Mid-Air Collision Near Ottawa

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Mid-Air Collision Near Ottawa

Post by pelmet »

Only breaking news right now. Reported to be serious. Probably GA aircraft.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by pelmet on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Mid-Air Collision over Ottawa

Post by ctmorawetz »

Keep your stick on the ice - Red Green
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Mid-Air Collision Near Ottawa

Post by youhavecontrol »

Yeah, from the sounds of it, two GA aircraft... one an ultralight and the other something "larger" with two occupants.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/two-aircr ... -1.4162722

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

youhavecontrol wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:44 am Yeah, from the sounds of it, two GA aircraft... one an ultralight and the other something "larger" with two occupants.

File photo. Cheyenne and a Cessna 150. Cheyenne diverted to YOW and landed safely. 150 crashed.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

youhavecontrol wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:44 am Yeah, from the sounds of it, two GA aircraft... one an ultralight and the other something "larger" with two occupants.

Sorry, isn't the CTV footage of that ultralight that crashed in Ottawa a short time ago?

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Yes, the red and white ultralight crashed Oct 16.
Media and their stock footage.
Sigh.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Man, that fooled me. I hate when they post sh*t that's not directly related to the event they're reporting.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Reporters following this story:

Do you realize posting false pictures potentially hurts the families involved?

Last edited by rookiepilot on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Sounds like like the Piper low wing joined mid downwind and collided with a Cessna high wing from overhead. Sad day for all involved. Sad day for GA. Image of damaged gear on the Piper:

Last edited by JasonE on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I read a "Cessna and a Piper" collided. I always have a pang of empathy for pilots of each type when a low wing Piper and a high wing Cessna get in each other's blind spots. The CBC shows us a photo of a damaged Piper Cheyenne. Yeah, it's a low wing Piper, but they cruise along at a speed such that a Cessna [150] is not going to catch up to the Cheyenne and collide with it. The Cheyenne had to be moving a lot faster, and hopefully keeping a look out appropriate to it's speed relative to traffic which could be expected in the area of Carp. Back in the day, I used to fly a Cheyenne based at Buttonville. I always kept a super keen lookout when down below TRSA, 'cause I knew I was moving faster than nearly every other aircraft around me.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/o ... -1.4892081

From the article

'Somebody ran into the bottom of me,' pilot tells control tower

We all know who has right of way in the circuit. You're the pilot of a faster, higher aircraft. Who ran into whom?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

We all know who has right of way in the circuit. You're the pilot of a faster, higher aircraft. Who ran into whom?
My thought exactly....

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

This scenario plays out every few years, in various ways. It's sad, I truly feel for all those effected.
It's also a solid reminder to keep those procedures sharp, and your lookout sharper. Did the piper have tcas?, did the 150 have a transponder? were proper radio calls made. All these points need to be considered
Fly safe all.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

Condolences to all affected.

While maybe this isn't the best time or place to mention, I will anyways: I recently flew with a portable ADSB receiver and tablet that displayed traffic and taws traffic and alerts - it was quite impressive for the cost. Of course there are more proper panel installed systems - but the point is, we have some pretty good technology to help avoid collisions. I'm starting to think it is definitely worth it to spend the few bucks and get the equivalent of another set of eyes looking for traffic (and maybe convince people to update their transponders). Tragedies like this are always saddening.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

FlyGy wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:48 pm https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/o ... -1.4892081

From the article

'Somebody ran into the bottom of me,' pilot tells control tower

While it sounds straightforward, I wouldn't be too quick to point fingers - I was in a Navajo one time having just called and joined straight in to the downwind when a small single (can't recall the type) with an instructor and student onboard called joining overhead crosswind. I was peering intently and both of us were talking to each other but I just couldn't see him. He called that he had me in sight and that he was well ahead, and asked what my speed was. When I told him and that I still didn't have him in sight he said he would join in front of me, which he did and then promptly proceeded to grow larger in my windscreen as I closed with him, even at a speed well below what I had quoted.

I can see where we could've been in each others' blind spots if he had've reached the downwind spot I was on a few seconds later....

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

https://www.wingsmagazine.com/news/carp ... gn=181106W
TSB update on mid-air collision over Carp airport

November 06, 2018

Written by Wings Staff

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada today held a conference call to provide more details about the mid-air collision that took place between a Piper PA-42 Cheyenne III and a Cessna 150 in the airspace of Carp, Ontario, near Ottawa. The mid-air collision, which is the 10th recorded in Canada over the past 10 years, happened within the traffic pattern of Carp Airport, where both planes were registered

Beverley Harvey, a senior investigator with the Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB), explains a wing of the Cessna 150, with one person on board, was partially severed after the collision at around 10:10 am on November 4. The Cessna impacted the ground shortly after, resulting in a fire, and the pilot was fatally injured.

The second aircraft, a Piper PA-42 (Cheyenne III) with two occupants on board, was significantly damaged but able to fly to the Ottawa Macdonald–Cartier International Airport, where it landed at about 10:30 am. The aft fuselage, rudder, wings and main landing gear of the twin-engine Piper turboprop were damaged, but neither of its two occupants were injured in the incident.

Harvey explains, that after an initial TSB review of the weather, the Piper was approaching CARP Airport, which is just outside of Ottawa, with a visibility of 20 statute miles at the time of the accident, and there were few clouds in the area. While the Piper was arriving into Carp Aiport, TSB is still determining the orientation of the Cessna.

Neither of the aircraft were equipped with, nor were they required to carry, a cockpit voice recorder or a flight data recorder. The Cessna has been brought to the TSB Engineering Laboratory in Ottawa to help determine how the two aircraft came into contact. Harvey explains that by analyzing scratch marks and impact damage, investigators are hoping to get a more precise picture of the exact position of each aircraft at the time of impact, and what the impact geometry was.

Work at the site is completed, but the field phase of the investigation continues. In the coming days and weeks, investigators will review audio and radar data from NAV CANADA, which will assist in determining the exact nature of the collision. Harvey explains TSB will also review aircraft maintenance records, pilot training, qualifications and proficiency records. TSB will also examine Carp Airport operations, procedures, airspace design and designation.

Harvey emphasized it is important not to speculate or draw conclusions about the causes of occurrences, as there are often many factors that can contribute to an accident.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Many years ago, I was doing circuits in a plane with a bubble canopy. Turning final, at the direction of the control tower (class D), I couldn't find the other traffic for the life of me. He couldn't see me either. Looking ahead, left, right etc. Then I looked directly upwards and there's his wheels. He was 50' directly above me. No wonder he couldn't find me. After pointing this out, he overshot and I continued to land normally.

My point being, that sometimes, even in a controlled environment, airplanes hide in blind spots, or other locations where you least expect them to be. Keep your head on a swivel, use your radio; ears first and make the required radio calls clear and concise.

FlySigi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FlySigi »

nbinont wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:52 am Condolences to all affected.

While maybe this isn't the best time or place to mention, I will anyways: I recently flew with a portable ADSB receiver and tablet that displayed traffic and taws traffic and alerts - it was quite impressive for the cost. Of course there are more proper panel installed systems - but the point is, we have some pretty good technology to help avoid collisions. I'm starting to think it is definitely worth it to spend the few bucks and get the equivalent of another set of eyes looking for traffic (and maybe convince people to update their transponders). Tragedies like this are always saddening.
The only problem with ADS-B is, Canada is not implementing it in January 2020. Therefor, any ADS-B receiver in Canada is pretty useless as Canada has no ADS-B ground stations. I have a portable Scout ADS-B receiver and used it extensively while flying in California, Oregon and Washington and it worked great. The only thing I see when I use it here in BC are other aircraft with ADS-B out installed, which are mostly airliners at this point.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”