Watch that thumb-switch

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Watch that thumb-switch

Post by pelmet »

"C-FTYI, an Aerospatiale AS 350 B-2 aircraft operated by Yellowhead Helicopters, departed from
Valemount Heli (CBV7), BC to conduct external load operations in a remote area located 56 nm
southwest of CBV7, with only the pilot on board. During slinging operations, the pilot inadvertently
depressed the cargo hook release button, resulting in the release of the net load. There were no
injuries."

Ok, I admit that I have no idea where the release switch is on the AS350 but it did remind me of a couple of stories. Going back and forth between a couple of Light Sport Aircraft within the past year, both have the PTT on the control stick along with the electric trim. But they are in reversed locations. One day I am flying through a control zone and ATC gives me information on traffic at 1 o'clock. As I reply to him, the aircraft is attempting to pitch up more and more until I am using a lot of force to counter what feels like a trim runaway. Of course, I was not transmitting to ATC, I was trimming nose-up, meanwhile ATC is trying to get hold of me again because I didn't reply to him.

One training captain I flew with many years ago told me about accidentally dumping his fire retardant load in someone's yard(possibly the local chief of the tribe) as he attempted to make a radio transmission the way he did on his previous aircraft...by pushing a button in the location where it was located on the previous type.

And then there is the guy repeatedly disconnecting the autopilot in the Airbus by trying to transmit with his thumb instead on using his trigger finger.

All rather embarrassing, but could cause damage. It is called overcoming instinct, I guess.
---------- ADS -----------

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Watch that thumb-switch

Post by Chris M »

I would have thought a load release switch would be guarded in some manner? Unless the pilot was intentionally flying with the guard open. Seems like a good way to destroy the load and squash people on the ground.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Watch that thumb-switch

Post by Heliian »

Chris M wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:45 am I would have thought a load release switch would be guarded in some manner? Unless the pilot was intentionally flying with the guard open. Seems like a good way to destroy the load and squash people on the ground.
There should never be anyone under a sling load.

There may have been a guard but it could have been up too. The release switches are on the collective and they can be in different locations. I know a guy that dropped a net load of pigs while reaching to do a power change. Just one bump is all it takes.

The pigs were never located.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”