What do you do after landing long in a floatplane

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: What do you do after landing long in a floatplane

Post by PilotDAR »

Following an 80 year old manual word for word that was written when the airplane had less then 100 hours of test pilot time on it, is idiotic.
Hmmm, at what age do flight manual supplements I wrote, and are approved by TC, transition from being approved and authoritative, to being idiotic? Perhaps I'll revise them before that age!
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

J31 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:03 pm
digits_ wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:38 pm
CLguy wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:08 pm hold the controls full nose up after touching down on the water until reaching taxi speed.

Let me know how that technique works out for you when you’re landing in 4 foot swells in the Indian Ocean on a daily basis.
If you need short field techniques for a landing in the Indian Ocean, you are doing something seriously wrong though.
digits, I am trying to see where you are going with that comment?
It was a joke. Needing short field techniques to land in an area that's 70 million square km big. You have to admit it sounds a bit funny if you look at the numbers.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

digits_ wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:27 am
J31 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:03 pm
digits_ wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:38 pm

If you need short field techniques for a landing in the Indian Ocean, you are doing something seriously wrong though.
digits, I am trying to see where you are going with that comment?
It was a joke. Needing short field techniques to land in an area that's 70 million square km big. You have to admit it sounds a bit funny if you look at the numbers.
:smt040

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

It must be nice to fly in an area where your cruise speed is lower than your V1 :mrgreen:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

digits_ wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:27 amYou have to admit it sounds a bit funny if you look at the numbers.
Only if you don't know what you're talking about.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Who here has operated in and out of Ahousat? Who has flown a 180 or Beaver in there?

Its a unique spot. There are basically two good spots/markers that would have me going around or looking for a quick option to slow down. Even on a few dozen blustery and particularly sporting days over the years, I still didn't seem to have an issue operating there. I'm also by no means a god of aviating on pontoons either. The pilots at TA go in and out of Ahousat about a billion times, so it sort of surprises me.. but perhaps in this current pilot climate, they were short on experience? Pretty sure the 180's were on Edo's.. I mostly flew the -2 there though and it's been a while.

I like that we're discussing the twin otters traits operating in the indian ocean in a thread on a Cessna accident on the west coast of vancouver island :rolleyes:

When I flew the twotter it was common practice to push stick full forward and use reverse upon touchdown. On Caps, if you pulled BACK you'd be hopping,skipping and bouncing along off the heels. There are also many spots in the 'dives that require short field technique inside of lagoons. I'd say Shimmydampner is spot on

Dragging the heels works in a conventional seaplane but only to a certain extent. You could also dump the lift quickly to help. I've seen many come forward on the floats just prior to digging to help slow as well. I'm not advocating it though.

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

This technique does not need a lot of training. Here is what you do. On a nice day when you land and are first on the step just push forward on the column very gently just enough to feel extra drag. Now you know how it works. Next time just add a bit more pressure until you feel increased float drag. As the plane slows down add a bit more pressure. Especially in the larger float planes with longer floats. Works in any float plane but the smaller the plane the shorter the float so the more sensitive. You will find with experience just how gentle or aggressive you can be. On a different skill matter, if you have to take off in a substantial crosswind and the plane starts to weathercock as you get on the step and the rudder does not respond, pull the column all the way back. When the stern of the floats hit the water it will straighten you immediately.

Bob

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I was always taught to push :smt040

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

A real professional knows when to pull out.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:11 pm Well to answer my dear friend Pelmet’s question...

One stuffs another wad of crew into their cheek and taxies back past the dock they intended to land by under the guise of “landed long on purpose to cool the engine”.

Seriously Pelmet, you’re a piece of work.
Amazing......ten guys respond with thoughtful analysis(much appreciated by the way) and one person gives his usual type of response. Definitely vindicates me when it comes to a previous discussion we had.

Anyways, this guy landed long and hit a log.....

"C-FGQC, a DHC-2 aircraft operated by Inland Air Charters, was conducting a flight from Dolphins
Lodge, BC to Seal Cove (CZSW), BC with a pilot and 4 passengers on board. On arrival to CZSW,
the pilot inspected the water landing area from overhead. On landing, the aircraft touched down
farther than expected and the aircraft collided with a log. There were no injuries. The operator's
maintenance inspected the aircraft and found no damage."

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”