Rock your wings - on the preflight inspection

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Rock your wings - on the preflight inspection

Post by pelmet »

The discussion is for light aircraft of course.

Do you rock your wings on the pre-flight inspection? I do. There can be more than one reason to do so. For example, to move water contamination in fuel that may be trapped.

But there is at least one other important reason, at least on some types of aircraft. If the wing is structurally unsound, it may be revealed at this point. Admittedly, your typical C172 or Piper Cherokee is unlikely to be loose but what about on those fabric covered aircraft such as the Citabria you rent or some biplane, etc. That being said, I do it even on the Bonanza, 172,Grumman, etc. Rock the wing up and down while looking at it for anything unusual.

You may just find out that the spar is broken or an attachment fitting is missing.

This pilot obviously didn't do that and he paid for it with his life. The struts on one side were not secured to the airframe....

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/06/l ... ident.html
---------- ADS -----------

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Rock your wings - on the preflight inspection

Post by jakeandelwood »

I've heard this is especially true for planes with bladder fuel tanks as small wrinkles develop on the bottom further preventing water from finding its way to the drain.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yes, water trapped in wrinkles was an issue in the C 310 I used to fly, I rocked the wings.

When I first started getting to know my new 150 32 years ago, I rocked the wings. I heard the rattle of a screwdriver handle inside the wing as it rolled around. After a few attempts, I was able to see it, and pick it out. It has "HITCH" scratched into the yellow handle, so Hitch, if you're missing a slotted screwdriver, I have it!

Following the PA-28R wing separation last year, a Youtube video was posted showing another PA-28 which the pilot rocked the wing preflight, and it was noticeably loose.

I used to fly an SW300Cbi helicopter. I would "rock" the tailboom preflight. Over time (as I flew it over years) a "creak" developed in a bolted joint, which once I reported, was attended to with some alarm.

Have respect for what you're grabbing to rock the airframe, some parts aren't intended for that, but yes, apply suitable manual force to the airframe preflight. Do not press on stabilizer tips with force enough to lift a nosewheel of, they're not designed for that, and can be broken. Unlike a wing, the stabilizer is designed for symmetrical forces only. Gentle on those, hand forces can crack ribs.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

During an annual inspection on a Cessna 185 years ago, my father found a large screw driver where the upper strut to wing bolt should be. Upon grabbing the wing tip we could move the wing up and down with the accompanying clunk. We called the owner over to show him. Visibly shaken, he said he had wondered for a while why there was a clunking noise when flying in turbulence!

Apparently the airplane had been flying for some time with a screwdriver holding the wing. :(

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

PilotDAR wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:24 am Following the PA-28R wing separation last year, a Youtube video was posted showing another PA-28 which the pilot rocked the wing preflight, and it was noticeably loose.

Thanks,

The video is here proving that a Cherokee can have a loose wing. Which is why you should rock your wings during the pre-flight. It might save your life......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFYf42UE9gk

bodyflyer2
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bodyflyer2 »

J31 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:00 pm my father found a large screw driver where the upper strut to wing bolt should be.
I remember a Canadian incident report that was similar. It was on some light aircraft, can't recall if it was some advanced ultralight or Aeronca Champ style plane, but after some rigging work, a circuit was flown with a screwdriver in place of a wing strut bolt somewhere...

switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

How many of us have had a loose horizontal stab on a DC3?
I personally got screamed at for 'shaking' the stab and discovering a loud clunking noise.

How many of us have had a loose float? Especially on a Beech 18.

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

pelmet wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:16 am The discussion is for light aircraft of course.

Do you rock your wings on the pre-flight inspection? I do. There can be more than one reason to do so. For example, to move water contamination in fuel that may be trapped.

But there is at least one other important reason, at least on some types of aircraft. If the wing is structurally unsound, it may be revealed at this point. Admittedly, your typical C172 or Piper Cherokee is unlikely to be loose but what about on those fabric covered aircraft such as the Citabria you rent or some biplane, etc. That being said, I do it even on the Bonanza, 172,Grumman, etc. Rock the wing up and down while looking at it for anything unusual.

You may just find out that the spar is broken or an attachment fitting is missing.

This pilot obviously didn't do that and he paid for it with his life. The struts on one side were not secured to the airframe....

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/06/l ... ident.html
Always do it, up to a certain size.

Same with the stab.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Good point about the stab as well using an appropriate level of force.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

pelmet wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:45 pm Good point about the stab as well using an appropriate level of force.
Yes, you don't want to break that which ain't broken. Or start something small which becomes big.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”