North Star BT67 put down on lake

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: North Star BT67 put down on lake

Post by digits_ »

Would auto iginition or autofeather have made a difference if they shut off the fuel? Would it have helped during a restart?
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Plausibledeniability
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Plausibledeniability »

digits_ wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:13 am Would auto iginition or autofeather have made a difference if they shut off the fuel? Would it have helped during a restart?
My PT6 time is limited, but I’m pretty sure as soon as you pull the condition levers, an engine restart procedure is required, regardless of auto ignition being selected on or off.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

First using continuous ignition for take off is not sop and there is no auto ignition system as for auto feather how does that help for a dbl engine failure, the system is not designed to figure that one out.

The fuel was cut off just imagine the dramatic engine response if fuel was introduced with ignition on, could have been right back into dbl engine failure, nothing automatic, everything is done manually.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

North Shore wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:59 am Time of the accident was 0 dark 30...I'm thinking that fatigue had a bit to do with this...

AGREED

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

valleyboy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:08 pm First using continuous ignition for take off is not sop and there is no auto ignition system as for auto feather how does that help for a dbl engine failure, the system is not designed to figure that one out.

The fuel was cut off just imagine the dramatic engine response if fuel was introduced with ignition on, could have been right back into dbl engine failure, nothing automatic, everything is done manually.
Funny turbine SOP that doesn't have ignition on for takeoff? Every turbine I've ever flown (PT6, PW123, PW535) did...
Agreed, AutoFx wouldn't have helped, but it does point towards a rushed/missed checklist. Miss one thing, and you have to start asking what else was missed?

Fuel cutoff...nothing to be lost by re-introducing the fuel..perhaps they restart, perhaps not...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

I’ve always had continuous ignition on for takeoff on the types I’ve flown and it’s for things like this. So that if the engine flames out at a low altitude it can relight. Some types have auto ignition that’s on any time the aircraft is airborne. The FCU will schedule fuel based on N1 and P3 air but even if it’s sslow and low and both the primaries and secondaries throw a ton of fuel in better too much than too little. Better a hot section or even an overhaul rather than overload failed or thermally shocked junk with a very damaged aircraft.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

flyinhigh wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:55 am
North Shore wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:59 am Time of the accident was 0 dark 30...I'm thinking that fatigue had a bit to do with this...
AGREED
Yeah, but nobody cares about fatigue. Remember how hard industry lobbied that pilots aren't tired? TC even has the 2-stage implementation plan, because 703 and 704 pilots and their passengers are less important. God help the medevac pilots, they must be like batteries. Store them on the shelf at 100%, then (ab)use as needed.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Zaibatsu wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:57 am I’ve always had continuous ignition on for takeoff on the types I’ve flown and it’s for things like this. So that if the engine flames out at a low altitude it can relight. Some types have auto ignition that’s on any time the aircraft is airborne.
Engines other than the PT-6 are irrelevant.

Going from memory(so please correct if wrong).......the Twin Otter had a selection called MAN(for manual) which turned the ignition on. I only ever saw it used once and that was in turbulence. The Beech products I flew had an Auto selection that was always used which only came on if the torque decreased significantly to almost idle(400 foot-lbs if I remember correctly).

What does that mean....ignition was never on during takeoff for any of the aircraft I flew with PT-6 engines. So we shouldn't assume that everybody and every turbine uses ignition on for takeoff.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:19 am
flyinhigh wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:55 am
AGREED
Yeah, but nobody cares about fatigue. Remember how hard industry lobbied that pilots aren't tired? TC even has the 2-stage implementation plan, because 703 and 704 pilots and their passengers are less important. God help the medevac pilots, they must be like batteries. Store them on the shelf at 100%, then (ab)use as needed.
I can’t wait for the conservatives to come back to power.

Regular 17 hour duty days (24 for saving a life), 1 in 30, a bullshyat reset and take it or leave it so TFWs don’t take your jobs. All for the greater good of their donors.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Haha TFW would be better going back to their own countries where they have better flight and duty regs! Canada is bottom 3 in the world. Maybe I'll go with them.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

it's been a long while but I can't remember using manual ignition on the 2 otter for take off, nor the sanders nor the hawker or the cv64 as for the King Air 200 slips my mind as well but likely in auto.

BTW these guys had only been on duty for about 6 hours, it's up to the crew to ensure the rest, scheduling had no part in it.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by propfeather »

valleyboy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:21 pm it's been a long while but I can't remember using manual ignition on the 2 otter for take off, nor the sanders nor the hawker or the cv64 as for the King Air 200 slips my mind as well but likely in auto.

BTW these guys had only been on duty for about 6 hours, it's up to the crew to ensure the rest, scheduling had no part in it.
Manual continuous is only used in the twotter for heavy precip/icing. In the king air 200 the switches are armed from takeoff to landing but the continuous ignition is only on if the tq drops below ~400ft/lbs.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

It seems to me that the lack of use of ignition for takeoff is irrelevant as the report says they were too low to restart the engines anyways. Lack of autofeather arming seems irrelevant for this accident as well(I do remember the Twin Otter guys not arming the autofeather when I first started as there had been uncommanded autofeathers which can be dangerous).

As for fatigue, it can always be a problem but it sounds like the theory is that the F/O accidentally shut off the condition levers while operating the landing gear. It would have been interesting if the TSB had published what the pilots said they thought happened. Many NTSB final reports quote relevant statements by the pilots in the report and/or provide further information of what they said in what is known as a docket which is accessible by the public. I suggest the TSB create a similar docket for Canadian reports.

JL
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JL »

And how do you think the quality of the interviews will be if the interviewee knew that their statements or portions of their statements would be made public.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

pelmet wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:04 pm It seems to me that the lack of use of ignition for takeoff is irrelevant as the report says they were too low to restart the engines anyways. Lack of autofeather arming seems irrelevant for this accident as well(I do remember the Twin Otter guys not arming the autofeather when I first started as there had been uncommanded autofeathers which can be dangerous).

As for fatigue, it can always be a problem but it sounds like the theory is that the F/O accidentally shut off the condition levers while operating the landing gear. It would have been interesting if the TSB had published what the pilots said they thought happened. Many NTSB final reports quote relevant statements by the pilots in the report and/or provide further information of what they said in what is known as a docket which is accessible by the public. I suggest the TSB create a similar docket for Canadian reports.
According to the report it was the captain that was raising the gear and shut off the fuel.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

JL wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:29 pm And how do you think the quality of the interviews will be if the interviewee knew that their statements or portions of their statements would be made public.
Why don't you contact the NTSB for such information based on first hand experience.

However, seeing as that may not be a realistic thing to do, here is an example for you of the AC incident in SFO a few years back with details of the interviews with the captain and F/O. Of course it is quite extensive but it shows how it can be done effectively.

https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/61000-61499 ... 614632.pdf

Something for our TSB to consider.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

digits_ wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:55 pm
pelmet wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:04 pm It seems to me that the lack of use of ignition for takeoff is irrelevant as the report says they were too low to restart the engines anyways. Lack of autofeather arming seems irrelevant for this accident as well(I do remember the Twin Otter guys not arming the autofeather when I first started as there had been uncommanded autofeathers which can be dangerous).

According to the report it was the captain that was raising the gear and shut off the fuel.
Thanks for the correction.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

valleyboy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:21 pm BTW these guys had only been on duty for about 6 hours, it's up to the crew to ensure the rest, scheduling had no part in it.
Unless you have first hand knowledge of the schedules in question that's a pretty bold statement, considering your average northern operator's proclivity for fucking with crews' schedules, including the infamous day shift to night shift swap (or vice versa).

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

valleyboy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:21 pm
This *might* be an point if they knew when their reserve or duty would start and end. At this kind of operator, I doubt this was the case.

JL
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JL »

pelmet wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:17 pm
JL wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:29 pm And how do you think the quality of the interviews will be if the interviewee knew that their statements or portions of their statements would be made public.
Why don't you contact the NTSB for such information based on first hand experience.

However, seeing as that may not be a realistic thing to do, here is an example for you of the AC incident in SFO a few years back with details of the interviews with the captain and F/O. Of course it is quite extensive but it shows how it can be done effectively.

https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/61000-61499 ... 614632.pdf

Something for our TSB to consider.
I am glad you provided an example. If you look closely it is not even the pilot's exact statement or his own words, it is a summary or paraphrase of his words. Probably the least factual thing you could do. It is not what the pilot said...it what the NTSB investigator thought the pilot said. I would hope the NTSB has a process to ensure that the summaries are faithful to the original.

Getting back to the original thought about how humans in general may provide information; especially one in a culture where litigation is prevelent. I personally would be more forthright with information knowing that the statement was protected and that no form of it would become part of the public domain.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”