There will probably be damage from striking a large bird

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

There will probably be damage from striking a large bird

Post by pelmet »

Had a flight out of a west coast at my company recently strike a bird near rotation. Apparently the crew smelled the cooked bird and followed the engine out procedure. Dumped fuel and returned for landing. Engine was changed. I got some pics from the local maintenance guy and there was definitely damage to the fan.

This incident sounds similar. Big bang, some yaw, almost guaranteed to be damage even if nothing is displayed. You might get stuck at a remote destination if you continue to destination.......

"C-FMWP, a Boeing 767-300 aircraft operated by Air Canada rouge, was conducting flight
ROU1712 from Toronto/Lester B. Pearson Intl (CYYZ), ON to Punta Cana Intl (MDPC), Dominican
Republic with 8 crew members and 280 passengers on board. During the takeoff roll on Runway
23 at CYYZ, the aircraft struck a bird. The flight crew reported observing a large bird, hearing a
loud bang, and a slight adverse yaw was detected, however engine parameters were normal;
therefore, the takeoff was continued. Following a brief level off at 5000' ASL to evaluate the
situation, the decision was made to continue the flight in the absence of abnormal parameters.
During cruise flight at FL330, the flight crew noticed increasing vibrations on the left engine, and
elected to return to CYYZ as a precaution. The aircraft landed overweight without further incident.
The operator’s maintenance inspected the left engine and, based on the extent of the damage,
elected to replace it."
---------- ADS -----------

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: There will probably be damage from striking a large bird

Post by daedalusx »

Smart. Thumbs up for the crews.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

You fly for rouge? Jesus. I honestly wondered if you were even a pilot.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

We saw a large bird, heard a loud bang, and felt some yaw, no big deal, let's continue on to that 3rd world country on a little island.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

jakeandelwood wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:26 pm let's continue on to that 3rd world country on a little island.
This time of year I'd be alright with getting stuck there.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”