Sukhoi Superjet on fire Moscow

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Sukhoi Superjet on fire Moscow

Post by Braun »

---------- ADS -----------

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Sukhoi Superjet on fire Moscow

Post by Braun »

edit

Last edited by Braun on Sun May 05, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

unfortunately the total as of now is 13 dead (two children) and at least 7 injured.... From the preliminary reports, the jet (engine) was hit by lightning and started the fire. It was returning to land ...

My condolences to the families.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

That's some delayed response by CFR :shock:

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

Braun wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:58 pm https://twitter.com/tompodolec/status/1 ... 33505?s=21

That is insane.
Wow. Thank for sharing that video.

Apparently now the death toll is over 40.

YBW-Kid
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YBW-Kid »

Once again video showing people running away from the burning aircraft on the tarmac clutching their carry on bags. I sure hope nobody died because of the time those survivors used pulling bags from the overhead bins.

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

YBW-Kid wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm Once again video showing people running away from the burning aircraft on the tarmac clutching their carry on bags. I sure hope nobody died because of the time those survivors used pulling bags from the overhead bins.
I always sit by exit and plan on taking time to take my bags off if ever in similar situation. Maybe if agencies etc would make replacing items as easy as a phone call I wouldn't care to lose anything. I look after myself 1st. I could care less if someone not smart enough to sit by exit doesn't make it out. Less idiots, the better society is.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:43 pm
YBW-Kid wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm Once again video showing people running away from the burning aircraft on the tarmac clutching their carry on bags. I sure hope nobody died because of the time those survivors used pulling bags from the overhead bins.
I always sit by exit and plan on taking time to take my bags off if ever in similar situation. Maybe if agencies etc would make replacing items as easy as a phone call I wouldn't care to lose anything. I look after myself 1st. I could care less if someone not smart enough to sit by exit doesn't make it out. Less idiots, the better society is.
Annnnnnnnnnnnnndddd he’s back..

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Inside cabin footage here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwTpGLK ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYizjxuUiEM

And now for advice on evacuating in a situation like this(being in the back of the aircraft with major fire outside all around while still moving). If you are in the rear.....

...you are where people are going to die, just like the British Airtours 737 in Manchester with the engine fire The rear exits cannot be used due to flames and there is a huge traffic jam with panicky people blocking any movement.

There are no guarantees, but you start your evacuation during the rollout if you see flames like this. Everyone else will be sitting, frozen in fear while the aircraft is decelerating. Once it stops, it almost everyone will get up, jam up, and you are stuck. So while the aircraft is still moving, release your seat belt, climb over people as required, run forward out of the external fire zone which will soon be the internal smoke zone.

Of course, maybe you will die because you released your seatbelt and there was a sudden stop and everyone else survives, no guarantees.

By the way, if during a critical fire situation like this where it is obvious that seconds count), you encounter someone blocking you as they try to get their overhead baggage, hit them in the face as hard as you can with all your adrenaline strength, so they fall down and let them get trampled instead of them killing you and others by delaying evacuation.

That's my plan anyways. Feel free to remain seated until the evac alarm sounds, it keeps the aisle clear for me.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:15 pm Inside cabin footage here....

And now for advice on evacuating in a situation like this(being in the back of the aircraft with major fire outside all around while still moving). If you are in the rear.....

...you are where people are going to die, just like the British Airtours 737 in Manchester with the engine fire The rear exits cannot be used due to flames and there is a huge traffic jam with panicky people blocking any movement.

There are no guarantees, but you start your evacuation during the rollout if you see flames like this. Everyone else will be sitting, frozen in fear while the aircraft is decelerating. Once it stops, it almost everyone will get up, jam up, and you are stuck. So while the aircraft is still moving, release your seat belt, climb over people as required, run forward out of the external fire zone which will soon be the internal smoke zone.

Of course, maybe you will die because you released your seatbelt and there was a sudden stop and everyone else survives, no guarantees.

By the way, if during a critical fire situation like this where it is obvious that seconds count), you encounter someone blocking you as they try to get their overhead baggage, hit them in the face as hard as you can with all your adrenaline strength, so they fall down and let them get trampled instead of them killing you and others by delaying evacuation.

That's my plan anyways. Feel free to remain seated until the evac alarm sounds, it keeps the aisle clear for me.
I'm guessing if this accident happened in Canada, there is no way you'd post this callous post right after multiple people were burned alive. Too bad for them, right?

This is why I have zero respect for you. Cold, poor taste and timing, regardless of the point about people stupidly getting their carry on bag. Yeah. We get it.

This isn't educational. Doesn't help Crew with how to better handle an in flight fire.

And before you whine to the mods --- again ---

If the mods want to ban me for saying this, go right ahead.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sun May 05, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

It should be a crime to evacuate an aircraft with a bag. If you are caught evacuating with carry on, you should get a hefty fine or jail time. (And other passengers should beat you) Regardless of it it’s enforceable, it would bring prominence to the issue. At least people would know they’re not suppose to. In a similar way, when I’ve driven in areas where signs are posted telling drivers that there’s a fine for driving in the left lane, less people loiter there obstructing faster traffic. Few people are actually ticketed but everyone is aware and are more courteous with left lane discipline.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:43 pm
Jesus, are you for real? Unfortunately not every passenger can be seated by an exit. The next thing you'd be doing is a faceplant in the aisle after you retrieved your bag.

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

If I'm ever involved in an evacuation I'm going to leave my carry on behind so I don't look like an as shat on the news.

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

Roadrunner is a troll. The less we feed it with responses, the better for the forum.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

pelmet wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:15 pm Inside cabin footage here....

Wow. I have no words Pelmet.

That’s ah... no words.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:34 pm
Wow. I have no words Pelmet.

That’s ah... no words.
I have him blocked for just such reasons.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/05/worl ... -fire.html

“Right in front of our eyes, we saw an airplane on fire streaking down the runway,” Ms. Osokina, who was in an airport restaurant, told Dozhd television.

It was in the grips of flames,” she said. “Flames were devouring it every second,” she said.

Kommersant FM, a radio station, posted a cellphone video taken by a passenger on the airplane as it landed that showed a scene of panic and terror. It showed a burning engine and flames at times obscuring the entire window. As smoke starts to fill the cabin, one woman screams. Another yells, “Help! Help!”

2 children were among the dead.

---------

How horrifying. I flew on Aeroflot just last year. Only words I have are overwhelming sympathy.

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

from the videos it appears they bounced so hard that the gear failed and both wing fuel tanks were breached.Most aircraft have fuse pins at the gear attach points specifically to prevent this type of event. Horrific.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”