Twin otter on the ice

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Twin otter on the ice

Post by Gannet167 »

402 has never operated Twin Otters.
---------- ADS -----------

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

440 Transport Squadron operates the CC-138 Twin Otter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/440_Transport_Squadron

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spandau »

440 Sqn runs wheel-skis every winter on at least one machine.

DashFiveGuy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DashFiveGuy »

CruiserNU wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:45 pm I remember that back in the day, 402 Squadron put their Twin Otters on wheel skis in the winter and floats in the summer. It's always seemed strange to me why they no longer do this - it's wheels year 'round. Supposed to be a Search and Rescue aircraft after all, but hey - what do I know?
In answer to your question, not much apparently.

As has been previously mentioned 402 Sqn has never operated the Twin Otter.

440 Sqn still does operate on wheel skis every winter (the incident aircraft in this thread was on wheel skis).

And lastly, while the RCAF Twin Otters can be used for Search and Rescue, 440 Sqn is NOT a "Search and Rescue" unit. They are a "Transport" squadron that can be tasked to assist in searches and can airdrop some rescue equipment if required but they do not have Search and Rescue technicians (SAR Techs) in the squadron so they don't have any real "rescue" capability other than providing supplies and equipment. Their primary role is light transport duties in support of Canadian Armed Forces operations in the North.

WileyCoyote
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WileyCoyote »

From my experience, I think we would be better served by contracting this service out to the northern operators that have the experience to do the job.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Thats your tax $$$ hard at work boys and girls. 25 technicians wow.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

This was my first thought when I watched the video. We spent $15M to recover a $2M Twin Otter.

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

I have seen pictures of station 60 were the nose is just about ripped off. Borek our Rocky Mountain air could have probably had it patched and ferried in 2 weeks with 3 our 4 guys.
WileyCoyote wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:51 am by WileyCoyote » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:51 am

From my experience, I think we would be better served by contracting this service out to the northern operators that have the experience to do the job.
Couldn't agree more. I know for a fact a few years ago they would hire the private sector to move people and what ever was needed into remote areas to open the air strips for their Twin otters and hercs. Not exactly sure what 440 roll is anymore. As someone said earlier they have no SARTEC in Yellowknife. So when it comes to search they can hire anyone to fly a grid. Note i didn't say rescue as i have never heard of the 440 Rescuing anyone with a Twin Otter.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

I can't believe they posted that video, and are proud of their "accomplishment".

Considering their track record, they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I have never been less impressed by anything in my entire life. What a goat-show. A Globemaster, three helicopters, dozens of men, millions of dollars,and three days- to accomplish what a civilian team could do with a second Twin otter, a tent, an engineer and an apprentice, some PK screws, angle irons and herc straps, and some cordless tools in an afternoon.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
frosti
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by frosti »

The techs from the vampire sqn have enough man-power and skills to fix that thing on-site, but the recovery was ordered by a team of officers in Winnipeg whom have likely never even seen a twin-otter in real life. That's the problem with the military, some fat guy in uniform with thick glasses has more authority than the people who work on the damn thing day-in day-out.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

What was the deal with the fish nets on the wing tips?

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Makeshift way of making sure the wing didn't try to fly while being slung? Looks like two pieces of 4x4 laying along the spar of each wing as well.

Mooney21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mooney21 »

These guys are being paid anyhow. They need the practice and they just won't be in the Mess at 1530 hrs as usual. :D

SheriffPatGarrett
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SheriffPatGarrett »

Man...De Hav...seem like going forward mean getting worse...

ABOUT GOING BACKWARD AND GETTING BETTER?

You'd hit a four feet snow bank, get your ass kicked but it did not bothered the Norseman at all!

Twotter, single Otter, Beaver, Cessna Caravan...always crash! NOT NORSEMAN...would just drive away!

NorsemanChimo.jpg
NorsemanChimo.jpg (154.69 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
Norseman-skiing.jpg
Norseman-skiing.jpg (132.36 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
In the Scandinavian peninsula, the earliest evidence of skiing consists of a circa 5,000-year-old rock carving depicting a skier with one pole which can be found in the municipality of Rødøy, pertaining to Nordland county, in the north of the country.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Mooney21 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:54 pm These guys are being paid anyhow. They need the practice and they just won't be in the Mess at 1530 hrs as usual. :D
Gotta train for this kind of stuff anyways, may as well do it in a practical situation. The gas in those copters and Globemaster were already scheduled to be burned too, may as well do this instead of circuits in Moose Knuckle or whatever.
co-joe wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:20 pm What was the deal with the fish nets on the wing tips?
Makes it sexy.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Makes it sexy.
Is it possible to make a Twin Otter more sexy?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

PilotDAR wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:14 pm
Makes it sexy.
Is it possible to make a Twin Otter more sexy?
I would put up a collage of places where fishnets offer an improvement, but if I'm going to be banned it will be for something more epic than that.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

In my experience, working with contractors often result in loss of operational capability.

Going for the deck at corner

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”