Air Canada tailstrike in Hong Kong

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Air Canada tailstrike in Hong Kong

Post by Meatservo »

I swear to god if anyone mentions "variable tailwinds on final" I will send them to the same hell as the "that'll buff out" idiot.
---------- ADS -----------

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

I'd be curious about the wind conditions on final.

LCflyguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LCflyguy »

Mick G wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 pm That'll buff right out
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:45 am
sportingrifle wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:44 pm Landed on 07R with a 15 knot N wind. This scenario in HK is well known for low level windshear. Could have been a factor.
That's not correct - airport briefing says winds over 20 knots from the N will potentially cause problems. And then for approach 25l/R and Missed approach/Departure 07L/R.
I have it on good authority that it was a wind shear event.

Here's the briefing for anyone unfamiliar with HKG.
image1.png
image1.png (784.36 KiB) Viewed 3857 times

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

altiplano wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 am
Eric Janson wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:45 am
sportingrifle wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:44 pm Landed on 07R with a 15 knot N wind. This scenario in HK is well known for low level windshear. Could have been a factor.
That's not correct - airport briefing says winds over 20 knots from the N will potentially cause problems. And then for approach 25l/R and Missed approach/Departure 07L/R.
I have it on good authority that it was a wind shear event.
Bottom line....be ready to advance the thrust. Autothrottle all the way to touchdown type guys could be less ready to quickly add thrust. Pulling the control column aft as an only response to a decreasing performance shear will bring the tail closer to the ground. Reduced flaps on approach may be helpful on a long runway like the ones at HKG.

Last edited by pelmet on Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

pelmet wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:06 pm Bottom line....be ready to advance the thrust. Autothrottle all the way to touchdown guys could be less ready to quickly add thrust. Pulling the control column aft as an only response to a decreasing performance shear will bring the tail closer to the ground. Reduced flaps on approach may be helpful on a long runway like the ones at HKG.
Sadly we now have a generation of Pilots who are afraid to turn automatics "off", companies that want no/minimal manual flying and trainers who are lost outside the books.

Seen all of the above. The Blind leading the Blind.

This is my personal experience and not a comment on this incident.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Eric Janson wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:17 pm
pelmet wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:06 pm Bottom line....be ready to advance the thrust. Autothrottle all the way to touchdown guys could be less ready to quickly add thrust. Pulling the control column aft as an only response to a decreasing performance shear will bring the tail closer to the ground. Reduced flaps on approach may be helpful on a long runway like the ones at HKG.
Sadly we now have a generation of Pilots who are afraid to turn automatics "off", companies that want no/minimal manual flying and trainers who are lost outside the books.

The ole “stick and rudder” skills are missing in this newer generation of airline pilots is what you are seeing from your own observations.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Old fella wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:27 pm

The ole “stick and rudder” skills are missing in this newer generation of airline pilots is what you are seeing from your own observations.
A lot of people don't seem to know what a rudder is or how to use it correctly or even at all.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Eric Janson wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:57 am
Old fella wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:27 pm

A lot of people don't seem to know what a rudder is or how to use it correctly or even at all.
Is it a product of having very low flying time pilots say with 200-300 hrs TT in cockpits of NB/WB airliners.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Is it a product of having very low flying time pilots say with 200-300 hrs TT in cockpits of NB/WB airliners.
It is 100% the lack of proper basic flight training by the flying training schools.

Then to add insult to the problem the flight test people are so incompetent they pass the students and give them a license.

The whole system is a sad joke and has been for decades.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

So I'm not the only one that cringes every time I watch those x-wind landings that get posted to YouTube, you know the ones where the aircraft's land without ever having any x-wind correction at touchdown or even during their swerving roll-outs?
I'm told there's no need to kick-out the crab or even roll aileron into the wind with the heavies, but I also rarely see the turbo-props using proper x-wind techniques in these videos either, just seems wrong to me! Are these dramatic landings a product of never having learned the proper x-wind technique in the first place? :?

Keep the dirty side down.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Heard a rumour it was the FO’s first landing, any truth to it?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

EPR wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:04 pm I'm told there's no need to kick-out the crab or even roll aileron into the wind with the heavies,
I think you will find that Boeing has as many as three techniques for crosswind landings in some of their aircraft including landing in a crab. However, it would be wise to not try this on a dry runway, especially in a significant crosswind or else you might get an 'interesting' rollout.

Even the largest of aircraft can get a very noticeable wing-down tendency if aileron is not held into wind during the takeoff/landing roll in a significant crosswind, although whether or not that applies to all types, I don't know. What applies to one type may not apply to another.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

EPR wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:04 pm So I'm not the only one that cringes every time I watch those x-wind landings that get posted to YouTube, you know the ones where the aircraft's land without ever having any x-wind correction at touchdown or even during their swerving roll-outs?
I'm told there's no need to kick-out the crab or even roll aileron into the wind with the heavies, but I also rarely see the turbo-props using proper x-wind techniques in these videos either, just seems wrong to me! Are these dramatic landings a product of never having learned the proper x-wind technique in the first place? :?
Yes - the Blind leading the Blind.

You land large jets the same way you land anything else - the basics of flying don't change with aircraft Type.

We've had this discussion on a different thread - crabbed landings without using the rudder to align the aircraft with the runway is poor technique imho.

It's part of the continual Dumbing Down of Aviation.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

You land large jets the same way you land anything else - the basics of flying don't change with aircraft Type.
It is incredible that so many pilots do not understand the basics of flying.

Any side ways drift on touch down produces a force sideways on the landing gear and thus the whole airplane, the more angle between the airplane heading and the runway the higher the sideways force.

Proper airplane handling will eliminate these forces so why land going sideways down the runway????

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:02 am
EPR wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:04 pm So I'm not the only one that cringes every time I watch those x-wind landings that get posted to YouTube, you know the ones where the aircraft's land without ever having any x-wind correction at touchdown or even during their swerving roll-outs?

We've had this discussion on a different thread - crabbed landings without using the rudder to align the aircraft with the runway is poor technique imho.

Ok, that's what I thought, but having never flown the big metal I didn't know for sure. I guess all those excruciatingly poor x-wind landings are a result of never learning the proper technique in the first place, which I find so surprising! :shock:

Keep the dirty side down.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

EPR wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:51 pm
Eric Janson wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:02 am

Ok, that's what I thought, but having never flown the big metal I didn't know for sure. I guess all those excruciatingly poor x-wind landings are a result of never learning the proper technique in the first place, which I find so surprising! :shock:
Why learn proper technique when you can start by flying big shiny metal......

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

fish4life wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:12 pm Heard a rumour it was the FO’s first landing, any truth to it?
It is true. Wonder if he is a new-hire as I heard some are going on the 777. Preliminary report here....

https://www.thb.gov.hk/aaia/doc/Aircraf ... (rev)e.pdf

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

deleted

Last edited by Sharklasers on Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Doesn't list the first officers experience. Could be a 2000 hr wonder new hire but who knows. Strange they touched down on the right main gear first with a left hand crosswind. Not the way I was taught to do crosswind landings.

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”