TSB sent to Buttonville helicopter crash site.

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

TSB sent to Buttonville helicopter crash site.

Post by rookiepilot »

---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: TSB sent to Buttonville helicopter crash site.

Post by Heliian »

waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by waterdog »

I think that when one of our extend family has an accident the very least we can do is learn from it so that hopefully others don't make the same mistake.

From listening to the audio of this tragic accident the lesson that I am taking away is this:

You have to keep in mind the elevation of the station that is reporting the weather. At the time of the accident, Buttonville was reporting ceilings at 500', Buttonville has an elevation of 650'.

I live very close to the accident site and it is at an elevation of 1100'. The weather wasn't any different 11 nm north of Buttonville, its just the terrain is 450' higher then the reporting station and that created the trap.

I've been caught by this before and hopefully everyone remembers to check those elevations.

My condolences to his family and friends.

K

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I've been caught by this before
Yes, me too. The area ten north of Buttonville can be much less passable weather wise, than the airport itself. Many has been the time I've been flying south toward Buttonville that I've provided a pirep saying that VFR north should not be recommended.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”