PAL nose gear collapse

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

PAL nose gear collapse

Post by av8ts »

PAL airlines nose gear collapsed landing CYJT this morning
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
362DC7AE-C296-4F71-B0E1-F7E24297C564.jpeg
362DC7AE-C296-4F71-B0E1-F7E24297C564.jpeg (41.66 KiB) Viewed 3422 times
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: PAL nose gear collapse

Post by ant_321 »

Ouch. Any other info? Any gear unsafe indications or just folded up on the roll out?

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Seems I found my answer. NTV news is reporting they were circling for an hour. I’ve been in the same situation myself. It’s not a good feeling when that nose starts scraping.

“Few details are available at this hour but we can confirm a Provincial Airlines plane made an emergency landing just after lunch today at Stephenville airport. The Dash-8 aircraft made what appears to be an emergency landing after the pilot is said to have had difficulty lowering the landing gear. The plane circled for about an hour before attempting to land. There were 50 people on the aircraft at the time. There are no reports of injuries. The plane remains on the runway where it came to a stop after the nose gear collapsed”

DH8Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DH8Pilot »

It sounds like they were originally destined for YDF, but elected to proceed to YJT after recognizing the issue with the nose gear. The nose gear doors appear to have opened, based on the post-landing pictures, so I would surmise it was only the gear itself that got stuck.

It's fairly challenging conditions out east today - great job to the crew! I'd be curious to know what their fuel situation was, given they potentially had to divert to YJT with their gear down and limited to 14,000ft. At least the weather conditions in YJT were relatively good.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

"C-FPAE, a Bombardier DHC-8-300 aircraft operated by Provincial Airlines, was conducting flight PVL1922 from Churchill Falls (CZUM), NL to Deer Lake (CYDF), NL with 4 crew members and 47 passengers on board. At approximately 1430Z during the approach at CYDF, the flight crew selected the landing gear down; however, the nose gear did not extend completely. The flight crew executed a missed approach and entered a hold for approximately 1 hour, in order to resolve the problem. At 1532Z, the flight crew declared an emergency and requested a diversion to Stephenville (CYJT), NL due to deteriorating runway conditions at CYDF. The aircraft landed at CYJT at 1600Z, with the nose landing gear in a partially extended position. The aircraft came to a stop approximately half way down the runway. All on board egressed the aircraft with no reported injuries."

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

DH8Pilot wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:44 am It's fairly challenging conditions out east today - great job to the crew! I'd be curious to know what their fuel situation was, given they potentially had to divert to YJT with their gear down and limited to 14,000ft. At least the weather conditions in YJT were relatively good.
Report is out. The TSB says they held for an hour trying to figure things out in deteriorating weather and then diverted. Landed with less than final reserve fuel. Maybe best to divert early, especially if a gear leg is stuck down and not knowing what the fuel burn will be.

The crew spent a lot of time discussing the issue with their company personnel(in YYT) using cellphones which seem like it has the potential to be quite useful. The TSB seems to be concerned about the distractions and reduced capability to communicate with each other due to this. I am sure there is a way to do it in a reasonably safe manner, even if the company hasn't written a procedure for it.

I did find this statement odd for an aircraft landing with a partially retracted nosegear.....

"At 1230, with the CYYT team still on the phone, the aircraft touched down firmly on the main landing gear as the FO simultaneously pulled the nose gear release. The captain narrated the landing for the CYYT team as the nose dropped lower and the partially extended NLG made contact with the runway."

https://tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/ ... a0088.html

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

System knowledge would have told them that all the pulling in the world on that nosegear alternate release wasn't going to amount to anything (after the FSS visually confirmed partial extension). Pulling the handle simply releases the uplocks and gravity and airstream take care of the rest.

As for all the conference calling... great; that's a tool, but there comes a point where everyone needs to face the fact that talking on the phone won't extend the gear. The narrative through the landing sequence and the attempt to try and force it down by way of a firm main-gear arrival didn't show great judgement (in my lowly opinion).

Unnecessary extra risks taken on that flight.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

Canoehead wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:54 am System knowledge would have told them that all the pulling in the world on that nosegear alternate release wasn't going to amount to anything (after the FSS visually confirmed partial extension). Pulling the handle simply releases the uplocks and gravity and airstream take care of the rest.

As for all the conference calling... great; that's a tool, but there comes a point where everyone needs to face the fact that talking on the phone won't extend the gear. The narrative through the landing sequence and the attempt to try and force it down by way of a firm main-gear arrival didn't show great judgement (in my lowly opinion).

Unnecessary extra risks taken on that flight.

But it's a "Crash 8" so maybe they thought the standard "shopping cart" landing could shake something loose? :rolleyes:

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”