Savin' the Prop

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Savin' the Prop

Post by PilotDAR »

I can see with the ridiculous parts prices how damage costs can easily exceed hull value, best be saving that 2 blade prop then.
Have you priced out a prop, crankshaft and bulk overhaul lately? Yeah, nothing is low cost for aircraft, and that situation is only going to get worse. Insurance companies know this too. If you'd like to keep the cost of insurance jut a little bit lower, apply your flying skills the best you can to mitigate damage for them (or yourself, if you're self insured). If you can prevent something being damaged with minimal risk, do that! Why not be thought of well by your peers for an act of airmanship with good intent, and a better than normal outcome (like the pilot who inspired this discussion), instead of making the insurance adjuster, agent, repair shop(s), and some peers roll their eyes while they think about how they'd have done it differently. Fly better to inspire other pilots to also fly better, rather than saying "that's all I have to do, so it's all I will do".

You'd be amazed how long planes last if you treat them gently, while flying them with skill. (Spoken as the owner of one of my planes for 31 years, and another for 10 years now). I'm proud of how I have returned every plane I was flying to where it was supposed to be, with no pilot induced damage of any consequence. Some of those safe returns have been with some pretty significant failures, including four engine failures, three significant control system failures, and two events (sadly on the same set of floats on two different planes) where a mainwheel would not extend.

Demonstrate that super pilot skill every now and then to keep flying more economical for all of us!
---------- ADS -----------

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

PilotDAR wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:18 am
I can see with the ridiculous parts prices how damage costs can easily exceed hull value, best be saving that 2 blade prop then.
Have you priced out a prop, crankshaft and bulk overhaul lately? Yeah, nothing is low cost for aircraft, and that situation is only going to get worse. Insurance companies know this too. If you'd like to keep the cost of insurance jut a little bit lower, apply your flying skills the best you can to mitigate damage for them (or yourself, if you're self insured). If you can prevent something being damaged with minimal risk, do that! Why not be thought of well by your peers for an act of airmanship with good intent, and a better than normal outcome (like the pilot who inspired this discussion), instead of making the insurance adjuster, agent, repair shop(s), and some peers roll their eyes while they think about how they'd have done it differently. Fly better to inspire other pilots to also fly better, rather than saying "that's all I have to do, so it's all I will do".

You'd be amazed how long planes last if you treat them gently, while flying them with skill. (Spoken as the owner of one of my planes for 31 years, and another for 10 years now). I'm proud of how I have returned every plane I was flying to where it was supposed to be, with no pilot induced damage of any consequence. Some of those safe returns have been with some pretty significant failures, including four engine failures, three significant control system failures, and two events (sadly on the same set of floats on two different planes) where a mainwheel would not extend.

Demonstrate that super pilot skill every now and then to keep flying more economical for all of us!
Perhaps I'm wrong then. I found an old invoice for a gear up landing from my plane from 20 years ago, it was $25'000 back then, prop, engine inspection, skin, gear door and cowl flap repair, probably double that now.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

We had a crash of one of our training aircraft on landing about 4 months ago. The nosewheel broke off, cowling smashed-in, wing tips damaged, tail damaged, prop broken in pieces and the engine mount was bent and damaged. The insurance company is still debating a repair pay-out or a write-off. It's been sitting under a tarp in the hangar for a long, long time. If a plane can go through all that and sill be possibly repaired, I can't imagine a gear-up landing is necessarily worthy of a write-off... especially if you save the prop with your fully-capable piloting skills.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”