How carefully do you check your fuse amperage

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

How carefully do you check your fuse amperage

Post by pelmet »

Using the specific aircraft type in this incident(which I have flown quite a bit long ago) or any of the GA aircraft I have flown with fuses, I would say I almost never checked the installed fuses for confirmation of proper amperages before flight, except for curiousity purposes on rare occasion. In this case, the pilot went flying with an aircraft that had the wrong amperage fuse for the generator. Just curious, at least on small aircraft, does anybody check their fuses(ie. the ones that are installed) for proper amps? Would it be a good idea for certain flights such as an IFR or night flight, first flight after maintenance, or perhaps a ferry flight over water? What spares do you like to have for fuses? I used to just check that a few fuses were available but not their amperage.

Thanks.

"C-GCBE, a privately operated Cessna 150F aircraft, was departing from Langley Regional (CYNJ), BC with a student pilot and an instructor on board. During the initial climb after the departure, the generator warning light illuminated, and the ammeter showed a discharge. The pilots turned off all electrics, except for the radio and the transponder, and reported the event to ATC. The aircraft returned at CYNJ for an uneventful landing. A 20 amps fuse installed in the generator position in the fuse panel had blown. The aircraft was factory-equipped with a 35 amps generator, and required a 35 amps fuse. The blown fuse was subsequently replaced with a 35 amps one."
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”