Oopsy poopsy

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Oopsy poopsy

Post by rigpiggy »

---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Oopsy poopsy

Post by pelmet »

The 72 is more prone to a tail strike than a 42. The guy pulled aft on the control column significantly in the flare......bad idea. A firm landing on the mains is preferable, possibly assisted by a temporary increase in power if an undesirable sink rate is encountered. Similar for most long body types I would think.

Last edited by pelmet on Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

A quick rattle-can and nobody will know

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

A quick rattle-can and nobody will know
Is this how we mentor reporting and resolving defects in aircraft?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I assumed that comment was sarcasm.

Tail strikes are typically quite expensive to fix

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

goingnowherefast wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:18 am I assumed that comment was sarcasm.

Tail strikes are typically quite expensive to fix
Yeah, no sarcasm there, I can't recall the amount of times that I have had a similar tail-strike only to quickly hide it with polish and/or paint. Never had any plane go down since and no one ever noticed. A few of these ol'girls went on to be retired, not one the wiser. I always carry a couple of rattle cans just in case. I once borrowed a electric polisher from a local car detailing plant, walked back to the airport and polished up a crease on fuselage in the middle of the night. When the security came around asking me what I was doing, I just said it was part of the pre flight. They didn't bat an eye. Another time early in my aviation career, I had a very hard nosewheel landing resulting in a substantial crease in for forward fuselage. The crease was from downdraft on a botched landing, the entire front of the aircraft cabin, just aft of the front wheel buckled, but with some quick thinking, a hammer and dolly and a bit of sweat equity, I went on to captain the same airplane later in my career. Nobody died and I kept my job. Most importantly the aircraft was kept in service and the following day, the passengers made it to the destination. At a similar time in my career, I ran a fuel truck into the RH wing, taking out a rather large section of wing. I didn't say anything and the pane wen on several more flights before maintenance caught it. It was great not being caught. Some things are just worth staying quiet about, especially when you have a family to feed :lol:

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

I have some experience with ATRs. 72 can be very unfriendly to land sometimes.
Easy to have a bad weight and balance and also the pax door is in the back. Passengers tend to stay or to move to the back to stay close to the exit door.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”