Air Astana EMB190

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Air Astana EMB190

Post by Gino Under »

Drama over Portugal yesterday. Remembrance day.

https://youtu.be/evYLkhxoP3U

Gino Under
---------- ADS -----------

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Air Astana EMB190

Post by HiFlyChick »

Wow! So glad that turned out okay - my heart really went out to those pilots struggling to control that aircraft for such a long time, and then thinking that at the end of it they were going to ditch it. They did an amazing job

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

That must have been terrifying and exhausting.
Thank goodness it had a positive outcome. Well done to all who did what they could to help.
No doubt Embraer will be looking very closely at what could have caused this.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Interesting flight path
Interesting flight path
CAC86B1B-B722-4CAC-86D6-BFB353CCA1C0.jpeg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1553 times

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Reports of possible aileron mis-rigging. That's killed a lot of people.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4c04438e&opt=0

Photo shows roll spoilers operating normally and ailerons reversed.

The worst time to accept an aircraft is when it is just out of maintenance. Always nice when you get handed a bag of parts they didn't have time to install!

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Gino Under wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:03 pm Drama over Portugal yesterday. Remembrance day.

https://youtu.be/evYLkhxoP3U

Gino Under
Most useless fighter jet interception ever :roll:
The TCAS part of the conversation was just gold.

Glad it ended well!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CBAME
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CBAME »

I suspect the intercept was there so there were some witnesses and perhaps a reliable recording in the event things ended horribly.

great job by the crew, Those cold beers are well deserved!

As for the possibility of the ailerons being reversed. whenever i rigged any flight control or was asked to perform an independent inspection I always had some one move the controls without telling me the direction and me looking at the aircraft and confirming the position of the flight controls matches the flight deck inputs. Trim tabs seemed to be the most difficult for people to get right

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

CBAME wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:20 pm As for the possibility of the ailerons being reversed. whenever i rigged any flight control or was asked to perform an independent inspection I always had some one move the controls without telling me the direction and me looking at the aircraft and confirming the position of the flight controls matches the flight deck inputs. Trim tabs seemed to be the most difficult for people to get right
Correct. I have done three post maintenance check flights, all on different types of fairly large aircraft.

For my first post-maintenance flight, it appeared to me that there was no detailed visual inspection of the flight control check. It was the type of aircraft where you could only see the deflection of one out of six possibilities from the cockpit(the aileron in one direction only). It had been a major inspection including having the whole tail removed. We were at the overhaul facility well in advance of the actual flight due to the inevitable delays. At the appropriate time, I made sure on my own(with consent from the maintenance crew) to turn on the hydraulics and check each control deflection myself. Paranoia? Perhaps and of course all was OK.

The second one had the most complicated flight controls installation. Prior to the flight, there was a detailed procedure where one crewman was outside the aircraft hooked up by a headset with a long extension cord for communication via one of the many plug-in jacks that the aircraft has. The procedure had him confirm each flight control(including spoilers) for proper movement when a control wheel/column input was made. On this aircraft, spoiler and aileron deflections for a given control wheel input could vary based on flap setting or speed brake setting so that was checked too.

My suggestion would be for the PIC to do a visual check of the flight controls for all six possible deflections and whatever else(such as spoilers or variations in control movement due to flap position). Have the other pilot make the input and then go back to a window or outside to verify for yourself that it is correct. And do not trust the more modern cockpit displays of flight control positions as being correct on a first flight after maintenance. Visually confirm yourself.

My post-maintenance check flights were all at the same company and pilots would just be chosen at random to go do a check. The new company is bigger and seems to have their own dedicated guys. I know it is likely safer with the dedicated guys but I did enjoy doing these check flights as you got to do some interesting stuff which could vary by aircraft. Manual gear and flap extension, Dutch roll recovery, approach to stall, even flying directly at the top of a high mountain to test for TAWS system activation, etc.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”