Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2131
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:34 am
Location: Canada

Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Donald » Fri May 03, 2019 11:52 am

Initial reports are engine failure, attempted return, aircraft written off, 2 crew only with no fatalities.

https://cabinradio.ca/15623/news/south- ... e-failure/
---------- ADS -----------
  

igorcanuck
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by igorcanuck » Fri May 03, 2019 2:07 pm

Well, I guess they will have season 2 of "plane savers".
---------- ADS -----------
  

Yycjetdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Yycjetdriver » Fri May 03, 2019 2:18 pm

igorcanuck wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:07 pm
Well, I guess they will have season 2 of "plane savers".
:lol:
---------- ADS -----------
  

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1075
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by C.W.E. » Fri May 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Interesting.




I wonder what the all up take off weight was?
---------- ADS -----------
  

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2131
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:34 am
Location: Canada

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Donald » Fri May 03, 2019 2:40 pm

http://avherald.com/h?article=4c77bb59&opt=0

A Buffalo Airways Douglas C-47A Skytrain (DC-3), registration C-GJKM performing flight J4-169 from Hay River,NT to Yellowknife,NT (Canada) with 2 crew, was enroute about 20 minutes into the 55 minutes flight when the right hand engine failed. The crew attempted to return to Hay River, however, had to perform a forced landing in open terrain around about 08:00L (14:00Z). The crew remained uninjured, the status of the aircraft is currently unknown (unverified preliminary information suggests the aircraft received damage beyond repair).

The Canadian TSB is looking into the occurrence to decide whether to deploy investigators on site.

The airline reported the cause was a mechanical fault, both crew are safe.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by TheRealMcCoy » Fri May 03, 2019 3:36 pm

C.W.E. wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:26 pm
I wonder what the all up take off weight was?
Heavy is my guess
---------- ADS -----------
  

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1075
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by C.W.E. » Fri May 03, 2019 3:48 pm

Heavy is my guess
At the density altitude Yellowknife would be this time of year a properly loaded properly maintained and properly flown DC3 should be able to return to the airport.
---------- ADS -----------
  

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:22 pm

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by phillyfan » Fri May 03, 2019 4:19 pm

The shame is that idiot, armchair pilots use the reporting of idiot, media sources to formulate their idiotic conclusions.
This will no doubt get the Avcanada mouthpieces horned up.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:15 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Hilroy » Fri May 03, 2019 6:46 pm

No pictures?
---------- ADS -----------
  
Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:14 pm
Location: The Gulag Archipelago

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Illya Kuryakin » Fri May 03, 2019 9:02 pm

The DC3 is an old beast. Some fly better than others. I've brought back more than a couple on the far side of gross after one went south. More memorable were the three I couldn't fly home. Two I was able to constantly descend onto strips.....but not the ones I wanted to land at. Neither would stay in the air. The third had about 1500 pounds on board (2 14 foot aluminium boats and 2 15 hp outboards) in other words empty! The performance levels we expect from the manuals were reasonable expectations in 1940.
Cheers
Illya
---------- ADS -----------
  
Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 404
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:32 am

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Victory » Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 am

Is Transport letting them put passengers on these relics or is it strictly freight? Seems like every time there's an engine failure they can't maintain altitude. Unless there's a lot of engine failures we don't hear of.
---------- ADS -----------
  

GoinVertical
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by GoinVertical » Sat May 04, 2019 4:20 am

Victory wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 am
Is Transport letting them put passengers on these relics or is it strictly freight? Seems like every time there's an engine failure they can't maintain altitude. Unless there's a lot of engine failures we don't hear of.
Great question. Is there some sort of exemption to the single engine climb gradient reg due to their certification date? Grandfathered in?

If not, are there any provisions anywhere to ensure ancient aircraft are getting anywhere close to published performance figures? I'd be curious to see how even some old, high-cycle Dash's and 1900's do after being beat around northern strips for the last 20 years...
---------- ADS -----------
  

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:59 pm

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by shimmydampner » Sat May 04, 2019 4:53 am

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:02 pm
The DC3 is an old beast. Some fly better than others. I've brought back more than a couple on the far side of gross after one went south. More memorable were the three I couldn't fly home. Two I was able to constantly descend onto strips.....but not the ones I wanted to land at. Neither would stay in the air. The third had about 1500 pounds on board (2 14 foot aluminium boats and 2 15 hp outboards) in other words empty! The performance levels we expect from the manuals were reasonable expectations in 1940.
Cheers
Illya
What, this time there will be no making baseless assumptions about the actions and decisions of the crew and how foolish they were? No publicly excoriating the pilots?
---------- ADS -----------
  

mbav8r
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:11 am
Location: Manitoba

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by mbav8r » Sat May 04, 2019 5:31 am

I think they ran out of fuel, first one quit, then shortly after the other.
Instead of declaring a fuel leak, the used the ass covering excuse, the old plane just couldn’t maintain altitude on one.
Of course, this is all in jest because I have no idea what happened
---------- ADS -----------
  
"Stand-by, I'm inverted"

User avatar
Daniel Cooper
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:38 am
Location: Unknown

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Daniel Cooper » Sat May 04, 2019 5:49 am

GoinVertical wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:20 am
Victory wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 am
Is Transport letting them put passengers on these relics or is it strictly freight? Seems like every time there's an engine failure they can't maintain altitude. Unless there's a lot of engine failures we don't hear of.
Great question. Is there some sort of exemption to the single engine climb gradient reg due to their certification date? Grandfathered in?

If not, are there any provisions anywhere to ensure ancient aircraft are getting anywhere close to published performance figures? I'd be curious to see how even some old, high-cycle Dash's and 1900's do after being beat around northern strips for the last 20 years...
It's probably less of an issue for turbine powered aircraft since the engines are flat rated and have torque gauges. The props could be a different story. I've seen some 748 props that look like steak knives.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2131
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:34 am
Location: Canada

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Donald » Sat May 04, 2019 6:30 am

C.W.E. wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:48 pm
At the density altitude Yellowknife would be this time of year a properly loaded properly maintained and properly flown DC3 should be able to return to the airport.
Given Buffalo’s history, I’d wager at least 2 of those weren’t done “properly”.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Rooster69
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:06 am

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Rooster69 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:42 am

phillyfan wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:19 pm
The shame is that idiot, armchair pilots use the reporting of idiot, media sources to formulate their idiotic conclusions.
This will no doubt get the Avcanada mouthpieces horned up.

Amen!
---------- ADS -----------
  

Mick G
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:21 pm

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Mick G » Sat May 04, 2019 7:19 am

Do we know who the pilots are?
---------- ADS -----------
  

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Straight outta Dundarave...

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by North Shore » Sat May 04, 2019 10:30 am

Sum Ting Wong, and Ho Lee Fuk?

Does it really matter? They’re alive, and will live to fly another day..
Say it comes out now that it was John Smith, and Fred Jones, and the narrative is that ‘they f@cked up, and wrecked a plane’ - a label that would stick with you for the rest of your career - and then later the report shows that they did the best they could with a mechanical fault. No-one would give them credit for that... as the saying goes, have sex with a thousand women, but suck...etc...
---------- ADS -----------
  
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

jakeandelwood
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:45 pm

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by jakeandelwood » Sat May 04, 2019 11:40 am

North Shore wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:30 am
Sum Ting Wong, and Ho Lee Fuk?
:lol:
---------- ADS -----------
  

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:14 pm
Location: The Gulag Archipelago

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Illya Kuryakin » Sun May 05, 2019 7:02 pm

mbav8r and shimmy......dinner for two at the KEG says you don’t have DC3 on your tickets.
Nothing to ad?
Happy everyone is okay.
Cheers
Illya
---------- ADS -----------
  
Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1075
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by C.W.E. » Sun May 05, 2019 7:09 pm

mbav8r and shimmy......dinner for two at the KEG says you don’t have DC3 on your tickets.
Nothing to ad?


And I'll buy the drinks.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Aux1
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:39 am

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Aux1 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:41 pm

Glad the crew is ok. Sad to hear about JKM... She was a grand lady, and a pleasure to fly.
---------- ADS -----------
  

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:59 pm

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by shimmydampner » Sun May 05, 2019 8:27 pm

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:02 pm
mbav8r and shimmy......dinner for two at the KEG says you don’t have DC3 on your tickets.
Nothing to ad?
Happy everyone is okay.
Cheers
Illya
C.W.E. wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:09 pm
And I'll buy the drinks.
Sounds good. What time do I need to get you two adorable old codgers back to the seniors home and how many glasses of prune juice before I should cut you off? While you're gumming your cream of wheat and buying me drinks you can share your thoughts on what happened to cause this airplane to not maintain altitude on one engine and how badly the crew should be dragged through the mud. I have some guesses, but I've never flown a DC3. As always, I look forward to your analysis. I hope it's as spot on as your Tindi conclusion.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:14 pm
Location: The Gulag Archipelago

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Illya Kuryakin » Mon May 06, 2019 1:39 pm

shimmydampner wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:27 pm
Illya Kuryakin wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:02 pm
mbav8r and shimmy......dinner for two at the KEG says you don’t have DC3 on your tickets.
Nothing to ad?
Happy everyone is okay.
Cheers
Illya
C.W.E. wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:09 pm
And I'll buy the drinks.
Sounds good. What time do I need to get you two adorable old codgers back to the seniors home and how many glasses of prune juice before I should cut you off? While you're gumming your cream of wheat and buying me drinks you can share your thoughts on what happened to cause this airplane to not maintain altitude on one engine and how badly the crew should be dragged through the mud. I have some guesses, but I've never flown a DC3. As always, I look forward to your analysis. I hope it's as spot on as your Tindi conclusion.
Already gave you my take on the DC3 affair....of course, you’d have to be at least semi literate to read it.
Instead of taking shots at me, share some of your grade 6 wisdom. You really think a fuel leak caused two simultaneous PT6 failures? And you’re obviously not bright enough to see the folly in departing with a failed HSI? Obviously into IMC?
---------- ADS -----------
  
Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.

Post Reply

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”