Central Alberta airshow accident

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

bigsky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Central Alberta airshow accident

Post by bigsky »

The sole occupant of a small plane performing in the Smith Fall Fair in northern Alberta has died after the aircraft crashed.

Slave Lake RCMP and emergency crews responded to a crash site east of the hamlet of Smith at approximately 12:30 p.m. Saturday, a news release said.

RCMP said two small planes were performing acrobatic manoeuvres for spectators at the Smith Fall Fair when one disappeared. It was discovered an hour later, and the pilot was pronounced dead at the scene.

Transport Canada has been contacted as the investigation continues.

“Our thoughts are with the family of the deceased at this time,” RCMP Const. Chantelle Kelly said in the release.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local- ... rn-alberta

Condolences
---------- ADS -----------

There is no substitute for BIG JUGS!!
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Central Alberta airshow accident

Post by AirFrame »

I've been trying to figure out more about this for the last half a day. They were performing for a show, so you'd think they'd be close to the venue, but the plane "went missing" and couldn't be found for an hour. Seems very odd?

The poster for the show says "Barry Pendrak Airshow":
http://www.smithalberta.ca/uploads/7/6/ ... df__3_.pdf

Another news story says they talked to Barry Pendrak:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/one-perso ... -1.4573572

Apparently the plane was a Nanchang (also mentioned in the above article).

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

AirFrame wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:35 am I've been trying to figure out more about this for the last half a day. They were performing for a show, so you'd think they'd be close to the venue, but the plane "went missing" and couldn't be found for an hour. Seems very odd?

The poster for the show says "Barry Pendrak Airshow":
http://www.smithalberta.ca/uploads/7/6/ ... df__3_.pdf

Another news story says they talked to Barry Pendrak:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/one-perso ... -1.4573572

Apparently the plane was a Nanchang (also mentioned in the above article).
How about having some respect rather than try to pick apart the semantics. He was loved by many and died, please stop your armchair investigation, unless you have something constructive to say.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

I agree that it's very sad that someone died but I don't see this as disrespectful at all and certainly not semantics. There was no impugning the pilot's skill or any other aspect of their flying, merely a comment that it seems strange that it would take an hour to find an aircraft the was performing right by an airport. And I agree, that it is very odd and also wonder why it would take searchers an hour to find the aircraft.

The only question I see relates to the skill of the people running the show and/or searching - why did it take them so long?

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I but I don't see this as disrespectful at all and certainly not semantics.
I think many of us do.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
yak driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yak driver »

Don't know who the driver was, but I put 600+ hours on that airplane.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/228651

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

I have seen no disrespect in any of the questions or comments...

J

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Mick G wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:31 pmHow about having some respect rather than try to pick apart the semantics. He was loved by many and died, please stop your armchair investigation, unless you have something constructive to say.
Sorry to have offended you. I thought it odd that they took so long to find the plane, and simply included other public information that wasn't present in the initial report. It was a public performance, and this is a public forum, there's no expectation of privacy here. No disrespect to the pilot was intended, it was mostly a desire for more information from those who may *know* what happened, so (a) I could determine whether I knew the pilot, and (b) maybe we could learn from the event.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

It seems that Smith doesn't have an airstrip so the airshow was near the town but not an airport. Exiting the show airspace would require flying back to wherever the aircraft had launched - and therefore an accident on the way would require time to find the aircraft.

I, like others, didn't realize this when reading the report. So no need to question the people running the show or looking for the aircraft.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

5x5 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:18 pmIt seems that Smith doesn't have an airstrip so the airshow was near the town but not an airport. Exiting the show airspace would require flying back to wherever the aircraft had launched - and therefore an accident on the way would require time to find the aircraft.
Ah, that does make a lot of sense. Thanks!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

"C-FTGZ, a Nanchang CJ6A, was participating in an air demonstration in the vicinity of Smith, AB.
After the air demonstration was complete the aircraft struck terrain while returning to a private
airstrip where the aircraft was based. The pilot, who was the sole occupant, was fatally injured.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

https://tsb.gc.ca/eng/enquetes-investig ... W0124.html

Apparently was still doing aerobatics after the show(a roll) and crashed during this time. While not mentioned in the report, it wouldn't surprise me if it was at low level and control was lost.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”