Door Opening Caused Accident

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Rank 11
Rank 11

Door Opening Caused Accident

Post by pelmet » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:36 am

"C-ILLE, the Quad City Challenger II Advanced Ultra Light (Amphibious) aircraft, was in cruise when
the left cockpit door opened resulting in the aircraft entering a slow uncontrolled roll. The pilot was
able to return to the lake but struck the water surface in a non level attitude. The aircraft was
substantially damaged and the pilot, who was wearing a four point safety belt, received minor
injuries."

I know that it can be difficult to close doors that have opened in flight on some low wing aircraft but usually it is just a distraction with perhaps a few minor other consequences. But it looks like the Challenger ultralight actually has serious control issues with the door open. Anybody had any experience with this or similar aircraft?
---------- ADS -----------

JasonE
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Door Opening Caused Accident

Post by JasonE » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:24 am

You're not a Cherokee pilot officially till you've had the door pop open in flight. Non-event, just a bit noisy. There is only 1 way to get it to close again in flight - side slip into the wind and pop the little window open to create suction as you latch it.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:29 pm

JasonE wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:24 am
You're not a Cherokee pilot officially till you've had the door pop open in flight. Non-event, just a bit noisy. There is only 1 way to get it to close again in flight - side slip into the wind and pop the little window open to create suction as you latch it.
I saw a picture of a cabinet handle screwed into the latch housing inside a Cherokee so the pilot had something he could pull on to engage the latch.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:07 pm

I've flown a Challenger and had a prop go to bits over the Coquihalla after a couple of bolts came out of the tower mount, took a few spins inside the belt and spit out into the prop. Immediate shutdown.

Aztecs were bad for doors popping, and dangerous when they did. I had one pop on liftoff at Pan Phillips strip north of Anaheim. Five forestry guys on board. Door went out to the nacelle, robbing air off the elevator on that side, and lucky to have got it under a form of control and down on Tsacha Lake strip. Adding flaps on final was almost fatal.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.

goldeneagle
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by goldeneagle » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:44 pm

cncpc wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:07 pm
Aztecs were bad for doors popping, and dangerous when they did.
Back in the early 80's I flew an aztec that had a nasty habit of popping the door shortly after liftoff. It happened to me 3 times over 5 days, maintenance kept telling me there was nothing wrong with the door. She shakes pretty good when you slow up a bit with the door open. Take the head honcho from the shop for a circuit and open the door right after liftoff, tell him to get it closed. When you land, plane goes right into the shop and surprise surprise, door never opened again after that.

pelmet
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by pelmet » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:33 pm

pelmet wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:36 am
"C-ILLE, the Quad City Challenger II Advanced Ultra Light (Amphibious) aircraft, was in cruise when
the left cockpit door opened resulting in the aircraft entering a slow uncontrolled roll. The pilot was
able to return to the lake but struck the water surface in a non level attitude. The aircraft was
substantially damaged and the pilot, who was wearing a four point safety belt, received minor
injuries."

I know that it can be difficult to close doors that have opened in flight on some low wing aircraft but usually it is just a distraction with perhaps a few minor other consequences. But it looks like the Challenger ultralight actually has serious control issues with the door open. Anybody had any experience with this or similar aircraft?
C-ICWI, the Quad City Challenger II Special aircraft, was taking off from Camden East Airport
(CCE6) when the cabin door opened. The pilot attempted to close the door and landed
immediately; the aircraft bounced on touchdown, impacted the ground and nosed over. The pilot
received minor injuries and the aircraft was substantially damaged.

KissPlusOne
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by KissPlusOne » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:36 pm

I had the door of a Pawnee slam open on me just after takeoff (it was my first flight in the plane, and hadn't quite latched it properly). Quite impossible to close in the air. It was February in Southern Alberta, so not too cold. Cranked the heat, and had an enjoyable flight :)

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”