Canadian rapper dies after falling off airplane wing in failed stunt in B.C.

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Brock_Landers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Canadian rapper dies after falling off airplane wing in failed stunt in B.C.

Post by Brock_Landers »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... led-stunt/

Jon James McMurray died Saturday filming a project he had been working on for months, a statement from the team said. He trained “intensively” for the stunt, it said.

“However, as Jon got further out onto the wing of the plane, it caused the small Cessna to go into a downward spiral that the pilot couldn’t correct,” the statement said.

“Jon held onto the wing until it was too late, and by the time he let go, he didn’t have time to pull his chute. He impacted and died instantly.”

The team said the plane and the pilot later landed safely.
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Canadian rapper dies after falling off airplane wing in failed stunt in B.C.

Post by Meatservo »

So anyway, milk from American dairies is already showing up on shelves on Vancouver Island grocery stores. The Americans do not ban the use of synthetic growth hormones in dairy animals, but we do in Canada. What do you guys think of this?

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Canadian rapper dies after falling off airplane wing in failed stunt in B.C.

Post by Jet Jockey »

Meatservo wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:19 am So anyway, milk from American dairies is already showing up on shelves on Vancouver Island grocery stores. The Americans do not ban the use of synthetic growth hormones in dairy animals, but we do in Canada. What do you guys think of this?
I don’t know how the milk story fits in with the rapper dying (RIP) by falling off the wing of an aircraft but I am not buying crap American milk nor do I intend to purchase anything American if I can help it.

Last edited by Jet Jockey on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

Island Farms till I die.

Tips Up
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tips Up »

And what’s up with milk in a bag? Like seriously. Who puts milk in a bag! :shock:

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Meatservo:

I got it... :?

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Tips Up wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:52 am And what’s up with milk in a bag? Like seriously. Who puts milk in a bag! :shock:
God does! On dairy farms a cow's udder is commonly called a "bag".

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Tips Up wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:52 am And what’s up with milk in a bag? Like seriously. Who puts milk in a bag! :shock:
It was at one point a big thing here on the east coast.

I personally love this thread drift. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. What were his expectations?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Are grocery stores selling milk in bags on Vancouver Island now? I always chuckle when I see that in Ontario but I haven't seen it in BC yet.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Yeah, when I was a kid in Ontario, milk came in bags. They even made special jugs that the bags stood inside of, and little razor thingies to snip the corner of the bag at just the right angle to pour from. I've never seen it in B.C. until now, and these bags are from an American dairy.

There's no way I'm going to buy American milk. It's the same as when you buy any dangerous foreign crap: your paprika from hungary might contain carcinogens; toys from china contain lead, now milk from the U.S.A. has synthetic growth-hormones. Who knows what growth hormones will make it into the milk. It could make your kids hit pubery early and cause developmental problems. Your teenage boy could wind up being the kind of clown who falls off planes because he can't stop showing off and doing stupid shit.

I too avoid buying American products.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

I wonder how much of the mockery of this family’s tragedy has to do with their son’s music genre? Many of the Colonel’s more thoughtful posts had to do with various friends/acquaintances of his who were killed while doing aerobatics - and it would be easy to say “meh - high speed, unusual attitudes, close to the ground...what did they expect?”
I’ve got no idea what this kid was planning with his wing-walking stunt - walk, walk and a jump, walk and a land? But I’m pretty sure that taking a chute along was a reasonable precaution. That he couldn’t deploy it in time is a tragedy, not a comedy.
[All IMO, and subject to change if newer facts come out]

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

pianokeys wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:26 am
It was at one point a big thing here on the east coast.

I personally love this thread drift. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. What were his expectations?
Shite pre flight planning. Surely that problem could have been foreseen and the guy told how far along the wing he could go?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

mmm..bacon wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:18 am I wonder how much of the mockery of this family’s tragedy has to do with their son’s music genre? Many of the Colonel’s more thoughtful posts had to do with various friends/acquaintances of his who were killed while doing aerobatics - and it would be easy to say “meh - high speed, unusual attitudes, close to the ground...what did they expect?”
I’ve got no idea what this kid was planning with his wing-walking stunt - walk, walk and a jump, walk and a land? But I’m pretty sure that taking a chute along was a reasonable precaution. That he couldn’t deploy it in time is a tragedy, not a comedy.
[All IMO, and subject to change if newer facts come out]
Sure it's a tragedy for friends and family, but anytime the words stunt and airplane are used in the same sentence there's a strong likelihood no good will come of it. Hard to feel all that sorry for people who take stupid risks so they can video it to impress their friends.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

cncpc wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:24 amShite pre flight planning. Surely that problem could have been foreseen and the guy told how far along the wing he could go?
Or fly high enough that falling off the wing would leave you time for your parachute?

None of the facts of this are really clear. He was "wingwalking" on a Cessna 180... So how did he get up on the wing in the first place? Was he actually just climbing out on the strut? He managed to "hold on as long as possible..." to what? there's nothing on the end of the wing, unless it was the wingtip he was holding on to, and his hand was blocking the gap. Was there an SFOC in place? What does it say?

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

AirFrame wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:49 pm Was there an SFOC in place? What does it say?
My question was: What is needed to legally attempt a stunt like this?

Looks like a SFOC is the answer. I assume what you are planning to do has to be described in detail and proven to be safe? Or do they just give you permission to take an unproven risk?

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

5x5 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:30 pm but anytime the words stunt and airplane are used in the same sentence there's a strong likelihood no good will come of it. Hard to feel all that sorry for people who take stupid risks so they can video it to impress their friends.
Shut down all the airshows I guess, right?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The video associated with the musician's flying also shows the Cessna waterskiing, so I'm already not impressed with the flying discipline of the operation. Thus, it would not be surprising that other aspects of the operation pushed the bounds of safe. On one of my first flights as a jump pilot, the very experienced jumpers, at a suitably high altitude hand over handed out the wing strut. The problem with that was that they had not briefed me as to what they would do. So, I had lots of left control applied to counteract the un briefed drag on the right, when someone yelled "yahoo!", and they all let go at once. Well that poor 185 tumbled so tight, I wonder if I actually went backwards! We had a pilot to jumps chat after that, and I required a briefing as to what was going to happen.

In the mean time, if the musician fellow was outside the aircraft at an altitude too low to be suitable for him to pull his 'chute in time, it sounds like the training and supervision was lacking.

I agree; "stunt" or "watch this" combined with an airplane increase risk.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Actually there is a difference between performing " stunts " in an airplane and flying an airdisplay program in an airshow under an airdisplay authority.

To perform an airdisplay program we first need the license which is only approved when we satisfy the authority we can safely fly the manoeuvres.

The video associated with the musician's flying also shows the Cessna waterskiing,
In my personal opinion that is reckless operation of an airplane and should be chargeable.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

C.W.E. wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:43 pmIn my personal opinion that is reckless operation of an airplane and should be chargeable.
It is a violation of CARs to operate an airplane in a dangerous way, but after talking with my policeman pal its a chargeable offense under the Criminal Code. Whether or not the Crown will go for this is another matter. I 100% agree with you, I think this is reckless, and there is a major difference between air display and stunting. Best case scenario is buddy died, which has happened, worse case is buddy couldve taken out a rudder or what not and caused a more serious situation. I wonder what the pilots role is in this, if someone came to me asking to do this kinda stunting, I wouldve walked away.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

He went from "aspiring rapper" to "expired rapper"

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”