is technically a form of flying.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”