Skylease Cargo 747 Runway Overrun YHZ Nov 7, 2018

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: Skylease Cargo 747 Runway Overrun YHZ Nov 7, 2018

Post by Old fella »

HiFlyChick wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:54 pm Putting in more ILSs at this point in time would be as foolish as TC deciding in the last few years to push SCDA approaches. Pre-GPS would've been the time to push SCDA, and pre-GPS would've been the time to install more ILSs (not that I necessarily agree that they should have more ILSs). If operators won't spend the money to upgrade their technology to stuff that's been around for decades, then they should expect to spend the money when their aircraft have to go to their alternate (that the pilot's didn't go to the alternate is another problem altogether).
YHZ is my neck of the woods, although been away from the aviation business past number of years I thought ole Robert Stanfield International was adequately covered for approaches. It has 2 ILS which includes a CAT 11 perhaps a CAT111 there now- I don’t keep an update CAP. Also I thought each runway is served with a GPS approach that has WAAS LPV that supports vertical guidance down to 200ft again I may be wrong on that. I do know from yrs back NAV CAN upgraded the many ILS and there was no BC capability so GPS were designed with vertical guidance. I don’t think anybody can blame the airport nor NAV CAN if some airlines and operators do not have the necessary avionics to support what is available at YHZ.
---------- ADS -----------

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

ILS's are going the way of the ndb. Over the next number of years they will be phased out in favour of RNAV RNP approaches. If an airline chooses not to be RNAV capable that will be tantamount to only having an NDB approach available to you today. As pilot's if companies don't give you the necessary equipment to get in in certain weather conditions then that's what we have alternates for.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enginee ... tor_system

Over 100 installed in the US. Not aware of any in Canada.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Eric Janson wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:24 am Agree with you about Halifax - the ILS should be on 32 imho. Adding a few thousand feet would be a good idea as well imho...
Why would they spend all of that money on an ILS on 32, when the RNAV gets you down to 200 AGL?

In terms of extending the length, they just spent a bunch increasing the length of 23....

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

tbaylx wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:19 am ILS's are going the way of the ndb. Over the next number of years they will be phased out in favour of RNAV RNP approaches. If an airline chooses not to be RNAV capable that will be tantamount to only having an NDB approach available to you today. As pilot's if companies don't give you the necessary equipment to get in in certain weather conditions then that's what we have alternates for.
Nav Canada's tech watch publication indicates a 10 yr life-cycle ILS replacement cycle which the last phase to be completed this year(2018) a good many replacements have been done. Not sure ILS is is going the way of NDB approaches yet.An informed source at NC said this life-cycle is good to 2040 as new systems are quite good. Don't think RNAV-RNP is as good as CAT 111 with the various A and B limits but then again there are better informed that me on this.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Old fella wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:06 pm ...Don't think RNAV-RNP is as good as CAT 111 with the various A and B limits but then again there are better informed that me on this.
Good point about the CAT II and II ILS, Old fella. I had been thinking the same thing as tbaylx, but that's only from my limited perspective of the old garden-variety CAT I - I forgot about the guys with the fancy equipment :)

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

They (ILS) are also the main instrument approach at major international hubs. When’s the last time you’ve seen YYZ or LAX advertise Rnavs? They aren’t going anywhere anytime soon.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Are they getting closer to achieving lower RNAV RNP minimums? So far the lowest minimums I've seen are about 200' for RNP 0.1, and about 300' for RNP 0.3.

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

You would need 3/4 of a mile and just over 300’ to get in on 32 on anything other than an LPV. Which airlines are doing LPV approaches?

There are RNP approaches that come down to less than 300’, but you still need 3/4 of a mile vis to shoot them. ILS isn’t going anywhere.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Go Guns wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:44 am You would need 3/4 of a mile and just over 300’ to get in on 32 on anything other than an LPV. Which airlines are doing LPV approaches?
Are there seriously no airlines doing LPV?
(or did I misread a sarcastic tone that wasn't there? :) )

ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ehbuddy »

It would be nice if the Air Museum could snag the cockpit section of it for a static display

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

ehbuddy wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:33 pm It would be nice if the Air Museum could snag the cockpit section of it for a static display
Wow. Good idea. I wonder if they have the room for it. And anyone thinking the same as you.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

The replacement for ILS is GLS approaches. For instance the GLS approach 4L at EWR shows 200’ and rvr 1800 or 1/2 mile. Supposedly the Cat II and III GLS approaches are being developed.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

HiFlyChick wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:41 pm
Eric Janson wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:24 am Agree with you about Halifax - the ILS should be on 32 imho. Adding a few thousand feet would be a good idea as well imho...
Why would they spend all of that money on an ILS on 32, when the RNAV gets you down to 200 AGL?

In terms of extending the length, they just spent a bunch increasing the length of 23....
Since they already have the installation - moving the installation can be done at a fraction of the cost of a new ILS system. Perhaps even upgrade it to a Cat II/III installation.

Perhaps they can attract more operators with both runways the same length.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Since they already have the installation - moving the installation can be done at a fraction of the cost of a new ILS system. Perhaps even upgrade it to a Cat II/III installation.

Funny how this is such a hard concept. Improve the product and actually attract more business!

A foreign concept in Canada.

55+
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 55+ »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Perhaps as an airline pilot you are not familiar with certification standards for Canadian Airports(TP-312) nor Instrument Procedure Design Criteria(TP-308). Let me assure you as a person who has been involved( probably just as long as you have been an international airline pilot) and trained in the noted standards and criteria manuals you simply can’t take a system from one end and plunk it down on the other side. There are many variables involved, studies required way to numerous to elaborate here, Categories 11/111 add more layers and complexities on top of it. Kindest regards.

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

HiFlyChick wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:10 pm
Go Guns wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:44 am You would need 3/4 of a mile and just over 300’ to get in on 32 on anything other than an LPV. Which airlines are doing LPV approaches?
Are there seriously no airlines doing LPV?
(or did I misread a sarcastic tone that wasn't there? :) )

It was a serious question. I know WestJet does not, but I’m not sure otherwise.

Guilden
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Guilden »

Encore does LPV approaches..

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

There are plenty of LPV approaches in Canada with the same minimums as an ILS (200’ AGL DAs and RVR 2600’ or 1/2 mile vis).

Just to name one airport, CYUL, all the following runways have LPV minimums that match their ILS minimums... RWY 06L, 06R, 10, 24L and 24R.

IIRC, in the future (if not already available at certain airports) CAT II AND III minimums will be available with GPS/GNSS/SBAS type systems but they require an additional piece of equipment to be installed at the airport, LAAS or Local Area Augmentation System, now more commonly known as the Ground Based Augmentation System (GBAS).

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

We do LPV approaches at Jazz on the Q400. The whole fleet isn't capable but most are.

On another note did another 747 come and get the crustaceans?

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”