Colombian authorities have disclosed that none of the 14 occupants of a Douglas DC-3 have survived

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

SheriffPatGarrett
Rank 4
Rank 4

Colombian authorities have disclosed that none of the 14 occupants of a Douglas DC-3 have survived

Post by SheriffPatGarrett »

Colombian authorities have disclosed that none of the 14 occupants of a Douglas DC-3 have survived after the aircraft crashed during a domestic service to Villavicencio.

The aircraft, which departed San Jose del Guaviare on 9 March, declared an emergency at around 10:40, states the Colombian aviation regulator Aeronautica Civil.

It says the aircraft – operated by Latinoamericana de Servicios Aereo, also known as Laser Aereo – was located in a village named La Bendicion, close to its destination.

“According to information provided by the rescue agencies that arrives in the area, there are no survivors,” the authority states.

It has issued a manifest which lists 14 occupants, including two pilots and a technical member.

The authority has not confirmed the circumstances which prompted the distress call. Meteorological data for Villavicencio airport at the time did not indicate any adverse weather conditions.

Aeronautica Civil identifies the airframe as being registered HK-2494. Its official registry states that the aircraft bears serial number 99826 and is configured for 20 passengers.
ScreenHunter_1436 Apr. 11 20.30.jpg
ScreenHunter_1436 Apr. 11 20.30.jpg (32.93 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
Provisional information indicates the airframe was originally manufactured in 1945, with subsequent operators including Sadelca.

Aeronautica Civil says the aircraft had “valid certifications” for airworthiness, and its crew had valid licences and medical certificates.
---------- ADS -----------

SheriffPatGarrett
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Colombian authorities have disclosed that none of the 14 occupants of a Douglas DC-3 have survived

(I used to fly to Colombia every weeks, so I was following the old diesel three...but those in the north in old days)

The Douglas DC-3 twin-prop aircraft is the “workhorse of the Colombian Amazon” connecting remote communities with departmental capitals. On Saturday, a tragedy involving one of these aircraft, built during the 1930s, claimed the lives of all 14 onboard after it crashed just 70 kilometers from its destination.

On what was supposed to be a routine flight between San José del Guaviare and Villavicencio, the plane operated by Latin American Air Services Company (Laser), experienced a left engine failure along the 280 kilometer route, and as it was flying at a low altitude of 10,000 feet, the pilots attempted an emergency landing in a palm plantation, before hitting a dirt track and exploding into flames.

According to Colombia’s Civil Aviation entity – Aeronáutica Civil – the pilots of the DC-3 reported the engine failure as they were on their approach to Villavicencio’s regional airport, and asked the control tower for help to locate alternative landing strips. The last contact between the crew and control tower indicates the plane was in descent toward a flat open area to lower its wheel carriage; but minutes later, communication was lost.

Workers of the African palm plantation and the inhabitants of the rural town of San Martín arrived at the crash site to help, but no survivors were found in the wreckage. Among the victims who have been identified by Medicina Legal are the mayor of the Amazonian town of Taraira, Doris Lizet Villegas; her daughter Catalina Araque, pilots Jaime Carrillo and Jaime Eduardo Herrera; singer Manuel Tiberio Mejía and passenger Santa Romelia Ibargúen.

The DC-3 revolutionized air travel during the 1930s by connecting cities along the East Coast of the United States with the West, and the first commercial airlines, including TWA and American Airlines, purchased the fixed-wing plane to open up new routes.

A flight from New York to Los Angeles required the DC-3 to stop three times for refueling and lasted 10 hours. The plane was so in demand that by the mid-1940s, of the 300 civilian aircraft in service, 275 were built by the Douglas Aircraft Company (DC). During World War II the plane was adapted for military use with a metal hull wide enough for fully armed paratroopers, wounded troops and crates of medical supplies.

Pilots, both military and civilian, loved the DC-3 describing it as characteristically “smooth” on take-off and landing, cruising comfortably at an average speed of 300 kilometers per hour. When production of the DC-3 ended in 1945 more than 13,000 of them had been built. As commercial air travel was replaced by turbines and planes that could connect continents without having to refuel, many of these iconic machines were sent to parts of the world to introduce air travel and became a lifeline for remote communities.

The DC-3 still flies every day across Colombia, mostly in the Amazon and Orinoco regions, some used only for freight, others still as passenger aircraft. A later version of the plane, the DC-4, is used by the country’s National Police to transport personnel to jungle outposts and is equipped with surveillance technology for detecting coca laboratories.

The crash of Laser’s DC-3 on Saturday is the worst air accident in Colombia since November 28, 2016, when a British-made Avro RJ85 transporting the Brazilian football team Chapecoense crashed into the Cerro Gordo mountain, near La Unión (Antioquia) killing 71 of 77 passengers. The charter flight departed from the Viru Viru international airport in the city of Santa Cruz de la Sierra (Bolivia) and was headed to Medellín where the team was to contest a final match against locals Atlético Nacional in the Copa Sudamericana league.

With an almost 80-year safety record, during the last 24 in Colombia, 16 DC-3s have crashed: 15 in the Eastern Plains and one in Antioquia. The tragedy that claimed the lives of 14 passengers has now put the DC-3 under scrutiny by Colombia’s civil aviation authorities, and its days of air-worthiness may be numbered.

If the DC-3 is pulled from service in Colombia, the real challenge for thousands who inhabit La Chorrera, La Macarena, Taraira, as well as so many other small towns, is how to stay connected to a country where in their regions there are no roads and most transport is by river.

Diesel three is the only to go in Colombia...very few C-46 are left...If any one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHLuyYFdwOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ajIDftnJI

(Only if you have steel stomach...they all burned alive)
Removed link - admin

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Colombian authorities have disclosed that none of the 14 occupants of a Douglas DC-3 have survived

Post by geodoc »

The daredevil pilots of Colombia

https://youtu.be/ZBoJqfXJjNs

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

What a shame. Sorry to hear this.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
SheriffPatGarrett
Rank 4
Rank 4

I seen the "dare devil" diesel three have a radar for them...maybe they may survive...
I flew car parts in the USA with out radar in the DC-3 and I can tell you
you will shit in storm with both engines to quit at time, the windshield pour water inside like in a shower and flying in lightning sparks so bright it was like is daylight at night...At the time, a lot the planes crashed in tornadoes...

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

I used to fly at Villavincencio. Actually just across the river a little ways away. It's definitely the wet season on the amazon basin this time of year. Some of the mid-afternoon storms can pack a real punch.
It amazed me that some Colombian airlines were still running DC-3's at the time. Nearly everyone other than Buffalo has moved on.
Condolences to the families of those affected.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Canada's not that much better. Tons of DC-3s ripping around NW Ontario too. Granted they've got a PT6, but still.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

DC-3's aren't really used for regular scheduled service here. Basler conversions are not so bad to keep using the airframe. Faster and way more reliable. Just try watching Ice Pilots. Nearly every episode has at least one engine failure in it.

A little bit of thread drift here but I remember being woken up several times by the Colombian Air Force out with their Basler converted gunship. The mini-gun kept setting off car alarms on the base. It was worth getting out of bed to watch.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

So am I to take it the DC3 is a dangerous machine to fly?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

put the DC-3 under scrutiny by Colombia’s civil aviation authorities, and its days of air-worthiness may be numbered.
As Arnie mentions, I hope that the Colombian authority doesn't tell the air force/police this!

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

C.W.E. wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:36 pm So am I to take it the DC3 is a dangerous machine to fly?
I'm not saying that it is dangerous to fly a DC-3. It's probably safer than walking through the Amazon basin. What I am saying that there are safer engine technologies out there.

A 1980 Volvo 240 was marketed as a safe car. Are you going to tell me that a1980 Volvo is just as safe as a 2019 Volvo V60 (with Lane Departure warnings, Active Cruise Control, Traction Control, crumple zones, rear seat shoulder belts)?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

A 1980 Volvo 240 was marketed as a safe car. Are you going to tell me that a1980 Volvo is just as safe as a 2019 Volvo V60 (with Lane Departure warnings, Active Cruise Control, Traction Control, crumple zones, rear seat shoulder belts)?
No that was not what I was saying.

What I was pointing out was properly flown the DC3 was a very safe airplane, of course as time passes technology improves and turbines replaced piston engines.

Of course there is still the problem of making airplanes pilot proof as Boeing is finding out.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Don't forget "properly maintained"
goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:22 am Canada's not that much better. Tons of DC-3s ripping around NW Ontario too. Granted they've got a PT6, but still.
aBasler are way ahead of any original 3 duck tapped over a thousand times :wink:

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Arnie Pye wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:12 pm
C.W.E. wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:36 pm So am I to take it the DC3 is a dangerous machine to fly?
I'm not saying that it is dangerous to fly a DC-3. It's probably safer than walking through the Amazon basin. What I am saying that there are safer engine technologies out there.

On the other hand I imagine a 1969 Chrysler is safer than many of the cars made today, even without all that junk mentioned above to make the car idiot proof.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Well of all the airplanes I flew for a living the DC3 was the nicest to fly and it was superb for off airport operations.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

jakeandelwood wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:23 am
Arnie Pye wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:12 pm

On the other hand I imagine a 1969 Chrysler is safer than many of the cars made today, even without all that junk mentioned above to make the car idiot proof.
Not a chance. Low yield steel, no crumple zones, lap belts only, no head rests, solid steering column, no roof strength.

Not to mention all of the liabilities which would make it all the more likely to get into an accident in the first place... heavy weight and live axles and leaf springs and drum brakes and bias ply tires.

By the time any electronic nannies are doing anything in a modern car, you’re already dead in the 1960s car.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

I have a funny feeling that even the mighty DC3 needs just a wee bit of maintaining even if it is flown by the best pilot on this forum.

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I have a funny feeling that even the mighty DC3 needs just a wee bit of maintaining even if it is flown by the best pilot on this forum.
For sure it needs lots of maintaining because it is old technology and has been around for many decades, hell it had been around for 33 years when I first got my type rating on it in 1968.

What transport category airplane is better for operating off airports such ase on logging roads, arctic eskers, frozen lakes, snow, sand beaches etc?

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

C.W.E. wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:07 pm What transport category airplane is better for operating off airports such ase on logging roads, arctic eskers, frozen lakes, snow, sand beaches etc?
DHC-5

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Donald wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:15 pm
C.W.E. wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:07 pm What transport category airplane is better for operating off airports such ase on logging roads, arctic eskers, frozen lakes, snow, sand beaches etc?
DHC-5
Or the DHC4 Caribou, fair number sitting at Penn...shame really

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”