piper arrow down at CYFD

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: piper arrow down at CYFD

Post by 05480213 »

I have noticed as one gets older you tend to have more medical and dental appointmens. This should be taken under consideration when flight planning to account for weather.
---------- ADS -----------

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

i have been using a 92 year old freelance instructor for part of my night rating. the guy is amazing, sharp, agile and quick.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

geneticistx wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:44 am i have been using a 92 year old freelance instructor for part of my night rating. the guy is amazing, sharp, agile and quick.
We can all hope to be like that at that age, that's amazing!

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

C.W.E. wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 pm For sure age can degrade ones mental acuity, however it varies from person to person and can be difficult to measure initially.

Bob Hoover was a good example of age and the ability to think and react to a very high degree of skill, he was still doing engine out aerobatics at low level in his Aerocommander well into his eighties.
I am in much better shape than a few 40 yr olds I know, however I also know of some 75-80 yr olds who are in superior shape than me. There are some much younger better people than me who didn’t get to live as long as I did, conversely there will be some undesirables who will get to live longer than me. I take it all in stride.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I think the real question is, why was any non-icing certified Piper buzzing around in a snowstorm at 1am on a flight itinerary (at best). We landed at Pearson at around 4pm, it was pretty messy already and that was the first wave. Would never think to venture out in a Piper VFR deep into the front.

It boggles the mind.

S.

gwengler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gwengler »

All I am saying here is that I believe the pilot did not want to be seen (or heard) flying, that's why he flew in the middle of the night. He owned several airplanes which were stationed both in Burlington as well as in Brantford. He flew from Burlington to Brantford. The radar picture (attached) may indicate that it was not snowing a lot in Burlington which may have lured him into this flight. It looks also that it was snowing potentially heavier (stringer?) in Brantford.
Radar.jpg
Radar.jpg (226.01 KiB) Viewed 2916 times

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Yikes- I wonder if ATC tracked him, likely being only VFR target in their sights.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

gwengler wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:46 am All I am saying here is that I believe the pilot did not want to be seen (or heard) flying, that's why he flew in the middle of the night.
Why?

Sounds like there might be something a lttle bit even more "interesting" to this story. What other airplane types did he own?

gwengler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gwengler »

It is actually very sad.

He owned a 182 and a 150 or 152.

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Very strange him being up in that weather at that time.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

The report doesn't paint a very flattering picture of the events leading to the accident.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Very sad. I knew this pilot and he was a true gentleman.

gwengler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gwengler »

I was at the pilot's funeral (we were hangar neighbours) and someone said "he just would not accept that he wasn't allowed to fly anymore". Very sad, he was just such a nice gentleman and his wife who died with him was also such a nice lady. They stuck together like glue especially since after she was in the grips of Alzheimer's.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

gwengler wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:27 am I was at the pilot's funeral (we were hangar neighbours) and someone said "he just would not accept that he wasn't allowed to fly anymore". Very sad, he was just such a nice gentleman and his wife who died with him was also such a nice lady. They stuck together like glue especially since after she was in the grips of Alzheimer's.
I am not advocating flying illegally without a medical, but he could have chosen to not fly in poor weather and not be somewhat intoxicated. Aside from a CAR violation, everything would still be here.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:00 pm
I am not advocating flying illegally without a medical, but he could have chosen to not fly in poor weather and not be somewhat intoxicated. Aside from a CAR violation, everything would still be here.

Pelmet just shut up.

You are contributing NOTHING by your comments on something and someone you have zero personal understanding or knowledge of.

What part of that DON'T you understand?

MOD's. Enough. Another thread wrecked.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:23 pm
pelmet wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:00 pm

Pelmet just shut up.

You are contributing NOTHING by your comments on something and someone you have zero personal understanding or knowledge of.

What part of that DON'T you understand?

MOD's. Enough. Another thread wrecked.
I believe you are the one who wrecked a thread again. Insults in reply to an accurate statement discussing an accident.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I would suggest if the goal is educational, and not the gossip and holier than thou commentary that wrecks that goal ---- for those seriously interested in studying accidents, watching a number of AOPA,s Air Safety Institute videos would cover any number of GA scenarios well, without needing to speculate on this poor couple's outcome.

Can't we just call it tragic and leave it there?

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon May 27, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gwengler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gwengler »

One person is a troll and the other person feeds it. Both destroy the forums. Just leave it alone.

laminar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by laminar »

66mg/100ml of blood is up there. At my work Christmas party I drank 2 schooners and 4 bottles of beer over the course of 3 hours to get to 31. To think I would have to double that and attempt flying would be insane.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”