Air Tindi Flight Missing

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Air Tindi Flight Missing

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

Meatservo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:13 pm Illya Kuryakin, what are the three recent fatal accidents you are talking about? Other than this latest one, I can only think of the Caravan that crashed several years ago. You know, the one where the pilot was high on drugs. What's the third?
There was no recent third fatal accident, lllya kuryakin spreading more BS on this forum.
---------- ADS -----------

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Meatservo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:13 pm Illya Kuryakin, what are the three recent fatal accidents you are talking about? Other than this latest one, I can only think of the Caravan that crashed several years ago. You know, the one where the pilot was high on drugs. What's the third?
If you smoke and go fly 2 days later your blood work is going to come up as "high on drugs"...

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Has anyone seen a picture of how badly the airplane was damaged yet?

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

TheRealMcCoy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:21 pm
If you smoke and go fly 2 days later your blood work is going to come up as "high on drugs"...
That's not the impression I have:

From the TSB report

"Delta9-THC blood plasma concentrations in live subjects over 2 to 3 ng/ml have been shown to indicate marijuana smoking within 6 hours."

and

"Femoral blood contained 50.1 nanograms per millilitre (ng/ml) of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta9-THC), and 21.6 ng/ml of carboxy-THC. "

I'm surprised he could walk. The guy was so full of dope there must have been seeds and stems falling out from under his hat.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I would like to know what the third accident was.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Meatservo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:31 pm Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I would like to know what the third accident was.
There was that Caravan that had to put down on the lake a few years ago because it picked up so much ice that it couldn't fly anymore. That wasn't a fatal, though.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:33 pm
There was no recent third fatal accident, lllya kuryakin spreading more BS on this forum.
Pity you take it personally there, but was there not a Twin Otter accident not all that long ago. Caravan with the pilot doped out of his mind doesn’t speak volumes on company culture to you? Perhaps it should?
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:55 am
Roadrunnersmother wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:33 pm
Pity you take it personally there, but was there not a Twin Otter accident not all that long ago. Caravan with the pilot doped out of his mind doesn’t speak volumes on company culture to you? Perhaps it should?
Illya
I think you're confusing the Arctic Sunwest Twin Otter that crashed in yellowknife, not Tindi.

I guess I should write something here.
YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Maynard wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:03 am I think you're confusing the Arctic Sunwest Twin Otter that crashed in yellowknife, not Tindi.
Maynard's correct. The third Air Tindi accident over the last few years did not, fortunately, involve any fatalities:
http://bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repor ... 4w0181.asp

The Arctic Sunwest accident, for those interested, is covered here: http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-r ... 1w0144.asp

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Wrong airline. I’ll buy that. Hardly qualifies as “spreading BS ....”. That’s just the friendly avcanada way.

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
cjfly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cjfly »

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/ts ... -1.5117571

So they weren't below the minimum IFR altitude intentionally. Speculation was completely wrong.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

"According to Jeremy Warkentin, technical investigator for the TSB, one attitude indicator wasn't functioning when the flight took off, but the crew flew anyway. The second indicator failed 84 seconds before impact."

Oh geez

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

Did these guys have instrument ratings?
In the ground 84 seconds after no attitude indicators. Mind blowing they couldn't keep in air with rest of instrumentation.
Must be more to it than this. Basic altimeter and DG for straight and level in IMC will keep you alive.
Quite the training program this air tindi has.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

That’s extremely disappointing to read.
I once had a vacuum pump fail, the CP wanted me to fly it to a maintenance base after the sun had already gone down. I told him no and after several back and forth and threats of firing me, I still said no. He hung up on me, then phoned back and demanded I be airborne the second the sun was up.
I flew the next morning, day vmc and guess what, the other vacuum pump quit 10 mins into my flight, one might wonder what the odds of that happening are. Pretty good if the cause is plugged filters and not mechanical failure. Needless to say, I made sure the CP knew he tried to kill me the night before, didn’t change him at all though, had several more run ins with him.

To this topic, it’s been awhile, anyone know if this aircraft had vacuum instruments?

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:33 pm Did these guys have instrument ratings?
In the ground 84 seconds after no attitude indicators. Mind blowing they couldn't keep in air with rest of instrumentation.
Must be more to it than this. Basic altimeter and DG for straight and level in IMC will keep you alive.
Quite the training program this air tindi has.
I suspect when the AI fails in real life, it's a bit different from the instructor putting a post-it note over the AI. And the instrument rating flight test in Canada doesn't even test partial panel (although the IPC does).

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Sad to see this... Lost of both attitude indicator shouldn't lead an aircraft descend as a rocket to the ground...

It's a good reminder for all of us to challenge ourselves and keep asking us the question "What would I do if ..." while up there in the flight levels.

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

How is it possible for the training industry and the regulator to allow the industry to have gotten to the stage where something like this can happen, assuming of course the latest info is correct?

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

mbav8r wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:36 pm
To this topic, it’s been awhile, anyone know if this aircraft had vacuum instruments?
Rumour on the street is that the FO instruments were steam driven and the captain’s were efis displays. Given that rumour, it’s possible that when the captain’s display failed, they might have had NO instruments, or just the very minimum standby instruments.

The other rumour, that bothers me greatly, is that the FO instruments had been faulty for some time. Not “discovered on the taxi out” of the accident flight. Supposedly crews had been complaining (snagging?) about them, but obviously to no avail.

Wouldn’t shock me to have Tindi vilify the crew when they likely pushed them out the door. After all, who wants to call Ekati at 7am to cancel or delay their crew change flight?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Lost an inverter climbing out of YDF dusk departure many years back, passed control over to right seat guy while I got inverter 2 up and going. Can’t remember how long that took but wx was decent , however if the right seat vacuum AI was u/s with a low vis and ceiling departure possibly would have made a few interesting moments for sure. I am not speculating on this particular accident though.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

There but for the grace of God, go I.....trying to fly partial panel with instruments sort of working is difficult to the extreme. However this is why I am angry at TC that a 3rd AI, isn't required in SEIFR/MIFR airplanes in commercial service, and why they insist that we have a T+B, but I can'tput a G5 or equivalent with a battery backup.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”