SR20 "Runway Excursion" at CYKZ (Buttonville)

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: SR20 "Runway Excursion" at CYKZ (Buttonville)

Post by A346Dude »

FlyGy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:38 pm Ooooooh. I get it. You ASSumed.

Apology accepted.
Not sure what your problem is. I asked a question, you didn't answer it, someone else did. Moving on.
---------- ADS -----------

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

A346Dude wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:52 pm Understood, I was thinking the plane ended up on the south side of 16th Ave. Thanks for the clarification.
If you would have bothered to actually read the article as you claim you did.

"The TSB said the plane went down around 2 p.m. Tuesday, and came to rest on an embankment on the north side of 16th Avenue, near Highway 404, a busy multi-lane highway."

Then maybe you wouldn't have been questioning those of us who actually did take the time to educate ourselves on the topic.
Not sure what your problem is
I have a problem with people who can't be bothered to do some research and, instead, question other posters who are trying to help by sharing the facts backed up by sources.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

"C-FACJ, a privately registered Cirrus SR20 aircraft, was rented by a commercially licensed pilot for
the purpose of building flight time. As the pilot had limited experience on this aircraft type, in
addition to no recent flying, the pilot hired an instructor to provide some training. The instructor was
a Class 1 instructor, and a Transport Canada accredited Pilot Examiner.

On 12 March 2019 at 1342 Eastern Daylight Time (EDT), the aircraft departed from Runway 33 at
Toronto/Buttonville Municipal (CYKZ), ON, with the commercial pilot and the instructor on board,
with the intention to conduct some circuits at CYKZ. The wind was light and variable, so the aircraft
joined the left downwind leg of the circuit for Runway 33, and planned for a touch-and-go.

At 1348 EDT on the initial touchdown, the aircraft bounced and full power was added to commence
the takeoff portion of the touch-and-go. The nose of the aircraft was raised, the aircraft became
briefly airborne, before returning to the surface abruptly. The nose was raised again, and the tail of
the aircraft struck the runway as the aircraft became airborne again, albeit briefly. As the aircraft
contacted the ground the third time, the outer right flap hinge and right wheel contacted the ground
outside of the runway surface laterally, approximately 1000 feet from the runway end. The nose
was raised again, and the aircraft continued the take-off roll.

As the aircraft left the runway surface longitudinally, still on the ground, it struck a 4 foot high fence,
located 60 feet from the runway end. Past this fence, the terrain slopes down toward 16th Avenue,
which crosses the departure path perpendicularly. The aircraft crossed 16th Avenue in the air, in a
right bank, and dragging the right wing tip. The aircraft passed directly in front of a tow truck that
was in the westbound lane, and the driver of the vehicle captured the event on dash-camera. North
of 16th Avenue, the terrain rises rapidly; the aircraft collided with the ground, and came to a stop
approximately 250 feet passed the end of Runway 33. The two occupants were wearing 4-point
safety belts and received no significant injuries. The aircraft received significant damage to the
wings, nose, tail, landing gear, and propeller.

The aircraft was equipped with an Avidyne FlightMax Entegra flight display that recorded engine
and GPS data. The unit recorded data at 10hz, or one data point every 6 seconds. This data was
acquired and analyzed by the TSB following the accident. It was noticed that, following the initial
touchdown on Runway 33, the engine RPM and manifold pressure increased to full, followed by a
significant reduction, and then a return to full. During the touch-and-go attempt, the recorded
ground speed steadily decreased from 61 kts at the initial touchdown point, to 52 kts shortly before
impact."

Looks like a botched go-around after a bounced landing. The Cirrus itself is not a demanding aircraft to land but bounces can happen in any aircraft. It would be interesting to know why the power was reduced after being set to full on the go-around attempt and the discussions/actions between the pilots at this time. I don't know if time is taken by the investigators at the TSB to interview the pilots. That could give better insight for people to understand why the accident happened.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

At what point did the instructor say, "I have control?" That's what I want to know.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

youhavecontrol wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:35 am At what point did the instructor say, "I have control?" That's what I want to know.
....and how much was that "limited experience" on type -- if that limited in either time on type or recent flying time -- why wouldn't a class 1 instructor insist on some upper airwork first before right into circuits?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

One can only guess at what happened. We can come up with theories that would end up being incorrect but not much else can be done.

It reminds me of a C152 accident a few years back at a school where I was flying that seriously injured a student pilot that I knew in Agua Dulce. There was a disagreement between the two pilots during the takeoff roll. In this case, neither was particularly experienced. At some point the pilot flying decided to abort after which the other pilot decided that it was better to continue. They ended up airborne at a slow airspeed and the original pilot decided to takeover again, lowered the nose to regain airspeed and but then contacted power lines and crashed. In that case, both pilots were relatively inexperienced.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Repor ... L&IType=LA

In the Cirrus case, it was inexperienced pilot with experienced instructor(at least in terms of total time). When I read the last paragraph of the TSB report where full power was added after the bounce, then was significantly reduced, it makes me wonder if one felt it best to go around, the other felt that the go-around shouldn't happen(for whatever reason) and then when things got out of hand, a second go-around decision was made and possibly not handled well(a tail and wing had already been struck so things were not being handled well).

Different scenarios but possible parallels.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”